What if cabin mate has to cancel at the last minute?

karlsselindh

What happens to the remaining person if the cabin mate has to cancel shortly before the cruise? The fare for both is paid in full, and the cancelling person doesn't expect a refund, and they have insurance.

In searching previous threads, I've read that the cancelling person shouldn't bother notifying Celebrity in advance, but the remaining person should simply say upon check-in that the other person wasn't able to come. Then the remaining person has the cabin all to himself. Is that correct?

I've read that probably the no-show passenger will get a refund of taxes and port charges, pre-paid excursions, etc. Is this right? How do you go about getting the refund?

What about any OBC that the no-show passenger had? Will it be available for use by the remaining passenger?

Will the cabin be charged for gratuities for 2 persons?

Thanks for any info.....

I posed a similar question to Celebrity. They said that if the withdrawing passenger forfeits payment, the remaining passengers can sail at no further charge. But, if there is a refund the remaining passengers must pay the second fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What happens to the remaining person if the cabin mate has to cancel shortly before the cruise? The fare for both is paid in full, and the cancelling person doesn't expect a refund, and they have insurance.

In searching previous threads, I've read that the cancelling person shouldn't bother notifying Celebrity in advance, but the remaining person should simply say upon check-in that the other person wasn't able to come. Then the remaining person has the cabin all to himself. Is that correct?

I've read that probably the no-show passenger will get a refund of taxes and port charges, pre-paid excursions, etc. Is this right? How do you go about getting the refund?

What about any OBC that the no-show passenger had? Will it be available for use by the remaining passenger?

Will the cabin be charged for gratuities for 2 persons?

Thanks for any info.....

Don't have any answers for you, but I would think that many of your questions would be compounded by what I assume would have been a single booking for two passengers.

So let me add to your questions: Is it possible to "cancel" a portion of a booking when one of two passengers in a single booking cannot embark on the cruise?

I posed a similar question to Celebrity. They said that if the withdrawing passenger forfeits payment, the remaining passengers can sail at no further charge. But, if there is a refund the remaining passengers must pay the second fare.

An insurance payment would not be considered a refund, so if the 2nd passenger cancels without the cruise company providing a refund, the other passenger should not have to pay anything extra.

In searching previous threads, I've read that the cancelling person shouldn't bother notifying Celebrity in advance, but the remaining person should simply say upon check-in that the other person wasn't able to come. Since the no-show person has insurance, it would be better to cancel as soon as it is known the person cannot maker the cruise. Then the remaining person has the cabin all to himself. Is that correct?

I've read that probably the no-show passenger will get a refund of taxes and port charges, pre-paid excursions, etc. Is this right? Yes. How do you go about getting the refund? Contact your TA or if you booked directly, Celebrity.

What about any OBC that the no-show passenger had? Will it be available for use by the remaining passenger? No.

Will the cabin be charged for gratuities for 2 persons? No.

Thanks for any info.....

see red above

If you are past final payment date, and the person canceling has insurance, then the INSURANCE pays the person canceling...NOT the cruise line. They still get all their money, and the remaining person won't owe any extra. You will simply be alone.

What if the insurance is Celebrity Cruise Care and at the least it pays a credit for 75% of the fare under the cancel for any reason provision?......interesting question.

Everyone above seems to be presuming there is 3rd party insurance. In that case X has been paid for both. But what if X is the "insurer"?

We actually had this happen a few years ago when wife's aunt had to cancel at last minute, she was in a cabin with wife's mother. Insurance was involved here but has nothing to do with the cabin itself. Basically, wife's mother had the cabin to herself and there was not extra payment since Celebrity was paid for two people in the cabin Whether there is insurance or not is irrelevant to the person who is going on the cruise, you will have a single cabin at no extra cost. This all assumes you are in the no cancellation period.

The bottom line is simple: as long as Celebrity received and keeps the full payment - no problem.

They do not care if the person not showing up, an insurance company or the remaining person pays for it.

In case Celebrity is expected to refund all or a part of the person´s fare, they will consider the second person as a single traveler and ask that traveler to pay the price a single traveler would have to pay - which in most cases is the full cabin price.

The interesting question is: In some cases insurance does not cover 100 %. Will one person expect the other to cover the difference?

Celebrity certainly will not cover the difference...

So what would stop a single passenger just booking room with someone else, get insurance and have the second person not sail.

That would only work if you have cancel for any reason insurance. Otherwise you'd have to have the second person be a real passenger and have a medical issue or other covered issue they can prove to the insurer for why they can't cruise. But yes, in theory, with cancel for any reason insurance, not sure what would stop a single from doing this to get a partial refund on their cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what would stop a single passenger just booking room with someone else, get insurance and have the second person not sail.

Plus the fact that getting insurance on someone who has no plans of sailing so a single traveler can get a partial refund is insurance fraud. Don't think you would get caught unless you pulled the same thing multiple times with the same company. But if you did get caught could be in a lot of trouble.

There is one more option that worked for a friend of mine ... provided you don't really want to travel solo.

My friend booked a surprise cruise for her and her husband ... it was way past final payment when she told him and he flat out refused to go. A friend of hers took over his space on the reservation and I believe Celebrity charged $50 for this change of the one passenger on the reservation. This was a few years ago ... so not sure if that is still the charge. But if there is someone else that wants to go in your cabin mate's place, this might be another option. Not sure how the insurance would work out for your friend that canceled.

It depends on the insurance your roommate has.

I know with Holland America Line there is a HAL platinum policy that before sailing is cancel for any reason covered by the cruise line with 90-95% refunded. It does not protect the second passenger. This came up on the boards a number of years ago with a travel agent who was actively taking a group of seniors and putting singles together with cabin mates who did not know each other prior to the cruise. Well one canceled and it went unnoticed until the other senior was asked to pay the single rate (after the cruise had ended). The agent came on the boards and was furious and said he would never recommend HAL again, however he never reviewed the policy he was recommending. The real insurance (for medical reasons) did not kick in until 24 hours prior to the cruise start date.

Not sure if Celebrity's cancel for any reason works in a similar way.

I had this happen to me on Royal Caribbean, which should work the same way. My husband and I had booked a cruise and 24 hours before the cruise, he was not able to go. (not medical reasons) We purchased our cruise insurance thru RCL. When I checked in at the pier, I told them my husband would not be traveling with me. They credited the excursion charges, port taxes and tips back to our credit card. When I returned from the cruise, my husband filed thru the insurance for the "cancel for any reason" and was able to get 75% of the cruise cost toward a future cruise. You do not get any money back. And I did not have to pay the single rate.

I had this happen to me on Royal Caribbean, which should work the same way. My husband and I had booked a cruise and 24 hours before the cruise, he was not able to go. (not medical reasons) We purchased our cruise insurance thru RCL. When I checked in at the pier, I told them my husband would not be traveling with me. They credited the excursion charges, port taxes and tips back to our credit card. When I returned from the cruise, my husband filed thru the insurance for the "cancel for any reason" and was able to get 75% of the cruise cost toward a future cruise. You do not get any money back. And I did not have to pay the single rate.

So in theory, you could book a high end suite, have a "no show" partner and get the 75% back on the cruise fare? That sounds too good to be true???

So in theory, you could book a high end suite, have a "no show" partner and get the 75% back on the cruise fare? That sounds too good to be true???

It sounds like a mistake. This is the very reason HAL's insurance protection (cancel for no reason) will not protect the rate of the second person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because doing it on purpose without ever having the intent for your cabin mate to sail is insurance fraud...

You can also break a window at your house and file a claim that $10,000 in jewelry was stolen....

What if the insurance is Celebrity Cruise Care and at the least it pays a credit for 75% of the fare under the cancel for any reason provision?......interesting question.

Everyone above seems to be presuming there is 3rd party insurance. In that case X has been paid for both. But what if X is the "insurer"?

X isn't the insurer - they contract it out to a third party company.

You don't get the 75% back when cancelling for an uncovered reason - the no-show passenger would get a credit for 75% of the cruise fare to apply to another cruise, which would have to be booked within a year of the credit being issued.

Because doing it on purpose without ever having the intent for your cabin mate to sail is insurance fraud...

You can also break a window at your house and file a claim that $10,000 in jewelry was stolen....

I don't know if I would say it is insurance fraud...wife might or might not go on cruise...if I book it and then she doesn't go, I wouldn't call that fraud.

In your example the jewelry isn't actually stolen. In my case wife might or might not go.

I don't know if I would say it is insurance fraud...wife might or might not go on cruise...if I book it and then she doesn't go, I wouldn't call that fraud.

In your example the jewelry isn't actually stolen. In my case wife might or might not go.

You are discussing two different scenarios. If you are planning a cruise with your wife but know that there's a chance she might not be able to go, then that's what cancel for any reason insurance is for. But you started the question by asking about a single cruiser booking a room for himself and a 'no show' partner with the intent of filing an insurance claim to reduce the cruise fare for the solo cruiser. That's insurance fraud.

• 1 month later...

Did you husband no show on a cruise thesis year - I am going to have a no show and wondered is it best to say nothing or tell them when I check in that the other person can't make it I am sailing with royal Carribean

My husband realized 2 nights before we sailed that he would not be sailing with me. We sailed last November. When I checked in the day of sailing, I told RCL that he would not be sailing with me. They took his name off the manifest before the ship left the dock. We were credited back for the port taxes in a refund on our credit card. When I returned home, my husband filed a claim for the 75% refund towards another cruise and when the credit came through, we booked another cruise. We never had any intentions of him not sailing until something came up. It would have really been bad if I had had to pay the 100% price for the room without him going with me. We have cruised over 10 years and this is the first time we have filed on our insurance. Hope we don't have to do it again.

Barbara

My husband realized 2 nights before we sailed that he would not be sailing with me. We sailed last November. When I checked in the day of sailing, I told RCL that he would not be sailing with me. They took his name off the manifest before the ship left the dock. We were credited back for the port taxes in a refund on our credit card. When I returned home, my husband filed a claim for the 75% refund towards another cruise and when the credit came through, we booked another cruise. We never had any intentions of him not sailing until something came up. It would have really been bad if I had had to pay the 100% price for the room without him going with me. We have cruised over 10 years and this is the first time we have filed on our insurance. Hope we don't have to do it again.

Barbara

I've paid the fare for both of us so it's technically my money anyway I'm just worried I'm gong to be denied boarding or the will try and slap a single supplement fare on to me.