Goodbye to best Southern Caribbean 14,day Itinerary!

luv4cruises

Still can’t get over how little annual leave people get in the states. I work for a local authority and I get 33 days plus 5 public holidays. Someone mentioned sick days coming off holiday leave, that’s just wrong.

It’s not wrong if the company is more generous with holiday time. We start staff at 4 weeks holiday. what they do with that time is their business. After three years, you go to 5 weeks and I think we have at least 10 public holidays.

It’s not wrong if the company is more generous with holiday time. We start staff at 4 weeks holiday. what they do with that time is their business. After three years, you go to 5 weeks and I think we have at least 10 public holidays.

Not for me, you should never be genuinely ill and have that time taken off your annual leave. That’s morally wrong in every way in my book.

I don't think the concept of shorter cruises being party cruises refers to 7 vs 9 or 12 day cruises. The short party cruises usually refers to 3 and 4 day cruises.

Actually, I have seen 7 day cruises referred to as party cruises by a few frequent posters. Since these posters have much more experience than I, and typically post rational, balanced assessments, I’ll avoid 7 day Caribbean cruises until I learn more.

Actually, I have seen 7 day cruises referred to as party cruises by a few frequent posters. Since these posters have much more experience than I, and typically post rational, balanced assessments, I’ll avoid 7 day Caribbean cruises until I learn more.

I have never been on a 7 day that was considered a party cruise...BUT....I also stay away from Spring Break and other holiday's, which I am sure are.

Not for me, you should never be genuinely ill and have that time taken off your annual leave. That’s morally wrong in every way in my book.

So you’d rather we go back to 2 weeks holiday and 10 sick days? That would suck for 95% of our staff. I’ll guarantee you our staff don’t agree with you.

Spring break maybe party cruises. We have been on a lot of 7 day Caribbean cruises and never had one that was a party cruise.

Spring break maybe party cruises. We have been on a lot of 7 day Caribbean cruises and never had one that was a party cruise.

Yes, I’m aware of the need to avoid spring break, as well as the holidays. In your experience, what are the best times for 7 day cruises?

Yes, I’m aware of the need to avoid spring break, as well as the holidays. In your experience, what are the best times for 7 day cruises?

90 percent of our cruises are in September and October...when kids are back to school. (and no holidays). Hardly any children these two months. Of course you will always have kids, no matter what. "Home Schooled" is getting more and more popular.:o

So you’d rather we go back to 2 weeks holiday and 10 sick days? That would suck for 95% of our staff. I’ll guarantee you our staff don’t agree with you.

We have 28/36 days annual leave plus public holidays. If you are off sick you are still paid your normal salary. The two are totally separate.

We have 28/36 days annual leave plus public holidays. If you are off sick you are still paid your normal salary. The two are totally separate.

I never said your system was better or worse. I said not all plans that have you use your Personal Time Off for sick days are bad. As you usually get a lot more time.

Tedw, I see your point. If I were still flying from the west coast, I too would prefer the 9 and 12 night itineraries. In fact, we did a 12 night for our first cruise (Mediterranean) because I refuse to cross the pond for less than two weeks and we prefer to fly to distant ports two days early. Should I hear that the 9 and 12 night Caribbean Cruises aren’t “booze cruises” I’ll give them a look. Mind you, we’re not teetotalers, but we’re not at all interested in being around a bunch of drunken party animals. Only a bit tipsy, happy party animals are great though:D. I hope you and your friends have a great cruise!

Silkroad - I can confirm that my 12-day Silhouette itinerary (see below for details) was not a booze cruise by any stretch of the imagination. My partner and I are well below the median age of passenger on the ship, but that is attractive to us as we select itineraries to avoid a party environment by cruising during the school calendar. The itinerary embarked on the Sunday following Thanksgiving, which works well for us already being in/near Atlanta for the holidays. The weather was perfect as well.

I'd recommend the 3 weeks after Thanksgiving prior to Christmas. Then any of the 7 day weeks through January and into/through the end of February. We skip March all together, but have sailed late March/early April.

Silkroad - I can confirm that my 12-day Silhouette itinerary (see below for details) was not a booze cruise by any stretch of the imagination. My partner and I are well below the median age of passenger on the ship, but that is attractive to us as we select itineraries to avoid a party environment by cruising during the school calendar. The itinerary embarked on the Sunday following Thanksgiving, which works well for us already being in/near Atlanta for the holidays. The weather was perfect as well.

Thanks! Our first Caribbean cruise will be one of the last 14 day Southern Caribbean itineraries on Reflection in early December, so we’re hoping for an experience similar to yours. I don’t have qualms about the 10 to 12 day cruises, but have been unsure about the 7 day itineraries.

I'd recommend the 3 weeks after Thanksgiving prior to Christmas. Then any of the 7 day weeks through January and into/through the end of February. We skip March all together, but have sailed late March/early April.

Thanks vulcan1971 (love your screen name btw:)). We’ll check out the itineraries during those times.

Because you are looking at two different systems, it can get confusing.

Historically many US companies had three different types of paid time off. Paid vacation days (usually based on seniority/years at the company ), Holiday pay (as many as 10 days a year), and Paid Sick time (Varied amount of days at our company it was 10 days). Over the years people would be “forced to say they were sick” to use this benefit. The idea is that it is paid days when you are sick, but many people felt they were owed the days even if they were not sick. Companies also offer short term disability and long term disabilities for extended sick time.

In order to benefit the employees, companies started to use the term Personal Time Off. It is a combination of Vacation days, non traditional Holidays (like floating holidays), and paid Sick days. Under this system they all became the same to be used as the employee wishes. (No need to say you are sick when you just want extra paid off time).

The system is not the same at all companies or at all category of employees.

Therefore it many seem immoral without a full understanding, but this type of system is generally preferred by the employees.

I would agree that European companies in many countries generally have more time off.

Hopefully this increases your understanding.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been an annual booker of the best 14 day Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Eclipse for the pat several years. I am booked in Nov, 2017, and March, 2018. Unfortunately when I booked March, 2018 while on board the Eclipse last year I forgot to check the date of Easter. Eager to reschedule I started looking at 2019.

Much to my shock and dismay, not only has the Eclipse been reassigned, but the best and only true 14 day Caribbean itinerary has been eliminated. Of the cruise lines I regularly book, Princess, HAL, and RCCL Celebrity had the only true 14 day that wasn't essentially a B2B.

This itinerary has been very popular. I can't understand why they have eliminated it . At the least I would have thought the itinerary would have been assigned to another ship.

Bring back the true 14 day Southern Caribbean itinerary, please!

I just read on another post that a hotel director on Eclipse commented that once the new Edge class ships are in operation, we might start seeing longer itineraries again (I assume on S Class ships, but who knows right?) - - I certainly hope so!

I just read on another post that a hotel director on Eclipse commented that once the new Edge class ships are in operation, we might start seeing longer itineraries again (I assume on S Class ships, but who knows right?) - - I certainly hope so!

For sure, We love the longer cruises and can understand Celebrity wanting to maximize profit of ships, so hoping there will be enough interest/demand to justify longer itineraries in Caribbean.

We have just been in the Eclipse 14 nights 03/18/18, and I can tell you that they had to put the booths in the auction to fill the boat, 2 months before departure 25% of the cabins were still available. On the other hand, for the Silhouette cruises 9 and 12 nights of 03/15/19 and 03/24/19 they are selling quite fast so that the prices are going up. All the opposite in both cruises on the same dates.

We have just been in the Eclipse 14 nights 03/18/18, and I can tell you that they had to put the booths in the auction to fill the boat, 2 months before departure 25% of the cabins were still available. On the other hand, for the Silhouette cruises 9 and 12 nights of 03/15/19 and 03/24/19 they are selling quite fast so that the prices are going up. All the opposite in both cruises on the same dates.

What does "booths in the auction" mean?

What does "booths in the auction" mean?

Sorry I used google for translation , "cheap prices too low", many from our roll call get the free upgrades.

2 Weeks prior sailing Concierge 1 was cheaper than what I paid for a Veranda 2C.

Because you are looking at two different systems, it can get confusing.

Historically many US companies had three different types of paid time off. Paid vacation days (usually based on seniority/years at the company ), Holiday pay (as many as 10 days a year), and Paid Sick time (Varied amount of days at our company it was 10 days). Over the years people would be “forced to say they were sick” to use this benefit. The idea is that it is paid days when you are sick, but many people felt they were owed the days even if they were not sick. Companies also offer short term disability and long term disabilities for extended sick time.

In order to benefit the employees, companies started to use the term Personal Time Off. It is a combination of Vacation days, non traditional Holidays (like floating holidays), and paid Sick days. Under this system they all became the same to be used as the employee wishes. (No need to say you are sick when you just want extra paid off time).

The system is not the same at all companies or at all category of employees.

Therefore it many seem immoral without a full understanding, but this type of system is generally preferred by the employees.

I would agree that European companies in many countries generally have more time off.

Hopefully this increases your understanding.

A well-written explanation. It is not as bad as it originally sounds. That said, few could argue that almost without exception people in European countries or some other countries like Canada get significantly more time off than we do in the good ole USA. A disturbing trend that I also think is more prevalent in the US than in other countries is the expectation for people to be 'connected' even when they are on vacation, as well as considerable pressure to not take all your vacation days. It is also one of the reasons that as people age into the system and get more time off, they are more vulnerable to being the first to get laid off for this and perhaps other reasons ( And age discrimination laws are virtually useless as companies are in the clear as long as they keep enough people in the 'younger old' group - the 40-50 year olds). Anyway........I fear we are veering far off the topic of 14 day cruises

I noticed that our 12 night 2/20/19 Silhouette cruise have very few balcony rooms left and they are listed at over $1,000 more than we paid per person when we reserved last November.

• 7 months later...

For those 14 night itinerary lovers that have not heard: earlier this month Celebrity quietly added a 14 night S Caribbean trip to Silhouette's schedule.  She sails out of Ft Lauderdale on Jan 31 2020 and visits St Croix, Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, Bonaire, Aruba, and Curacao.   There are 6 sea days as well which is one more than the classic 14 night itinerary.

The change was a direct result of moving her Revolution makeover dry dock finish date back a week which resulted in the cancellation of two sailings and the addition of this 14 night cruise.  This also means that this sailing will be her first post-Revolution cruise which is great if they finish it on time, but bad if they don't.  

Jan 31 2020 Silhouette Itinerary.JPG

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

For those 14 night itinerary lovers that have not heard: earlier this month Celebrity quietly added a 14 night S Caribbean trip to Silhouette's schedule.  She sails out of Ft Lauderdale on Jan 31 2020 and visits St Croix, Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, Bonaire, Aruba, and Curacao.   There are 6 sea days as well which is one more than the classic 14 night itinerary.

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Thanks for the heads up.  We love the 14 night itinerary.  We are on Reflection in just over a week for an extended stay.

• Haha 1