Staying on ship during a port day

We are considering not doing an excursion during our stop at Falmouth. We will get off the ship and walk the port but we don't want to take an hour bus ride for an excursion. What are the crowds like on the ship during a port day? Are there any cool extras or closed activities that occur on those days? Any recommendations on what to do on days like that? Thanks!

The Falmouth port inside the gates is like fake Disneyland Jamaica, but you really don't want to go outside the gates on foot. There is a Margaritaville inside the gates that attracts a lot of people.

We've only been off in port once and that was because we wanted to buy something that was only available in Naples. The ship will be mostly empty and there won't be much in the way of activities. It's a great way to enjoy some peace and quiet on the ship... I love being onboard while mostly everyone else is in port.

The Falmouth port inside the gates is like fake Disneyland Jamaica, but you really don't want to go outside the gates on foot. There is a Margaritaville inside the gates that attracts a lot of people.

I have walked around Falmouth - the REAL Falmouth - several times. By myself. I experienced no problems.

We are considering not doing an excursion during our stop at Falmouth. We will get off the ship and walk the port but we don't want to take an hour bus ride for an excursion. What are the crowds like on the ship during a port day? Are there any cool extras or closed activities that occur on those days? Any recommendations on what to do on days like that? Thanks!

We stay on the ship quite often. It depends on the ship and port, but it is typically very quiet on the ship. Only one time was it more crowded than expected - our recent spring break cruise on FOS in St Kitts.

As for activities, I agree with another poster to check Cruise Compass postings here or on other sites. On Oasis we were disappointed with the limited hours for activities available in port. We thought we would be able to have rock climbing or the zipline with short lines, but those did not open until the afternoon when most people had already returned from excursions.

Enjoy your cruise!

As reported that "many stay on the ship"...well I would say it's just the opposite, not many people stay on the ship....K.O.

I have also walked around outside the gate. I've been with another person but never had any issues.

M

I think most people who says that you shouldn't go out the gate in Falmouth has never been outside the gate and is going on what somebody else said who has never been outside the gate!

I think most people who says that you shouldn't go out the gate in Falmouth has never been outside the gate and is going on what somebody else said who has never been outside the gate!

First photo is one I took inside the gate. Second photo I took outside the gate while leaving Falmouth in a taxi. Lots of litter and boarded up shacks. Not sure where you would go except maybe to the convenience store on the right.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

We have done Dunn's River and a couple of other excursions and on our last sailing to Falmouth, we did get off and go eat at Mararitaville and then back on ship. Nothing special onboard other than less people.

There are some folks (like us) who have been to Jamaica MANY times over the years and have seen the "real" Jamaica and done the popular things there who decide not to do tours/shore excursions when docked at Falmouth. :)

Since we have done many of the excursions for Jamaica, I stayed on the ship last year. Hubby decided to walk around and did go outside the gated area. He was alone and was approached by a woman who tried to get him to follow her down an alley "to show you something". Obviously, he said no and walked back to the ship. I think Falmouth is like any other town. Be aware of your surroundings and don't let yourself be taken for a fool.

The ship was fairly quiet and one can enjoy the quiet by the pool or solarium. We were on the Allure and I don't remember any special activities for people who remained on the ship.

Love staying on ship , like some earlier post we like Jamaica and have cruised here a dozen times and done many resorts , but not much around this port, we normally walk around for about a hour then back on ship and hang out by pool.

Our experience in Jamaica is different. You need to look at the port and be cautious of the areas outside of the port.

We left the ship and walked around the gated area to another gated door.

We opened it and we were the only non residents and everyone stared at us.

Jamaica is beautiful Take a ship or trusted agent excursion but be cautious of traveling on your own.

Others can agree or disagree. I have flown to the island on many occaisions; know the island well and hope you have a great experience.

Like many US cities, be cautious of your surroundings.