Some questions abot my 1st Princess cruise

2011mom

My family and I are booked on a Norwegian Fjord cruise this July on the Crown Princess. I've cruised on Carnival before, but never on Princess. I've been reading this forum, though, so I think I've learned a lot - but I still have a couple of questions!

1. When I booked there was a promotion for a complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant, and in my cruise personalizer under Onboard Reservations, it shows SPECIALTY RESTAURANT COVER CHARGE compliments of my TA, a separate line for each of the 4 in our stateroom. Can I make a reservation and use this for the cover charge? How does that work? I really would like the specialty restaurant to be on a specific day, because it's the one day when we leave port after our dining time, so I hope I can reserve it!

2. If I get to choose, which is better - Crown Grill or Sabatini's?

3. I've been reading some info about embarkation lunch. I'd much rather have a sit down lunch than the buffet, so this would be great! My deck is supposed to be the first to board, at 12:30pm. Should I get there earlier? I have no priority - what time will I be able to get on the ship, and what time is the embarkation lunch open until? Will I be able to make it? Will I be able to find the right dining room?

4. One port, Geiranger, is a tender port. I've booked a car and driver while I'm there. We are only in port from noon - 6pm. How big are the tenders? What time will I be able to be off the ship?

Whew! That's all the questions that have been bugging me for now! Thanks in advance for any help!

You should be able to make a reservation for the specialty restaurant when you want. Call the Dine Line as soon as you get on board.

Both restaurants are good. Look at the menu and see which you prefer.

Check the Patters to see which dining room is open for lunch, There usually is one open for a sit down lunch with a very limited menu, (Sometimes it is closed).

Can't help you with tenders question.

Yes, you can use OBC for gratuities.

Have fun!

Check the Patters to see which dining room is open for lunch, There usually is one open for a sit down lunch with a very limited menu, (Sometimes it is closed).

The dining room is only open from noon until 1:30 PM.

The boarding time for your deck is only a suggestion. Check in around 11 AM. Boarding usually starts by noon. You should be on the ship before 12:30 PM.

I called princess about this a couple weeks ago as we have a free specialty dining as well on the royal this November.

I was told that.

1. We can't make a reservation in advance with this promotional item.

2. And this surprised me the most; that when we get to our room they will have the certificate there with the day, time and restaurant of our free dinner. He said they will try to work with passengers to accommodate changes, but no promises. He told me the longer your cruise the better the chance of changing day, time or venue. I said we are on a 20 day and hope they can work with us giving that length of cruise.

Sounds like they maybe got in over their head. Has princess had this promotion before?

Maybe someone else asking wil get a different answer.

If you figure 3000 passengers and if 1000 got in on the promotion on a 7 day cruise, then its 72 extra people they need to find room for each night in each restaurant. I'm suture people who are paying for their reservation in advance take priority, so I think some of us may be getting scheduled for 5:30 or 10pm on a night or venue we really don't want.

I wonder if they can't find a good time for us if they would just give us obc in the same amount? I would be happy with that.

If anyone hears different from princess than I did, or experiences different please let us know.

I called princess about this a couple weeks ago as we have a free specialty dining as well on the royal this November.

I was told that.

1. We can't make a reservation in advance with this promotional item.

2. And this surprised me the most; that when we get to our room they will have the certificate there with the day, time and restaurant of our free dinner. He said they will try to work with passengers to accommodate changes, but no promises. He told me the longer your cruise the better the chance of changing day, time or venue. I said we are on a 20 day and hope they can work with us giving that length of cruise.

Sounds like they maybe got in over their head. Has princess had this promotion before?

Maybe someone else asking wil get a different answer.

If you figure 3000 passengers and if 1000 got in on the promotion on a 7 day cruise, then its 72 extra people they need to find room for each night in each restaurant. I'm suture people who are paying for their reservation in advance take priority, so I think some of us may be getting scheduled for 5:30 or 10pm on a night or venue we really don't want.

I wonder if they can't find a good time for us if they would just give us obc in the same amount? I would be happy with that.

If anyone hears different from princess than I did, or experiences different please let us know.

You can't make a reservation in advance of your cruise with the certificate but you can certainly make a reservation "in advance" as soon as you board. As for the certificate stating the venue, time, and date you can also change that when you board. Call the DINE line immediately from your cabin as soon as you board and change the venue and time to what YOU want. Been there. Done that - as have countless passengers before you.

If you are hoping for a sit down lunch in MDR on embarkation day then arrive early and start the check in process. You will "probably" be onboard in time for lunch. As suggested, go straight to your cabin, drop your bags, and check the Patter (probably the back page) to see what dining room is open. If you ask crew they will try their best to direct you to the buffet.

Always remember that when you call Princess you are often speaking with someone who has never even been on one of their ships let alone actually cruised anywhere.

Try to relax. Take a deep breath. All will be well. Enjoy your cruise.

You can't make a reservation in advance of your cruise with the certificate but you can certainly make a reservation "in advance" as soon as you board. As for the certificate stating the venue, time, and date you can also change that when you board. Call the DINE line immediately from your cabin as soon as you board and change the venue and time to what YOU want. Been there. Done that - as have countless passengers before you.

If you are hoping for a sit down lunch in MDR on embarkation day then arrive early and start the check in process. You will "probably" be onboard in time for lunch. As suggested, go straight to your cabin, drop your bags, and check the Patter (probably the back page) to see what dining room is open. If you ask crew they will try their best to direct you to the buffet.

Always remember that when you call Princess you are often speaking with someone who has never even been on one of their ships let alone actually cruised anywhere.

Try to relax. Take a deep breath. All will be well. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks,

I know it'll be great, I wouldn't let one free dining that doesn't fit our day or time ruin it:)

I was surprised he said something like that. If they fit us in on a day or time of our choosing over the course of 20 days, I'll just go and demand obc in its place... which I would rather have anyway;)

It has been a few years since we had a free dining promotion included. At the time, we were 'led' to believe that there would be a specific restaurant and time on the certificate in our cabin when we got there. Certificate was there, but it stated we could make our own reservations. YMMV. We took the certificate and walked to the restaurant we wanted where we made the reservation....or try the Dine Line--which I haven't had good results with, but it sounds like others have. Just be sure to do it on the day you board and chances are good that you will get the day you desire.

Have a great cruise! :D

My family and I are booked on a Norwegian Fjord cruise this July on the Crown Princess. I've cruised on Carnival before, but never on Princess. I've been reading this forum, though, so I think I've learned a lot - but I still have a couple of questions!

1. When I booked there was a promotion for a complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant, and in my cruise personalizer under Onboard Reservations, it shows SPECIALTY RESTAURANT COVER CHARGE compliments of my TA, a separate line for each of the 4 in our stateroom. Can I make a reservation and use this for the cover charge? How does that work? I really would like the specialty restaurant to be on a specific day, because it's the one day when we leave port after our dining time, so I hope I can reserve it!

3. I've been reading some info about embarkation lunch. I'd much rather have a sit down lunch than the buffet, so this would be great! My deck is supposed to be the first to board, at 12:30pm. Should I get there earlier? I have no priority - what time will I be able to get on the ship, and what time is the embarkation lunch open until? Will I be able to make it? Will I be able to find the right dining room?

4. One port, Geiranger, is a tender port. I've booked a car and driver while I'm there. We are only in port from noon - 6pm. How big are the tenders? What time will I be able to be off the ship?

Whew! That's all the questions that have been bugging me for now! Thanks in advance for any help!

Specialty Restaurant- there should be a card in your cabin regarding this complementary dining. It may have the restaurant and time already selected. Just call the dine line once on board to ask for whatever time and restaurant you want. If you like steak & chops then the Crown Grill, if Italian then Sabatini's.

Boarding/lunch - arrive at the pier around 10:30/11:00am. After check in you will be shown to a waiting area and grouped by time of arrival, not by deck. Boarding begins with priority boarders around noon, maybe a little earlier. Once boarding begins it goes quickly. You should be on board by 12:30. Go directly to you cabin it will be ready. In the cabin there will be a Princess Patter showing the activities for the day. On the back page are the dining times showing which DR is open for lunch. The open times are noon to 1:30 and the DR is normally deck 6 mid ship.

Tender Port - Your entire group will have to be the first in line to get a tender ticket. It is one tender ticket/person. One person is not permitted to get tickets for an entire group. Those booking Princess tours will be on the first tenders. Tenders hold around 150/175 passengers. It is probably a short ride to the dock, but it takes some time to load each tender.

There is a floating pier in Geiranger which you might be able to use, as you are the only ship scheduled that day. EM

When the floating pier was built, the port asked for contributions from the cruise lines. Carnival refused so any Carnival ship is unable to use the floating pier. Unless this has changed recently.

Brian

I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you may be getting 2 free specialty dinners ---- one from Princess and one from your TA. If there is a card in your cabin with a preselected dining time, just take it to the restaurant of your choice and see what they can do about a change. The earlier you do this on embarkation day, the more likely you are to get your choice. There should be someone at the podium outside each restaurant on the 1st afternoon. No one can reserve in advance. For what it's worth, we did get a card with a time scheduled and were easily able to move it, although we kept the same evening.

I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you may be getting 2 free specialty dinners ---- one from Princess and one from your TA. If there is a card in your cabin with a preselected dining time, just take it to the restaurant of your choice and see what they can do about a change. The earlier you do this on embarkation day, the more likely you are to get your choice. There should be someone at the podium outside each restaurant on the 1st afternoon. No one can reserve in advance. For what it's worth, we did get a card with a time scheduled and were easily able to move it, although we kept the same evening.

Many people may reserve it before boarding. You can book specialty dining in advance in your cruise personalizer, but you must pay for it in advance. You can't prebook if you are getting it complimentary,

I really can only answer ques.2. For us, we preferred the Crown Grill. If you are expecting Ruth Chris quality steak, you'll not find it on Princess. Quality is about even with Outback/Texas Road house etc. Seafood, however was excellent. Steak in Sabatini's is about the same as Crown Grill. We did like the ambience more in Crown Grill, however. We did a 14 day B2B in 2016 on the Regal. Not sure how nice the Crown is compared to the Regal. I presume the Regal is a lot bigger. Either way you should have a cruise that's a higher level of quality compared to Carnival. I generally read that food is at a better level on European cruises versus the Caribbean.

I've cruised with Princess 8 times and didn't realize the dining rooms were open for lunch. We've always just gone to the buffet. You will have a mandatory "muster drill" at around 3:30 which has to be attended by ALL passengers before the ship can sail. I just got off the Pacific Princess on Monday. As to size of the tender I think the smallest one I've seen was 150 or so. You should be able to be off the ship within a half hour or so of dropping anchor. They have to get clearance from the port, setup a secure area around where the tenders go, and get the tender docking platform at the ship in place. They've done this a time or two and it doesn't take long. Hope you enjoy your cruise and return to Princess many times.

We disembarked Crown on Saturday 27.05.17.

We passed the Crown Grill many times on deck 7 and rarely saw people dining there, so I shouldn't worry about your reservation. We decided that Brits object to paying extra for food ( 95% of passengers were British)

BTW We were new to Princess.

On 13.05.17 we left our hotel at noon, parked our car, found a porter and went to the embarkation desk. We were given security number 20 and as we sat down they were calling 16, so maybe waited 20 minutes. We were in our cabin at 1.15pm. Our suggested boarding time was 2pm. At no time were we challenged about being there too early.

If you want to read about our experiences, I have written a review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2503410