Dog on ship

In Sunderland Coroners court today a father was sent to prison for 21 months for the death of his 3week old baby who was mauled to death by the family Pit Bull Terrier.

I posted this in reply to the posts about a young man on a plane with his comfort????! Pit Bull dog.

So one pit bull is bad, therefore all pit bulls are bad?

While pit bulls typically don't have the instincts or personality to succeed in the Service Dog training, there is nothing that says they can't. And I've known pit bulls that are perfectly fine playing with even very small children. If I see a pit bull without a spike collar, and being walked by a person without being dragged, I know there is a well trained dog, and one that should not be considered to be vicious out of hand. Things like spike collars are substitutes for good training.

So one pit bull is bad, therefore all pit bulls are bad?

They have unpredictable natures.

The case i mentioned today, all the dead babies family and friends thought the dog was very placid and wouldn't hurt anyone.

There have been lots of incidents of pit bulls attacking people in the UK.

The case i mentioned today, all the dead babies family and friends thought the dog was very placid and wouldn't hurt anyone.

e4e2a7efc5117920298ecd2e072b6942.jpg

c16eeead83dc69902b21ee07e6e45ac3.jpg

I love dogs.

This was our family dog who has sadly passed away​.

I don't believe that the dogs have "unpredictable natures", but I do believe that people who have strong, powerful dogs should follow the concept that all pets owners should follow, and that is that the dog is not a human, should not be treated as a human, and should be trained from puppyhood that humans, all humans, are the pack leaders and must be obeyed. This is the owner's responsibility, and the owner's responsibility to train all members of the family, even small children, how to treat dogs properly and to show leadership to the dog. We have a dog, not a pit bull, but a rescue mutt, who tends towards insecurity, and who has been known to nip at unfamiliar (to the dog) people, almost invariably those people who do not follow our instructions on how to meet an unfamiliar dog: no look, no touch, no eye contact (thank you Cesar Milan).

The issue with this is that it could potentially violate the Americans With Disabilities Act for truly disabled people and their service dogs.

It would violate the law. I know there are many reasons to have them and I also agree that some people need them. However, I agree it is out of control. I recently had someone apply for renting a property we own. She had two emotional support dogs. I was more than willing to rent to someone who needed them but once I checked further it seems she was being evicted from a previous rental for having these barely dogs and they had no information about them being emotional support dogs. Also she did produce a letter that clearly stated she could have A dog. Not two. I had contacted a fair housing lawyer, but when I called her out on it, I did not hear from her again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughter has had a pit bull for many years—since her 10 year old twins were only 2, and you couldn’t find a more loyal, protective, calm dog. We dog sit for this pit bull when my daughter travels, and she is so loving and snuggly. It’s all in how a dog is raised and trained. Don’t lump all pit bulls together just because of one bad apple. These dogs are often breed and trained to be fighters, and because of their jaws, their bites can be fatal. But those fighter dogs are giving the bad rap to the good family dogs that are raised with love and compassion.

I don't believe that the dogs have "unpredictable natures", but I do believe that people who have strong, powerful dogs should follow the concept that all pets owners should follow, and that is that the dog is not a human, should not be treated as a human, and should be trained from puppyhood that humans, all humans, are the pack leaders and must be obeyed. This is the owner's responsibility, and the owner's responsibility to train all members of the family, even small children, how to treat dogs properly and to show leadership to the dog. We have a dog, not a pit bull, but a rescue mutt, who tends towards insecurity, and who has been known to nip at unfamiliar (to the dog) people, almost invariably those people who do not follow our instructions on how to meet an unfamiliar dog: no look, no touch, no eye contact (thank you Cesar Milan).

I agree that training is essential. Several years ago I met a young lady at a cat show who wanted to start breeding the cats I have. I did have a kitten I felt would be a great start for her. However, she told me she had two Rottweilers. Uh, oh. I was assured that since she was a dog trainer, her dogs were very carefully trained. They were put in lay and stay position to allow the kitten to climb all over them. Since then, she has had a number of babies and the dogs were incredibly gentle with all of them. Btw, she's in York.

We always watched the dog whisperer programme on tv.

It was a very interesting series.

My daughter has had a pit bull for many years—since her 10 year old twins were only 2, and you couldn’t find a more loyal, protective, calm dog. We dog sit for this pit bull when my daughter travels, and she is so loving and snuggly. It’s all in how a dog is raised and trained. Don’t lump all pit bulls together just because of one bad apple. These dogs are often breed and trained to be fighters, and because of their jaws, their bites can be fatal. But those fighter dogs are giving the bad rap to the good family dogs that are raised with love and compassion.

I agree if dogs are trained properly they will be like your best friend and you certainly sound like you have done everything right.

A lot of thugs in the UK have pit bulls as status dogs and encourage them to be aggressive.

Well said...

So have I, but I was referring to real Service Dogs, not fakes. Barring unexpected illness this will never happen with a fully trained Service Dog, and if such illness related accident did happen a Service Dog handler (or even a half decent pet owner for that matter) would clean it up themselves right away.
You and I agree -- a real Service (from a friend who works with a group, the actual term is "Assistance Dog") Dog would not relieve itself anywhere other than the provided area (and probably only on command or his or her owner). But, as we've been discussing, Little Fluffy is not trained to do that. And if her owner is so inconsiderate and entitled that s/he illegally flouts the rule, she or he would not have any problem with leaving Little Fluffy's mess on the floor to be cleaned up by staff.

You and I agree -- a real Service (from a friend who works with a group, the actual term is "Assistance Dog") Dog would not relieve itself anywhere other than the provided area (and probably only on command or his or her owner). But, as we've been discussing, Little Fluffy is not trained to do that. And if her owner is so inconsiderate and entitled that s/he illegally flouts the rule, she or he would not have any problem with leaving Little Fluffy's mess on the floor to be cleaned up by staff.
Exactly right. This is one of the reasons I try so hard to educate business about service dog laws and the fact that they absolutely can and should have people with poorly behaved pets removed from the location. Not only does it interfere with business but untrained dogs put my highly trained service dog at risk of being attacked, and the general public as well.

Exactly right. This is one of the reasons I try so hard to educate business about service dog laws and the fact that they absolutely can and should have people with poorly behaved pets removed from the location. Not only does it interfere with business but untrained dogs put my highly trained service dog at risk of being attacked, and the general public as well.
Bravo!!

All the businesses are afraid of being sued by Fluffys owner for discrimination. You, the business, can not even ask for paperwork. All that can be asked is "What service is your dog, ferret, monkey trained to do?" Therefore allowing a large loophole for abusers making it harder for true service animals and their owners.

These animals are pets and not true support animals with no training what so ever.:(

Somehow this fake act of service has to be brought to the surface and exploited for the scam that it is.:evilsmile:

All the businesses are afraid of being sued by Fluffys owner for discrimination. You, the business, can not even ask for paperwork. All that can be asked is "What service is your dog, ferret, monkey trained to do?" Therefore allowing a large loophole for abusers making it harder for true service animals and their owners.

These animals are pets and not true support animals with no training what so ever.:(

Somehow this fake act of service has to be brought to the surface and exploited for the scam that it is.:evilsmile:

Businesses can stop the vast majority of this by thoroughly understanding the laws, and their rights, and making sure they enforced but unfortunately very few do.

Surely all dogs are potentially dangerous. The dogs history, breed, training and owner are all factors. We had a very placid dalmation from a pup until he died. We would never leave him alone with a baby or child. If a child pulled his tale too much he may well have growled, snapped his teeth or perhaps bitten.

We were only scarred once when we picked him up from his mother. We were playing with the puppies when she returned from a walk. She ran towards us and the puppies showing her teeth. We did not realise dalmation do that when they are pleased to see you. By that stage I think she was pleased to see the back of them as they were very boisterous. We had fifteen years with our devoted and doted on dalmation. Dogs can bring great happiness.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please, please use caution when judging what might or might not be a service animal and who may need it.

My son served in Iraq and Afghanistan and has severe PTSD and yes he does have a emotional support dog that is a pit bull but has been trained to help with his anxiety attacks. Unfortunately because of individuals that have trained that breed to be mean he is unable to travel with his dog.

Yes there are those who take advantage but you never know what someone has been through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A friend's daughter who has PTSD also has a support dog which has been a life changing help to her after being injured in Iraq. Since it's with her all the time I'm glad it's a small dog, lol. Glad your son is helped by his dog....didn't know that breed was ever used in this way. Thanks to him for his service and God bless.

Thanks you. I wish and pray your comments are shared with the cruise line.

Businesses can stop the vast majority of this by thoroughly understanding the laws, and their rights, and making sure they enforced but unfortunately very few do.

Unfortunately, there is a vast difference between a business knowing its rights and enforcing those rights, versus defending those rights in today's litigious society. Fighting suits brought by pet owners, whether valid or not, and whether won or lost, can cost a business money, money that many don't have available to defend their rights, so they take the easy way out.

Unfortunately, there is a vast difference between a business knowing its rights and enforcing those rights, versus defending those rights in today's litigious society. Fighting suits brought by pet owners, whether valid or not, and whether won or lost, can cost a business money, money that many don't have available to defend their rights, so they take the easy way out.

We are from the UK and love watching Judge Judy who tells it how it is and is not afraid to put people down.

How can the worlds leading nation be cowed by

Political Correctness? and sort out the service dog/not service dog issue.

We are from the UK and love watching Judge Judy who tells it how it is and is not afraid to put people down.

How can the worlds leading nation be cowed by

Political Correctness? and sort out the service dog/not service dog issue.

Unfortunately, Judge Judy is not reality, as the parties have signed and agreement regarding the results of the "case".

It is not really political correctness that is the problem, it is our court system that allows anyone to sue anyone at any time for any reason. As I said, the businesses cannot or do not want to spend the money to defend their perfectly legal actions in a suit brought by someone in the wrong. This is the same reason our health care system is so totally out of whack, because the malpractice insurance that doctors and hospitals need to protect them against many frivolous lawsuits is so expensive. Sorry, shouldn't get too political here, but this is a problem brought about by both parties.