How formal is elegant night?

It's what my husband usually wears. Carnival has really gotten away from the formal dress. I guess that is why they changed the name from formal to elegant. My husband used to wear his tux, as did many other men. Now, it is rare to see anyone that dressed up.

It has changed a great deal since we started to cruise in 2001. I sometimes wear dress pants and a golf shirt and on some trips I wear a suit. It all depends on how I feel when I pack. You are not suppose to wear shorts elegant nights but sometimes they get into the MDR and sometimes they don't, depends on the staff at the desk.

That will be fine. My hubby doesn't wear a tie or jacket most formal nights. The exception is when we decide we want some formal pics. Then, he will wear a tie & jacket or sometimes even a tux. His normal dress is a pair of slacks with a long sleeved dress shirt. Each cruise we try to pack lighter, so not taking a jacket saves space & weight in the luggage.

I'm sure this has already been addressed, but my question concerns man's attire on elegant night. Would it be acceptable with a dress shirt and tie, no jacket?

It's as formal as you wanted to be.

DH wears a nicer Hawaiian shirt, Khakis and his brown leather walking shoes. He won't get any more dresses than that. And he won't be the only one dressed like that.

DH wears a nicer Hawaiian shirt, Khakis and his brown leather walking shoes. He won't get any more dresses than that. And he won't be the only one dressed like that.

I agree New jeans and a polo shirt for me ,never a problem

My boys aren't ones to wear slacks, but the older doesn't mind dark jeans and a dress shirt/tie. When we went on the Breeze in April I didn't get the impression he'd be underdressed (it was our first - and the kids didn't go...but we're taking them next May)

• 6 months later...
It's what my husband usually wears. Carnival has really gotten away from the formal dress. I guess that is why they changed the name from formal to elegant. My husband used to wear his tux, as did many other men. Now, it is rare to see anyone that dressed up.

^^^ This.

First cruise on Miracle in 2005. Yes, most men in a tux and women had evening gowns. Very swanky.

Now, even though there is a dress code, there are quite a few that choose not to follow it and Carnival is iffy on enforcing it.

I no longer do a tux because the majority of people dress much like the OP stated: dress shirt, tie and slacks.

Carnival hasn't gotten away from the formal dress, it's the people that have. I for one still enjoy wearing a suit, white shirt and tie on elegant night, and I am one of the people (that many will chastise) that will tell the hostess of anyone wearing jeans into the MDR on elegant night to leave. Carnival needs to enforce the rules or change them.

Carnival hasn't gotten away from the formal dress, it's the people that have. I for one still enjoy wearing a suit, white shirt and tie on elegant night, and I am one of the people (that many will chastise) that will tell the hostess of anyone wearing jeans into the MDR on elegant night to leave. Carnival needs to enforce the rules or change them.

I would agree with you that they haven't gotten away from it, IF they consistently enforced the dress code but, they don't, so it appears to be more of a dress guideline than code.

Isn't going to improve. It's getting worse in my opinion. During my thanksgiving week cruise I counted atleast 6 men who walked by our table in uncollared shirts (t shirts) shorts and a few wore caps as well.