Pulling in vs Backing into the dock

Revdoll

I enjoying watching web streams of different cruise ports, one of the things I notice is some ships back into the dock while others pull straight into the dock. Does anyone knows what determines whether a ship pulls in or backs into the dock?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I enjoying watching web streams of different cruise ports, one of the things I notice is some ships back into the dock while others pull straight into the dock. Does anyone knows what determines whether a ship pulls in or backs into the dock?

One consideration is other ship movements - actual or anticipated. The first ship into a port might be able to take the time to turn and back in to save maneuvering on departure - when there might be a couple of ships pulling out at the same time.

I also understand that the Harbormaster has some input, or really perhaps just influence, over that. I could imagine that the Harbormaster would want to orient the first ships into the port in such a manner to facilitate the departure, making it more likely that the harbor would be cleared faster at the end of the day.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I remember watching Voyager of The Seas, the first time she pulled into Galveston! It took 45 minutes to get her in and turned around! We made a party out of watching it on the web cam! So fun!

Not my story, but I read one time of someone that wanted to know which side of the ship she should get her cabin on for a particular port, and someone that lived there said the ship always faced a particular way. Then the sailing that person was on, the ship docked opposite of the way it normally did. So I think it can vary for any reason at all, or even for no reason at all.

I am always fascinated by how easily these ships can turn. The most enjoyable part of cruising for me is to stand on the deck and watch as the ship turns. It's very relaxing.

Sometimes they want to do maintenance on one side, and they need that side facing the dock. Other times it may be crew lifeboat drills, so they need certain lifeboats away from the dock. the next week it might be the lifeboats on the other side. EM

Which is why when someone says they are booking a cruise and sailing on the port side of a ship in order to see the port, all they are really doing is booking a cabin on the left side of a ship (when facing forward).

I also understand that the Harbormaster has some input, or really perhaps just influence, over that. I could imagine that the Harbormaster would want to orient the first ships into the port in such a manner to facilitate the departure, making it more likely that the harbor would be cleared faster at the end of the day.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Other than perhaps directing pier assignment, I doubt the harbormaster has any influence on this. We have been told by the Captain that docking direction is strictly up to to him. That determination would typically be influenced by which side of the ship would be preferred for disembarking and embarking passengers (on RCI Oasis class ships, for instance, that is typically the starboard side), or preferred port departure direction, etc.

Very often, as CB referenced, it can be to facilitate a required lifeboat drill that may be necessary on a given side of the ship, which in that case would always be on the water side of the pier. We have witnessed this a number of times. We have been to numerous ports - Bermuda as example - where the ship direction with respect to the pier has been different on different cruises on the same ship to that same port of call.

Other than perhaps directing pier assignment, I doubt the harbormaster has any influence on this
I recently watched a documentary within which the Harbormaster made such a request, and the captain made clear that he would consider being influenced by asking for a reason.

Generally, most Captains prefer having their ship docked with the bow pointed in the direction of the open sea. If there is any water movement affecting the ship from the ocean while she is docked, the bow will handle that water motion better than if the water was hitting against a broad stern. I think that helps to reduce the strain placed upon the lines holding the ship to the bollards.

Many factors are taken into consideration with "how" a ship docks at the time of docking...final decision is made by the Harbor Master and the Captain certainly has some input in this but the HM will be the final word on this.

Most folk are right-handed, so the steering-board (which is very heavy to operate) is always on the right-hand side of the ship - that's why it's called the "starboard" side.

Ships always berth with the left (port) side alongside the pier, so that the steering-board doesn't get trapped between ship and pier - which is why that side is called the "port" side.

http://www.visualdictionaryonline.com/transport-machinery/maritime-transport/ancient-ships/trireme.php

JB :)

ps. That's how the names port and starboard originated, but I believe there have been inventions like rudders and azipods which have transformed steering, so this information might be out-of-date by the small matter of 2,000 years. ;)

So you can be sure that your port -side cabin faces the pier if you book on a cruise ship that's about 2,000 years old.

Try Carnival ;p

I recently watched a documentary within which the Harbormaster made such a request, and the captain made clear that he would consider being influenced by asking for a reason.

I guess it would then depend on the reason.

Most folk are right-handed, so the steering-board (which is very heavy to operate) is always on the right-hand side of the ship - that's why it's called the "starboard" side.

Ships always berth with the left (port) side alongside the pier, so that the steering-board doesn't get trapped between ship and pier - which is why that side is called the "port" side.

http://www.visualdictionaryonline.com/transport-machinery/maritime-transport/ancient-ships/trireme.php

JB :)

ps. That's how the names port and starboard originated, but I believe there have been inventions like rudders and azipods which have transformed steering, so this information might be out-of-date by the small matter of 2,000 years. ;)

So you can be sure that your port -side cabin faces the pier if you book on a cruise ship that's about 2,000 years old.

Try Carnival ;p

Carrying this completely off topic, I've learned that originally the two sides of the ship were "starboard" and "larboard". "Starboard" was a corruption of "steerboard" as you say, but "larboard" referred to the "lee board" which was the precursor to the centerboard or deep keel. Mariners didn't want to risk weakening the keel by piercing it to have a centerboard travel up and down, yet they needed something to stop a sail driven vessel from moving sideways with the wind, so they hung the "lee board" on the "lee" side of the ship to act as a keel. The lee board was always removed when entering port, as the speed of the ship was greatly reduced, and the sail frequently furled. Confusion when shouting "starboard" and "larboard" led to the introduction of "port".

Carrying this completely off topic, I've learned that originally the two sides of the ship were "starboard" and "larboard". "Starboard" was a corruption of "steerboard" as you say, but "larboard" referred to the "lee board" which was the precursor to the centerboard or deep keel. Mariners didn't want to risk weakening the keel by piercing it to have a centerboard travel up and down, yet they needed something to stop a sail driven vessel from moving sideways with the wind, so they hung the "lee board" on the "lee" side of the ship to act as a keel. The lee board was always removed when entering port, as the speed of the ship was greatly reduced, and the sail frequently furled. Confusion when shouting "starboard" and "larboard" led to the introduction of "port".

Most boats with leeboards had two, one on each side. Or they would have a single detachable board that could be moved to either side as needed. Depending on which direction to the wind the boat was positioned, the leeboard on the down wind side - the leeward side - would be dropped since it would be deepest in the water for best utilization. The leeboard on the up wind side - the windward side - would be ineffective since it would be partially out of the water due to the boat heeling from the force of the wind against the sails. They would always use the leeboard that dug into the water the most. As the boat tacked to catch the wind on the other side of the boat - necessary if the boat is trying to move toward through the wind by utilizing a zig-zag course - they would drop the other leeboard and raise the one that has now become partially raised out of the water.

We know from talking to a cruise ship Captain that there are many reasons that can impact how a ship docks. Some have been mentioned, but one that almost sounds silly is if the Captain and Chief Engineer want to do some maintenance on one side of the ship (such as painting). We know of one case where the determination was made because the Captain wanted to lower a particular lifeboat....to check some recently made modifications to the boat davit system. And weather can play a huge factor when a ship must do a 180 in a tight turning basin. The winds might be more favorable in the morning (when docking) then the foretasted winds in the afternoon. Bottom line is this is one reason the harbor master, pilots, and Captains all earn a decent salary and need to have lots of experience. They have to make these decisions.

Hank

Sometimes they want to do maintenance on one side, and they need that side facing the dock. Other times it may be crew lifeboat drills, so they need certain lifeboats away from the dock. the next week it might be the lifeboats on the other side. EM

I agree with all those, I have also been told that loading provisions may impact, ie if everything being loaded is to be stored on the Port side, all else being equal they will try to rock Port side to speed things up.

I guess at the end of the day, all those factors, together with others mentioned, tides, currents other harbour traffic, would all go into the mix to make a decision.

Ya all wrong! :D

Captains spend all their off time scouring Cruise Critic looking for folks asking about the best side of the ship to be on while in port.

When they find out the pax is booked on their ship they purposely point it the other way ;p

Okay I've been found out, she's giving me my meds now :cool:

Captains spend all their off time scouring Cruise Critic looking for folks asking about the best side of the ship to be on while in port.

When they find out the pax is booked on their ship they purposely point it the other way ;p

I think you might have a point.

And I always thought it was because the passenger gave the captain a $20 bill at the start of the cruise, you know, for extra special service.

Oh, wait, that is another thread discussion. So sorry. My bad! ;p