What currency do I use in European countries

rsail203

We're taking a b2b cruise on the Eclipse in August. We'll be going to England, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Russia, Germany, and Norway. What currencies will I have to have to make purchases in these countries.

Rich

In the UK, you will use pounds, in Germany you will use Euros. In Denmark, Sweden and Norway they each have their own krona. Estonia uses the Euro. In Russia you use rubles, but on the tours we took, our guide spent her rubles, and we repaid her in U.S. Dollars or Euros. As I recall, changing money into Rubles is complicated. Be aware also, that if you take a tour in Russia, the tour company will usually arrange your visas, which are only good for that tour. If you want to walk off the ship on your own, you will need to obtain a visa.

In the UK, you will use pounds, in Germany you will use Euros. In Denmark, Sweden and Norway they each have their own krona. Estonia uses the Euro. In Russia you use rubles, but on the tours we took, our guide spent her rubles, and we repaid her in U.S. Dollars or Euros. As I recall, changing money into Rubles is complicated. Be aware also, that if you take a tour in Russia, the tour company will usually arrange your visas, which are only good for that tour. If you want to walk off the ship on your own, you will need to obtain a visa.

We are going to Russia in two weeks, most of us on the roll call have been sent an email from individual companies to notify us, that the tour companies will no longer accept USD or Euros, so we have had to order Rubles

When we went to SPB although the cost of the tour with Alla was quoted in USD we paid in Rubles on our CC. Easy. In fact, we didn't have any local currency except Euros which we always have a supply.

Everywhere accepts CC

We're taking a b2b cruise on the Eclipse in August. We'll be going to England, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Russia, Germany, and Norway. What currencies will I have to have to make purchases in these countries.

Rich

The local currency for each country

We very rarely take cash any more, unless going to some comparitively obscure country we use a dedicated credit card that is easily topped up each time we have internet or phone signal. We travel all around continental Europe for work and this works the best for us. If we think we will need cash, we take it out when we get to the country.

That said, not been to Russia or Estonia, this might not work quite so easily...

Bbwex is correct except the Russian government made a change in the last 2 weeks stopping them taking dollars, so follow the guidance from the your co. The souvenir places in Russia take both dollars and euros.

Sweden will take euros in most places but Denmark won't

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I go on a ship excursion, I can't go to a local ATM to get local currency. I assume I would have to get it in advance. Where can I get Denmark, Sweden, and Norway currency? Can american banks get small amounts of currency before the cruise?

If I go on a ship excursion, I can't go to a local ATM to get local currency. I assume I would have to get it in advance. Where can I get Denmark, Sweden, and Norway currency? Can american banks get small amounts of currency before the cruise?

Those countries are almost cashless countries these days. Just get yourself a CC that makes no charges for foreign transactions.

They can, but really not worth it, given the possibility of unused cash and the huge buy-sell rate gap. Just have a couple of credit cards, ideally ones with no extra charge for cash advances or foreign currency transactions.

If you're in the UK for a while, you get get some sterling from an ATM once here. Ditto Eurozone.

Stuart

I can't think of any time that I needed cash on a ship excursion last year and we did one every day there was port day. Any place that you are taken to, including the shops where you are taken as part of the tour are set up for cards as it makes business sense if they are in a deal with Cruise lines, or based in a known cruise excursion area. And if you have free time, you are normally able to find an ATM in any of the places you are dropped off at - certainly in continental Europe. And last year, we were pleasantly surprised at the amount of places accepting Android or Apple Pay and contactless cards.

I also thought I saw a desk on The Reflection where you could sort foreign currency, but I accept I might be mistaken on that!

You can just exchange the money at the airport. Just tell them the places you intend to visit and they will do the rest!

Airports are notorious for giving the worst rates of exchange. It's already been mentioned that many European countries, particularly Northern European are now almost cashless societies.

Twenty plus years ago, you carried an ever increasing mix of currencies throughout Europe. Today, other than "maybe" paying for a cab (most have card machines), you do essentially everything with a card. I usually get Euros because I'm frequently on business and splitting checks (which can be done by card as well, just sometimes more effort) and GBP when in the UK, but otherwise a card with no foreign transaction fees is all you need.

And I agree that the airport currency exchange services are horrible. And most of the ATMs at the airports are run by the same companies.

If you're a member of AAA you can purchase foreign currency through them for no additional fees. They require a minimum purchase of $200.00 in foreign currency but it can be made up of any different kinds as long as total adds up to $200.00 USD. So you could purchase rubles, euros, kronas, etc in one transaction (as long as you meet $200.00 requirement).

Peg

If you're a member of AAA you can purchase foreign currency through them for no additional fees. They require a minimum purchase of $200.00 in foreign currency but it can be made up of any different kinds as long as total adds up to $200.00 USD. So you could purchase rubles, euros, kronas, etc in one transaction (as long as you meet $200.00 requirement).

Peg

And if you don't use it, get a 10% worse rate changing back to $$$, if they'll accept small amounts back. The era of carrying lots of different currencies really is over, thankfully.

Stuart

Dont count on cash here in Norway.. I can hardly remember when I used bills last time. Even things as public toilets and flea markets uses credit/debit cards, or mobile apps. ( Most common payment app is called "Vipps").

Our currency Krone is rather weak against EUR and US dollars these days. A nice advantage considering the price level here..

You will actually have a hard time using currency Sweden and Norway. They are rapidly becoming cashless societies. Even small purchases, a bottle of water or an ice cream cone are paid by CC. Last year on a 2 week trip on the ground I got my usual currencies at ATMs and found myself hustling to use up the money a time at the end. Be sure your CC does not add fees.

Also the SPB tour companies will take your CC you just can no longer pay in cash with dollars, euros, etc. let your bank do the conversions.

Peg

They may not charge any fees but their exchange rate is terrible. Same is true for most places in the US that say they are "no fee" -- they make it up in the lousy exchange.

To the OP: Just use your cards and if you really need cash you can use an ATM. (Do you not think cruise ship tours walk past ATM machines? I notice them all the time when I'm traveling in Europe....)

It depends... in Italy for 8 days post cruise. All taxi drivers only want cash, even many gelato shops. Our 700 Euros are burning through very quickly and we are wondering how to pay for taxi fare to the airport without pulling out more cash. We are also needing to have small amounts to tip tour guides. I guess we did not plan well.

Just back from Norway....we took equivalent to £100 for small item expenditure off the ship. We bought a couple of souvenirs (which we could have paid for on card). Quality items are really expensive as are food and drink so you would pay for them on card anyway.....Most of our Krona came back with us...(a good excuse for a return visit?)

Next time we would not bother taking any currency. Just not needed.

Re the U.K. I would suggest having some cash just for smaller items. Small shops would be reluctant to take a card for a bottle of water or an ice cream. Some taxis also do not have card payment.

It depends... in Italy for 8 days post cruise. All taxi drivers only want cash, even many gelato shops. Our 700 Euros are burning through very quickly and we are wondering how to pay for taxi fare to the airport without pulling out more cash. We are also needing to have small amounts to tip tour guides. I guess we did not plan well.

Italy and the Northern Europe are worlds apart in terms of the need for small cash. In Italy I suspect it's still a bit of a game to see what you can withhold from taxation....

If the OP is taking ship tours, as noted, there should be very little need for cash. Only if, perhaps, there was some kind of local market for food or small handicrafts could I see a need; or perhaps a church that requests a few coins' donation to enter.