Goodbye to best Southern Caribbean 14,day Itinerary!

luv4cruises

Hoping they bring the 14-day Itinerary back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We do too, but can see their $$$thought process and migration to a demographic that is working and harder to take off more than a week and willing to spend more for the cruise experience onboard. Our DD and SIL don't blink a bit about spending $100 on a mid week meal out.

Also, there are more couples without kids in the new primary target demographic and that too provides them with more disposable income.

I would think though some itineraries will stay at 14/15 days. Panama Canal unless they only do a partial transit going in and back out of Gatun Lake. We did that on Princess many years ago and even that one was 10 days. Would think the South American itineraries will also stay at 14 days.

I'm glad we're on the Eclipse this November. We've done this itinerary twice on the Connie & this will be three times on Eclipse. We prefer the 14 nighters to a b2b

7 days just isn't worth the airfare.

I concur. We're usually away for three to four weeks. I'd have zero interest in just doing a cruise from the US so we combine it with a land trip too which offers great value overall IMHO.

I am disappointed that the 14 day Southern Caribbean sailing has been scrapped though. We very much enjoyed it. B2B's just don't appeal to me at all. Seeing the same starting point midway through your trip isn't in the least bit appealing and it's great to see 'more exotic' islands, for want of a better phrase!

I'm not sure Edge will replace Eclipse but I would be delighted to see it happen.

I concur. We're usually away for three to four weeks. I'd have zero interest in just doing a cruise from the US so we combine it with a land trip too which offers great value overall IMHO.

I am disappointed that the 14 day Southern Caribbean sailing has been scrapped though. We very much enjoyed it. B2B's just don't appeal to me at all. Seeing the same starting point midway through your trip isn't in the least bit appealing and it's great to see 'more exotic' islands, for want of a better phrase!

I'm not sure Edge will replace Eclipse but I would be delighted to see it happen.

I also would like to see Edge take on the 14 day Itinerary ... probably wishful thinking ...

Time to try another cruise line!

There are alternative 14 day itineraries from more upscale lines available which look good. From a pricing perspective suites can be comparable, though those booking insides, OV and lower end balcony rooms would find them very expensive. But that won't be a shock to anybody on here.

That said there are 14 night, 14 port sailings available too for those not bothered about sea days. So to some, these sailings will be good value.

There are alternative 14 day itineraries from more upscale lines available which look good. From a pricing perspective suites can be comparable, though those booking insides, OV and lower end balcony rooms would find them very expensive. But that won't be a shock to anybody on here.

That said there are 14 night, 14 port sailings available too for those not bothered about sea days. So to some, these sailings will be good value.

Something for everyone!

Something for everyone!

There sure is. Check out Carnival Pride sailing from Baltimore on Jan 7th 2018. Fourteen nights in the Caribbean from just £860 ($1379). Now that's cheap..... :D :D :D

Hi Everyone,

Many interesting comments ! Agree on the huge disappointment of Celebrity ending the 14 night Caribbean sailings for the Winter 2018/2019 season. It's our favorite Celebrity itinerary by far. For us, it's a double loss, as we LOVE sailing on Eclipse, and she's moving to South America in Late 2018. I suspect the comments on the popularity of shorter sailings, demographics, and profitability all play into such decisions.

Sure, there's Silhouette for 12 nights. With virtually no other longer options than 12 nights in the Winter 2018/2019 Caribbean season (there's 1 Reflection 14 night sailing in December 2018) - we currently have 3 SIL sailings booked. However, the itinerary isn't as great as Eclipse's. For us, that's not an issue, as we sail for the wonderful Celebrity experience, and not for the ports.

I guess something had to give, when X decided to get back into the short itineraries with Infinity for the Winter 2018/2019 season. They chose to move Infinity into that role, and needed another ship for South America (Eclipse). I also suspect that South America must have been selling well, and Celebrity wanted additional capacity.

This is what happens, when you can use a few more ships, and Celebrity has stayed at a relatively fixed rate of ships over the years. In other words, when a new class of ships are sailing, an older class leaves the fleet.

As Celebrity has been putting $$$ into the M-Class, let's hope that as the Edge Class ships enter the fleet over the next few years, Celebrity will refrain from reducing/eliminating the M-Class - ideally enabling Celebrity to expand, and have additional ship/itinerary flexibility. Time will tell.

I am so sad to see the 14 day sailing disappear on Celebrity. Our Eclipse sailing last year was one of my most favorites! Shorter sailings are just not worth all the trouble involved in getting to the port IMO.

Ditto !! We were on the April 2nd sailing and loved it! :cool:

I also would like to see Edge take on the 14 day Itinerary ... probably wishful thinking ...

Hi Gstonelake,

I suspect a 12-14 night Edge Caribbean itinerary will happen eventually - but probably not until the 3rd or 4th Edge ship is sailing. Just my guess.

Some generalisations there I think.

My wife and I are not that old - I'm 50 my wife is mid 40s. We regularly take 2-3 week vacations from work and have done since our 20s. We both think you never feel as though you are benefitting from the break until you get into the second week. We are not going to get on a plane and fly half way around the world for 7 days.

In the U.K. (And I think it applies to Europe as well) we usually get quite a generous paid annual leave entitlement. We are fortunate that my wife and I both get 6 weeks annual leave (I actually 6.5) plus bank holidays, Plus we can accrue flexi leave and bank leave from one year to the next. Plus many employees now allow flexible working and the option to take unpaid leave and career breaks.

When a cruise line say chops a 14 night cruise into two 7 night ones I wonder what the extra costs are associated with

(1) marketing and selling twice the number of cabins

(2) paying for an extra day in the turnaround port (all the contract staff that have to be brought in to facilitate the changeover)

(3) the extra fuel costs for the cruiseline having to get back to port and back out again (on longer cruises some of our overnight hops have been very short distances )

The 14 night cruise attracted a large number of retired people from the United States and Canada. There were some other nationalities on board. In the USA, many people get 2 weeks paid vacation. Some people accrue more vacation time after working several years. I was a teacher. I got more time than my spouse. I also got less pay. While we were both working, we usually took one week vacations. One week cruises fit our time retraints and money. While I am sad that Celebrity will not continue the 14 night Caribbean cruises, I do understand why they are doing it. It offers more options to more people. I prefer a 14 night cruise to a b2b. A 7 night cruise makes more money for the Celebrity.

Hi Everyone,

Many interesting comments ! Agree on the huge disappointment of Celebrity ending the 14 night Caribbean sailings for the Winter 2018/2019 season. It's our favorite Celebrity itinerary by far. For us, it's a double loss, as we LOVE sailing on Eclipse, and she's moving to South America in Late 2018. I suspect the comments on the popularity of shorter sailings, demographics, and profitability all play into such decisions.

Sure, there's Silhouette for 12 nights. With virtually no other longer options than 12 nights in the Winter 2018/2019 Caribbean season (there's 1 Reflection 14 night sailing in December 2018) - we currently have 3 SIL sailings booked. However, the itinerary isn't as great as Eclipse's. For us, that's not an issue, as we sail for the wonderful Celebrity experience, and not for the ports.

I guess something had to give, when X decided to get back into the short itineraries with Infinity for the Winter 2018/2019 season. They chose to move Infinity into that role, and needed another ship for South America (Eclipse). I also suspect that South America must have been selling well, and Celebrity wanted additional capacity.

This is what happens, when you can use a few more ships, and Celebrity has stayed at a relatively fixed rate of ships over the years. In other words, when a new class of ships are sailing, an older class leaves the fleet.

As Celebrity has been putting $$$ into the M-Class, let's hope that as the Edge Class ships enter the fleet over the next few years, Celebrity will refrain from reducing/eliminating the M-Class - ideally enabling Celebrity to expand, and have additional ship/itinerary flexibility. Time will tell.

Andy - We've sailed the 14 day winter cruises on the Eclipse for the last 4 or 5 years, now transitioning into B2B 28 day cruises.

I love them and could continue them for a long while into the future. :(

We also looked at (and currently have booked) those 3 B2B2B Silhouette sailings in February 2019. But I looked at the dates and all sailings include 2 weekends and one work week. I think those kind of dates attract a different crowd than what we're comfortable with (a little more of a loud, partying group).

Just a heads up in case you hadn't thought about this.

I'm sure that's what Celebrity is looking to attract (goodbye Modern Luxury :() because they spend more on board but it doesn't work for us so we're looking at new options for 2019. :)

We're also some of those "starting to feel like 'chopped liver' seniors" who have loved leaving Winter behind for 14 days aboard the beautiful Eclipse! We've made wonderful friends that we look forward to reuniting with each year...so disappointed to lose this connection. Seems our future cruising is in doubt.

There sure is. Check out Carnival Pride sailing from Baltimore on Jan 7th 2018. Fourteen nights in the Caribbean from just £860 ($1379). Now that's cheap..... :D :D :D

Not really. Baltimore is a long way from the Caribbean, probably a 2 day sail to reach warm Caribbean weather and another 2 days to return. At best this is a 10 day Caribbean cruise. It would not be unusual to see snow in Baltimore in January. Not my idea of a winter Caribbean cruise.

• 8 months later...

My wife & I have cruised with Celebrity 9 times after sailing with 2 other cruise companies previously and have enjoyed the last 7 years taking advantage of the 14 day southern carribbean. It is with great disappointment that this itinerary will be discontinued. Many faithfull celebrity passengers are not at all happy with this decision as well. It may force many people to look else were in order to full fill their needs in the near future. Personally I don't think this was the best choice by Celebrity.

It’s a shame from our not-yet-retired perspective too. Even though we’ve only a short flight to Miami or Fort Lauderdale, it’s so difficult to get time away that it’s not worth it for a 7-day cruise. That’s simply not enough time to relax enough to forget all our passwords lol. We’re not attracted by the “booze cruise” reputation of the short cruises either. However, Celebrity’s marketing predictions may be inaccurate. If they don’t fill their 7-day cruises, I expect they’ll bring back the 14-day cruises the following year.

We are the 14 Night Reflection on Dec 7, 2018. I was looking at moving it to 2019 because it's going to be tough to save that much vacation. But now that I see they only have 1 sailing in Jan 2019 I think I am going to try to keep this booking. It looks like such a nice itinerary.