Why aren't more people active in HAL Roll Calls?

3redheads

I have always signed up in roll calls, have signed up for Meetings, for slot pulls, and have NEVER given my cabin number.

Ditto. Have never given my cabin number to anyone unless I know them personally.

Still, if someone never signs up for a roll call, why would they assume they would have to give a cabin number...?

Edited to add... at our last Meet & Greet in April of this year, both the Captain and the Hotel Director came, and we had a fabulous Q&A session that lasted ages. Just for our roll call members.... so there alone is an example of the merits of a roll call.;) (This, after the M&G co-ordinator via form letter that no officers would attend. But sending an invitation anyway is a courtesy once onboard)

Edited by Lizzie68

I'm on a roll call that I'm less than excited with the direction it has taken. Someone joined and put together a Meet and Greet, which is good. The organizers seem to be obsessed with who is attending and who is bringing a gift for an exchange. As soon as someone announces that they are booked they are welcomed with M&G attendance and gift exchange questions. (They want a 10 to 30 gift if you are exchanging.). They have asked for email address and cabin number, since I don't know them I declined that part. Final payment hasn't even happened!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At the end of the day I suspect that those who aren't keen on participating in roll calls can find a dozen or more reasons not to do so, whether or not they are actually borne out in reality.

It should simply be enough to say "I'm not really interested in participating." :cool: Horses for courses, as they say...

Most of my cruises don't even have a roll call (ship of ~350 pax, most of whom are not on CC). On cruises that do have them, I appreciate the private tour and "how to get around" discussions.

Since you do not have to join a roll call to look at it, I may occasionally lurk around and see if anything worthwhile is offered. Haven't seen one yet that was worth my time.

On the cabin number: As a woman who travels solo, I would never, ever, give out my cabin number. Like I said, people can lurk. Crime onboard happens. Giving out a cabin number on a public forum is just plain, well...

If a Front Desk agent says my room number when I check in, I will ask the agent to please assign another room to me. I was training a new agent this week (she had never worked in a hotel before). On her first check in (a solo woman), she said "we have you in room XXX" - before I could say anything. As soon as the lady left, I did tell the newbie to NEVER say a room number out loud - it's a safety and security issue. Sure enough, the lady came back a little later and talked to me about how she was unsettled that her room number was spoken. I did apologize and say the newbie was in training and that I did set her straight immediately after. I offered to change the lady's room if she wanted. Two things as a solo woman that I insist on: never say the room/cabin number and NEVER take a room on the ground floor.

A thought: has anyone ever approached Guest Services and asked them to hold the invites/reminders there and if someone came up and asked for one, would give it out? Just spitballing here - that would be a way to avoid asking for room numbers...

Since you do not have to join a roll call to look at it, I may occasionally lurk around and see if anything worthwhile is offered. Haven't seen one yet that was worth my time.

On the cabin number: As a woman who travels solo, I would never, ever, give out my cabin number. Like I said, people can lurk. Crime onboard happens. Giving out a cabin number on a public forum is just plain, well...

If a Front Desk agent says my room number when I check in, I will ask the agent to please assign another room to me. I was training a new agent this week (she had never worked in a hotel before). On her first check in (a solo woman), she said "we have you in room XXX" - before I could say anything. As soon as the lady left, I did tell the newbie to NEVER say a room number out loud - it's a safety and security issue. Sure enough, the lady came back a little later and talked to me about how she was unsettled that her room number was spoken. I did apologize and say the newbie was in training and that I did set her straight immediately after. I offered to change the lady's room if she wanted. Two things as a solo woman that I insist on: never say the room/cabin number and NEVER take a room on the ground floor.

A thought: has anyone ever approached Guest Services and asked them to hold the invites/reminders there and if someone came up and asked for one, would give it out? Just spitballing here - that would be a way to avoid asking for room numbers...

I totally understand your concerns as a solo.

the purpose of delivering the invites is to help people remember the Meet and Greet. Embarkation days are hectic and it's easy to forget about it (for some) in all the excitement.

If they are excited and thrown off with the cruise beginning, I don't know if they would think to go to the Front office. Those of us that do these up take time to prepare them and we want them in the recipients' hands.

If someone wanted me to leave their invite at the Front Desk, I would happily do it (particularly in your circumstance). The giving of cabin numbers is voluntary . I totally understand if someone prefers not to do it. Not sure how happy the front desk would be with a number of them left there ;)

Most on roll calls don't mind. But, again, they are emailed and held in confidence. They are not posted on the roll call. At least not on mine nor on my spread sheets. I don't think an internet board is a place to do that. JMVHO.

Everything on a roll call is voluntary - you join up with what interests you and there is no problem if nothing is. Those that participate are interested and have fun, :). some do private tours - some don't. Some do cabin crawls or slot pulls, wine tastings, etc. And some don't. It's all good either way. The goal is to have a good cruise and as long as everyone does - that's the main thing :)

Putting out personal information - home town, real name, certainly cabin number strikes me as foolish - and probably especially so for a woman traveling solo. Any group of a thousand or so people is likely to include some people with questionable values/motivations.

Roll calls do give a sense of what the passenger mix might be, and in some instances facilitate combining on a tour - but I cannot see particular value in a meet and greet for its own sake - and a slot pull really strikes me as a more efficient way to lose money: it being pretty much axiomatic that the more you play, the more you will certainly lose.

I just sailed on HAL for the first time and was surpised with the low number of people participating on the roll call. I have to believe some of the reason is that HAL doesn't seem to promote or sponsor the roll call and Meet and Mingles.

I'm used to having 100 folks on a roll call and no one has to give out cabin numbers. Some folks will give their first names and their city or general location.

The roll calls can be very beneficial when folks participate.

Enjoy cruising!

Patti

I just sailed on HAL for the first time and was surpised with the low number of people participating on the roll call. I have to believe some of the reason is that HAL doesn't seem to promote or sponsor the roll call and Meet and Mingles.

I'm used to having 100 folks on a roll call and no one has to give out cabin numbers. Some folks will give their first names and their city or general location.

The roll calls can be very beneficial when folks participate.

Enjoy cruising!

Patti

That is very possible. Celebrity not only sponsors but has a place for people to sign up for the Cruise Critic Connections. They themselves put invitations in each person's cabin that signed up for it. They also provide the refreshments and at least one officer is usually there, sometimes more. Plus , many of the Celebrity roll calls have an additional Meet & Greet following Muster at the back bar of the ship. All of it is optional. If people want to participate they can. If not, they don't have to go. Some cruises we have and some we haven't. It is nice that the option is there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

That is very possible. Celebrity not only sponsors but has a place for people to sign up for the Cruise Critic Connections. They themselves put invitations in each person's cabin that signed up for it. They also provide the refreshments and at least one officer is usually there, sometimes more. Plus , many of the Celebrity roll calls have an additional Meet & Greet following Muster at the back bar of the ship. All of it is optional. If people want to participate they can. If not, they don't have to go. Some cruises we have and some we haven't. It is nice that the option is there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Doesn't HAL do that? We haven't sailed them since 2005. I also wonder if there is an overall decline due to FB.

Doesn't HAL do that? We haven't sailed them since 2005. I also wonder if there is an overall decline due to FB.

No HAL does not do that.

Meet and Greets only happen on HAL for a roll call if they are requested.

They do provide the space, water, cookies, tea & coffee but it is up to someone on the roll call to request it, get it set up and if you want invites delivered traditionally it is done by the organizer or others on the roll call.

HAL does have an FB get together on embarkation day (I believe). I've never gone to that - prefer the Meet and Greets where I can meet roll call members I have been "talking to" while planning the cruise. ;)

We had been cruising on HAL for a few years before I started visiting CC. By the by, I joined a couple of HAL Roll Calls and, quite by happenstance, ran into a couple of regular, high-volume CC Posters at the embarkation luncheon aboard the Westerdam IIRC. They took the opportunity to grill my spouse and me on all aspects of our lives (including our cruising experience, which exceeded theirs by a considerable margin) and to regale us about how well off they were financially (which I discerned was because the man had married well in his first marriage and the woman had done likewise in her second marriage). They went on to advise how we should act around certain of the "more senior" CC Roll Call Members if we wanted to be included in the many RC events, most of which involved drinking. After putting up with their prattle for about 15 minutes, my spouse and I excused ourselves and left. As we were departing the Dinning Room, I turned to my spouse and said, "Not my idea of a group I want to be part of!"

So, being active in a RC (with or without a Meet & Greet) is not an option for us. What we experienced on the ship mirrored a lot of the same self-aggrandizement, bagging and bullying I see on CC virtually every day. We do not go on cruises to find friends, much less to socialize with people with whom we would not choose to socialize at home.

But to each her/his own ...

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

All of our Carnival Roll Calls have been quite active and we have made some very good friends through them.

We are sailing on HAL for the first time this weekend and did notice how quiet their RCs are - until just the last couple of days then we started seeing some activity but more of the auto notification types

Oh well - we are on this cruise to take in the beauty of Alaska and since we are booked Any Time Dining, aren't expecting the same level of comraderie as our past cruises, but that's OK

We had been cruising on HAL for a few years before I started visiting CC. By the by, I joined a couple of HAL Roll Calls and, quite by happenstance, ran into a couple of regular, high-volume CC Posters at the embarkation luncheon aboard the Westerdam IIRC. They took the opportunity to grill my spouse and me on all aspects of our lives (including our cruising experience, which exceeded theirs by a considerable margin) and to regale us about how well off they were financially (which I discerned was because the man had married well in his first marriage and the woman had done likewise in her second marriage). They went on to advise how we should act around certain of the "more senior" CC Roll Call Members if we wanted to be included in the many RC events, most of which involved drinking. After putting up with their prattle for about 15 minutes, my spouse and I excused ourselves and left. As we were departing the Dinning Room, I turned to my spouse and said, "Not my idea of a group I want to be part of!"

So, being active in a RC (with or without a Meet & Greet) is not an option for us. What we experienced on the ship mirrored a lot of the same self-aggrandizement, bagging and bullying I see on CC virtually every day. We do not go on cruises to find friends, much less to socialize with people with whom we would not choose to socialize at home.

Don't judge all roll calls by one bad experience. Sad that one couple turned you off roll calls and meeting the rest of ther roll call.

This is not typical roll call behaviour - at least not on the ones we have been on. No one typically discusses finances - And, if I were to encounter this, I wouldn't let the "one bad apple" keep me from enjoying and meeting the "rest of the barrel".

We have a lot of friends that we would have never met who we enjoy cruising with if it were not for roll calls and meet and greets.

I thank my lucky stars every day for meeting them.

Don't judge all roll calls by one bad experience. Sad that one couple turned you off roll calls and meeting the rest of ther roll call.

This is not typical roll call behaviour - at least not on the ones we have been on. No one typically discusses finances - And, if I were to encounter this, I wouldn't let the "one bad apple" keep me from enjoying and meeting the "rest of the barrel".

We have a lot of friends that we would have never met who we enjoy cruising with if it were not for roll calls and meet and greets.

I thank my lucky stars every day for meeting them.

Kazu, I couldn't agree with you more. Fours years ago on the Veendam we met some very nice people. We have sailed with one couple numerous times these past four years and since we live reasonably close to each other have lunch together from time to time. We are also sailing next August with two wonderful women that we met on that "Historic Coast" cruise. Meet & Greets can be wonderful chances to meet friends you haven't met yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Certainly doesn't matter to me who participates or doesn't but we have been a part of roll calls on HAL, Royal, Celebrity and Princess and have never encountered anything like this....sorry you had such a lousy experience....I suspect I would NOT have been as nice as you were...

There are some posts that just make me think "codswallop". ;p

Or perhaps a very vivid imagination is at work.

I have been on many roll calls, both HAL and Royal Caribbean, and all have been positive experiences.

Some have been more active than others. Some have involved just a casual get together of a few people once onboard. Others have seen somewhere between 60 and 100+ people at the M&G.

We have made life long friends, and cruising buddies through Meet & Greets and roll calls.

We have never once been asked personal questions. In fact, I don't think most of these friends even know what each of us did for a living before we retired. Some are still not retired. Its not relevant to our friendship, and definitely not relevant to a roll call.

It still comes back to personal choice. Either join, or don't. If it's not your kind of thing, so be it.

I have been on many roll calls, both HAL and Royal Caribbean, and all have been positive experiences.

Some have been more active than others. Some have involved just a casual get together of a few people once onboard. Others have seen somewhere between 60 and 100+ people at the M&G.

We have made life long friends, and cruising buddies through Meet & Greets and roll calls.

We have never once been asked personal questions. In fact, I don't think most of these friends even know what each of us did for a living before we retired. Some are still not retired. Its not relevant to our friendship, and definitely not relevant to a roll call.

It still comes back to personal choice. Either join, or don't. If it's not your kind of thing, so be it.

Okay, just throwing this out there. I do not have an opinion one way or the other. Could the smaller size of the ships and the perceived older age of the pax be a contributing factor?

Okay, just throwing this out there. I do not have an opinion one way or the other. Could the smaller size of the ships and the perceived older age of the pax be a contributing factor?

I'm not sure. We had around 160 on our last Westerdam cruise, around 80 the cruise before that on the same ship IIRC. And on our Prinsendam cruises we had around 100 on a very active roll call. not too shabby for a ship that carries 840 passengers max. ;)

Someone else took care of our last Rotterdam sailing but I would guess we were over 60 people. (probably closer to 89 but I don't want to swear to that). Size of the groups doesn't matter to me. What matters is the people and we have always met great ones - but we have had some pretty big roll calls and Meet and Greets. We had to move from the Crow's Nest to the Queen's Lounge on the Westerdam due to the size.

I think it is more dependent on how many people are CC members on a sailing, how unique or different the itinerary is, etc. Just a best guess though ;)

Let me see if I can understand your post: you are questioning the truthfullness of people who have had less-than-good experiences with a M&G? Because, lucky you, ALL of your M&Gs have been positive experiences perhaps? Please. I have a hard time believing all HAL roll calls and M&Gs are nothing but perfect. Lucky that you were never asked personal questions. Lucky that, you weren't looking to be sure you wouldn't encounter someone you did NOT want to be friends with or have a drink with and unfortunately, they see you and put you in an awkward position. Lucky that the only people you met on roll calls that decided to like you just on your good looks ;)

Let me see if I can understand your post: you are questioning the truthfullness of people who have had less-than-good experiences with a M&G? Because, lucky you, ALL of your M&Gs have been positive experiences perhaps? Please. I have a hard time believing all HAL roll calls and M&Gs are nothing but perfect. Lucky that you were never asked personal questions. Lucky that, you weren't looking to be sure you wouldn't encounter someone you did NOT want to be friends with or have a drink with and unfortunately, they see you and put you in an awkward position. Lucky that the only people you met on roll calls that decided to like you just on your good looks ;)

Spot on, slidergirl!!!