Princess' Removal of Cabin Steward Name Plates from Cabins

Mackenzie1

On a recent cruise on the Royal Princess, I was disappointed to learn that Princess has decided to remove the cabin steward name plates from all of the cabins. It seems that while no longer maintaining the name plates may save Princess a few dollars, what is lost is not worth the downside, including the loss of the pride of ownership that the cabin stewards have for their work. On every previous Princess cruise, the first thing the cabin steward would do when introducing themselves was to point to their name plates. With no name plate, it seemed like our interactions with our cabin steward became more distant, and since we never knew his last name, we could not leave a commendation for him. If cost is the issue, Princess could at least print the cabin steward names on paper or cardboard, but their names should be kept in the cabin in some form. With no name plate, the cruise just seemed less personal. Has anyone else noticed the change, and if so, what do you think?

We have had 70 days on the Royal, and never knew that there were name plates, so I guess it made no difference to us.

You could always ask for their last name, if you wanted.

Making the cruise "less personal", seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Although I've seen them on other Princess ships, I don't recall noticing them on the Royal in 140+ cruise days. As for leaving a commendation, all you need to do is reference your cabin number.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

The first name of our cabin steward was on a card on the desk in our cabin on the Crown this past Feb and Mar. I never remember knowing the last name of a cabin steward.

If you wish to provide some feedback at the end of the cruise the cabin number is all that is required. If you remember the first name that is also nice. The Hotel Manager and supervisors know who is assigned to each cabin. Last names are not needed to leave a commendation.

If these cards are truly eliminated I can't believe it has anything to do with cost. There may be some other purpose.

Each staff member has a name tag on the shirt. You don't require a name card to know the steward's name.

I don't think this is such a big issue that you seem to think it is.

The name plate was there on Crown a couple of weeks ago and our steward had already introduced himself by name anyway and was wearing a name badge. Of course you could have left a commendation for him. You knew his first name and your own cabin number, what more did you need? The less paper junk there is in the cabin the better, as far as I'm concerned.

On Royal and Regal, we found the card filled in as always with steward's first name, but the card was tucked inside the big binder/folder - the one with the postcards and ship information in it.

If you didn't open that perhaps you missed it.

On every previous Princess cruise, the first thing the cabin steward would do when introducing themselves was to point to their name plates.

I've never experienced this. We stay in Mini-Suites so our first interaction with our steward is usually when he brings us our complimentary glasses of Sparkling Petrol. We greet him at our door, invite him in with the glasses, introduce ourselves and have a conversation with him. While the card with the name may be on the desk, it is never used as a prop during the conversation. And since they all wear name tags, the card seems a bit redundant.

On a recent cruise on the Royal Princess, I was disappointed to learn that Princess has decided to remove the cabin steward name plates from all of the cabins. It seems that while no longer maintaining the name plates may save Princess a few dollars,

Princess lore...........

Never realized there were name plates. I have no need for one, they always give you a name when you meet them. Pride of ownership? I have almost alwAys had absolutely wonderful service. Other then that, I am on vacation, they are there to do a job, I don't need to know their name.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the Caribbean Princess last week and the nameplate was still there.

Sent from my iPad using Forumsd3a0f8801b9380528bd83de29c35819d.jpg

Thanks for your reply, Colleyville. What a coincidence--I was also cruised the Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Jubilee in 1988.

I've never experienced this. We stay in Mini-Suites so our first interaction with our steward is usually when he brings us our complimentary glasses of Sparkling Petrol. We greet him at our door, invite him in with the glasses, introduce ourselves and have a conversation with him. While the card with the name may be on the desk, it is never used as a prop during the conversation. And since they all wear name tags, the card seems a bit redundant.

Sparkling Petrol is right! You're hilarious, Jimmy.

Did not miss the name plate. On the Regal, we noticed a card with the steward's name and extension in a book. The name plate took up space on the desk that we easily clutter ourselves.

Name plates?? It is just a small sign or placecard

They were in our cabin last month.

Why would they remove them?

Jimmy, the sign has their phone number to call if you need them during their off hours.

When we were on the Carnival Vista in January there was no indication of who our cabin steward was, and nobody ever introduced themselves to us. Instead there always seemed to be several cabin stewards in the hallway and it appeared whoever was available cleaned our cabin the minute we stepped out. I didn't ask any questions and was happy they were so efficient. I wonder if Princess is going to move in this direction?