Dog on ship

If these morons would put their dog in a proper kennel, it would all work out.

We have a fortunate situation, that when we vacation, our Siberian Husky has a better time than we do. Probably.

Our dogs would run INTO the kennel. Never looking back.

Yes, they were happy when we picked them up, but never had an issue getting them to go in. They LIKED it.

I like dogs. Mine is an 8 pound Shi-Poo. (Actually, she 75%/25%.) Everybody thinks she's just so cute! She's so small that she gets away with things like pawing at you because it's cute! She hardly ever barks, but when she does, it's just adorable!! OMG! How can anyone not just love her!!!!

OK, now seriously:

She's never been in a stroller, a restaurant, grocery store, or cruise. Because she doesn't belong there.

283d112b7b0747945b14878846af09bb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Now that is a face that no one could hate. Very cute.

7bcd10e3f93379ac8e7f13955320f398.jpg

Domino was our family dog who sadly has passed away.

What a great looking dog. Funny enough, our screen name is a tribute to our dog Domino. She doesn't want her picture posted, she is embarrassed to not even be a Crown and Anchor member.

On a separate note, I understand people being afraid of dogs, but how can someone "hate" dogs?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

What a great looking dog. Funny enough, our screen name is a tribute to our dog Domino. She doesn't want her picture posted, she is embarrassed to not even be a Crown and Anchor member.

On a separate note, I understand people being afraid of dogs, but how can someone "hate" dogs?

I am afraid of dogs because I’ve been mauled by them In the past and my child get very very sick around them with severe allergic reaction’s. They also tear up your house it ruin your property value. Every friend I know that has a dog they jump up on your crotch and hurt you and their house smells like dog. I have no problem with legitimate service dogs for blind people and such but don’t subject my kid to being ill because you want to bring your pocket pet into a store or public place because you have supposed anxiety, That’s just being selfish

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am afraid of dogs because I’ve been mauled by them In the past and my child get very very sick around them with severe allergic reaction’s. They also tear up your house it ruin your property value. Every friend I know that has a dog they jump up on your crotch and hurt you and their house smells like dog. I have no problem with legitimate service dogs for blind people and such but don’t subject my kid to being ill because you want to bring your pocket pet into a store or public place because you have supposed anxiety, That’s just being selfish

Imouer, that I completely understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between the scammers and the real thing. You can make educated guesses (trained assistance dogs are trained not to bark (ever) and are good in crowds, It would be nice if there were a national certification program and specific requirements - much as you have to have a doctor's certificate to get a handicapped license plate. But folks scam that too. :rolleyes:

It's kind of hard to tell who is scamming anything. I have HC plates after my spine surgery last March, well actually a hang tag. You wouldn't think I have mobility issues if you saw me.

I think we understand the need for service animals but I have another question if you have allergies is there a way of knowing and assuring that there is no dander left from previous cruise from a service animal? I am not allergic but have family members that could be affected if they slept in a bed with trigger (animal dander) left over. do they have special cleaning?

Stolen from FB

b68c8073721dca3544676cab99bc6f38.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Because in the last 10+ years, we have more refined flour in our diet than they use to with all the ancient grains. It is the refined white wheat flour that contains gluten - potatoes, corn and rice don't so those cultures that have rice based noodles or corn based flours generally don't have problems.

Something triggers the gene to activate - you can carry the gene without becoming a celiac. But the more refined gluten containing products you eat, the more likely one day it will turn on and start causing problems.

In the past - people weren't diagnosed with Celiac - they were just rumbly tum, or gaseous or just died of cancer before it was known what to test for.

Who ever heard of wheaten corn flour - yet this is a modern product now on the shelves of supermarkets. They make sugars (Glucose from wheat) as an ingredient in a lot of products. So a lot has changed in the past 10 years that the previous 5000 didn't have to worry about.

I know this thread is about service animals - but making fun of blind people that need service animals is exactly the same as making fun of people that have to avoid a product like gluten (you shouldn't do either) because sure it won't kill them today - but every bit of gluten they eat brings them closer to developing cancer. Not to mention you don't want to go to the toilet after a celiac that has just been poisoned with Gluten. :o :(

They have to understand that it is not healthy for other passengers even if they have permission. Dogs should only be allowed for the blind. This picture was on Oasis March 20, 2017.19030424_1918265385082923_8173276205176742770_n.jpg?oh=060e127bc54172053778b639430e9c7e&oe=59CDD48F

I am a full time wheelchair user. I have severely limited mobility and am unable to reach things that are at or near floor level. I am unable to get items from low shelves at a store. If I drop something important such as a credit card I am uncomfortable with asking a random stranger to pick it up for me. If I am alone in a parking lot and drop my keys I can not pick them up myself. If I am in the restroom and drop my reacher wand that allows me to be able to use the restroom without help I can not pick it up. Should I have to give up my independence and not be allowed to leave my home without a family member because of my disability when my Service Dog gives me the ability to be independent? Statements like yours make me so very happy to have the ADA laws that allow me to life as normal and independent life as possible without having this opinion forced on me, which would keep me at home and depending on other people. I am no less entitled to live a more independent life than a blind person is.

Because in the last 10+ years, we have more refined flour in our diet than they use to with all the ancient grains. It is the refined white wheat flour that contains gluten - potatoes, corn and rice don't so those cultures that have rice based noodles or corn based flours generally don't have problems.

Something triggers the gene to activate - you can carry the gene without becoming a celiac. But the more refined gluten containing products you eat, the more likely one day it will turn on and start causing problems.

In the past - people weren't diagnosed with Celiac - they were just rumbly tum, or gaseous or just died of cancer before it was known what to test for.

Who ever heard of wheaten corn flour - yet this is a modern product now on the shelves of supermarkets. They make sugars (Glucose from wheat) as an ingredient in a lot of products. So a lot has changed in the past 10 years that the previous 5000 didn't have to worry about.

I know this thread is about service animals - but making fun of blind people that need service animals is exactly the same as making fun of people that have to avoid a product like gluten (you shouldn't do either) because sure it won't kill them today - but every bit of gluten they eat brings them closer to developing cancer. Not to mention you don't want to go to the toilet after a celiac that has just been poisoned with Gluten. :o :(

Very interesting post.

I am a full time wheelchair user. I have severely limited mobility and am unable to reach things that are at or near floor level. I am unable to get items from low shelves at a store. If I drop something important such as a credit card I am uncomfortable with asking a random stranger to pick it up for me. If I am alone in a parking lot and drop my keys I can not pick them up myself. If I am in the restroom and drop my reacher wand that allows me to be able to use the restroom without help I can not pick it up. Should I have to give up my independence and not be allowed to leave my home without a family member because of my disability when my Service Dog gives me the ability to be independent? Statements like yours make me so very happy to have the ADA laws that allow me to life as normal and independent life as possible without having this opinion forced on me, which would keep me at home and depending on other people. I am no less entitled to live a more independent life than a blind person is.

Very enlightening post and i felt heartfully sorry to hear what your daily life entails.

You have every right to a cruise and a service animal too and i think if people realised what some people have to endure on a daily basis they wouldn't be so quick to judge.

There are a lot of things I enjoy and find beneficial about Cruise Critic and the various posts, but the fact that you have to come on and explain your reality to people who post without fully understanding what they are saying is sad. I know we all have different opinions, but I wish people would have more empathy. I would be happy to pick your keys up for you any time, and I am glad that your service animal means you don't need me to. I can't understand what your life is like, but I can accept what you say as true, and support whatever it takes for you to have experiences the rest of us take for granted, without having to ask "Well how will it effect me". It would bother me way more, if even one person like yourself couldn't cruise on your terms, than if 100 small dogs that aren't really service animals get on. Thanks for being willing to bring your reality to this conversation. I hope you enjoy many more cruises.

There are a lot of things I enjoy and find beneficial about Cruise Critic and the various posts, but the fact that you have to come on and explain your reality to people who post without fully understanding what they are saying is sad. I know we all have different opinions, but I wish people would have more empathy. I would be happy to pick your keys up for you any time, and I am glad that your service animal means you don't need me to. I can't understand what your life is like, but I can accept what you say as true, and support whatever it takes for you to have experiences the rest of us take for granted, without having to ask "Well how will it effect me". It would bother me way more, if even one person like yourself couldn't cruise on your terms, than if 100 small dogs that aren't really service animals get on. Thanks for being willing to bring your reality to this conversation. I hope you enjoy many more cruises.

I totally agree.

Thank you Grapau27 and Domino D for your kind words!

I truly do understand people's frustration with fake Service Dogs. I assure you, nobody gets more upset about fakes than legitimate Service Dog handlers do. Fakes put our real Service Dogs in danger. So many real Service Dogs have been attacked because people wanted to slap a vest on Fluffy to be able to go shopping with her. It also makes life so much harder for us with legitimate Service Dogs because people with untrained, unhousebroken, barking, aggressive dogs in public make people who encounter a Service Dog team assume the worst.

With that being said, maybe I can help people understand a little better why the ADA does not require that we show ID or certification. Having a Service Dog and a busy, active life means potentially going into several business a day. If you had a disability that kept you from being able to walk, how would you feel if every time you walked through the door of a business you had to pull out ID or paperwork to prove that you actually needed your wheelchair and weren't just faking it? How would you feel by the end of the day? How about by the end of the week? Singled out? Frustrated? Like you are being treated unfairly because of your disability? Of course you would. A Service Dog is medical equipment. Your grandpa shouldn't have to stop at the door of every place he visits and show paperwork proving that he needs that oxygen he is carrying should he? It's not as difficult for me as a Service Dog handler as a person with a less obvious disability, because I am in a wheelchair, as it is for someone with a less obvious disability. While most Service Dogs are larger, and most Service Dogs walk instead of being carried, someone walking through the store with a Chihuahua in their arms may very well be carrying a well trained Service Dog that alerts to a life threatening drop in their blood sugar long before they would notice the symptoms. That big buff guy with the Pitt Bull may be a war veteran with debilitating PTSD whose Service Dog is trained to interrupt destructive behaviors which may endanger his handler's life. That teenager whose dog is wearing a guide dog harness and a fluffy pink sweater, who is obviously not blind could have a disease which brings on sudden temporary blindness or near blindness, or dissociation episodes where her Service Dog needs to lead her to safety to keep her from walking in front of a car. While most of us dress our Service Dogs in vests to identify them as such (mostly in hopes that the general public will allow us to get through our day un-harassed) there is no law saying that we must do so. I understand that people feel it looks unprofessional, but does medical equipment HAVE to be professional looking? I put stickers on my wheelchair and paint it bright colors. Does it mean I don't need my chair? Just because I personally choose to vest my dog does not mean the people who don't aren't legitimate Service Dog handlers. I really hope that this sheds some light on life with a Service Dog for people who have had so many negative comments about it simply through a lack of understanding!

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 54. At that time an alert went out to family members to get tested when my 42 year old first cousin died of T Cell Lymphoma. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at her autopsy. My 2 sons and 2 grandsons were also diagnosed at that time. My DIL got tested because she had all the symptoms and she has it too. Her mother has also since tested positive for Celiac disease.

If I accidentally ingest gluten I am down for the count for 3 or 4 days. When it happens on a cruise I usually end up missing ports and spend the time in the cabin by the bathroom.

I don't go on vacation to be mocked, called a liar, or ridiculed at the dinner table. For this reason we only get a table for 2 now. I am not about to hash over my health problem with perfect strangers. I came to terms with it 11 years ago. I am sick of being told it is all in my head by people who know nothing about it.

Sadly, the only 2 times in 11 years I have been glutened were when a waiter accidentally gave me the wrong meal. It happened in Sept 2014 on the Navigator. I ended up missing all the ports. I haven't been back on RCCL since, but am going to give it another shot in May 2018. The other incident was on the Carnival Freedom this past April. I missed 2 of the 3 ports on that cruise. Good thing I always bring on gluten free crackers and GF soups that can be reconstituted with hot water just in case.

Thank you Grapau27 and Domino D for your kind words!

I truly do understand people's frustration with fake Service Dogs. I assure you, nobody gets more upset about fakes than legitimate Service Dog handlers do. Fakes put our real Service Dogs in danger. So many real Service Dogs have been attacked because people wanted to slap a vest on Fluffy to be able to go shopping with her. It also makes life so much harder for us with legitimate Service Dogs because people with untrained, unhousebroken, barking, aggressive dogs in public make people who encounter a Service Dog team assume the worst.

With that being said, maybe I can help people understand a little better why the ADA does not require that we show ID or certification. Having a Service Dog and a busy, active life means potentially going into several business a day. If you had a disability that kept you from being able to walk, how would you feel if every time you walked through the door of a business you had to pull out ID or paperwork to prove that you actually needed your wheelchair and weren't just faking it? How would you feel by the end of the day? How about by the end of the week? Singled out? Frustrated? Like you are being treated unfairly because of your disability? Of course you would. A Service Dog is medical equipment. Your grandpa shouldn't have to stop at the door of every place he visits and show paperwork proving that he needs that oxygen he is carrying should he? It's not as difficult for me as a Service Dog handler as a person with a less obvious disability, because I am in a wheelchair, as it is for someone with a less obvious disability. While most Service Dogs are larger, and most Service Dogs walk instead of being carried, someone walking through the store with a Chihuahua in their arms may very well be carrying a well trained Service Dog that alerts to a life threatening drop in their blood sugar long before they would notice the symptoms. That big buff guy with the Pitt Bull may be a war veteran with debilitating PTSD whose Service Dog is trained to interrupt destructive behaviors which may endanger his handler's life. That teenager whose dog is wearing a guide dog harness and a fluffy pink sweater, who is obviously not blind could have a disease which brings on sudden temporary blindness or near blindness, or dissociation episodes where her Service Dog needs to lead her to safety to keep her from walking in front of a car. While most of us dress our Service Dogs in vests to identify them as such (mostly in hopes that the general public will allow us to get through our day un-harassed) there is no law saying that we must do so. I understand that people feel it looks unprofessional, but does medical equipment HAVE to be professional looking? I put stickers on my wheelchair and paint it bright colors. Does it mean I don't need my chair? Just because I personally choose to vest my dog does not mean the people who don't aren't legitimate Service Dog handlers. I really hope that this sheds some light on life with a Service Dog for people who have had so many negative comments about it simply through a lack of understanding!

I wish i could help you more.

We took Paulines mam on 5 cruises with us after her dad died, the last for her 90th birthday and she was in a wheelchair so we understand to a certain degree what disablement is like.

Did the dog bother you or cause you problems?

Please as others have said don’t assume. I’m thankful that those that have emotional and physical issues are able to travel and find joy in doing so. Please don’t begrudge them that joy. And no I don’t travel with a service pet but know some that do and the animals make all the difference in their world

I don't go on vacation to be mocked, called a liar, or ridiculed at the dinner table. For this reason we only get a table for 2 now. I am not about to hash over my health problem with perfect strangers.

This is SO well said! This is exactly how I feel as a Service Dog handler when people want to grill me about her.

On the last cruise in the Oasis I also had to see a lady with two puppies in a baby carriage. Of course she did not show signs of needing the service of the dogs. It is my opinion that this facility has been abused. However trained the dog is, there will always be risks and it is unhygienic. But they have to allow it if they do not demand them.

It is a constant struggle very few realise just how limit8ng a wheelchair is, I spent five years in one, you can’t reach things, you may even have real problems with some doors and if you are fortunate enough (as I now am) to only need it at times there is always someone willing to call you a fake when they see you out of it.

If I were totally honest I think that is the worst of all the constant challenges and questions or statements like “but you were walking fine, yesterday”.

Also people don’t realis that in a wheelchair you not only have lost the use of your legs, but also your hand(S) as in a manual chair they are used to move you, in a power chair it’s only one hand, but still I often wonder how most people would get on using just one hand.

I didn't realize the "service pets" had made it to the cruise ships. I work for a major airline and its totally out of control. It is to the point that it is ruining it for the folks that truely need a service animal (a real service animal...not a pet).

We are retired airline and have seen this abuse for decades! Just before I retired I saw a young healthy 20 yr old kid exit the aircraft with his “service” dog. A 50+ lb Pitt bull with a metal spike collar.

Service dog....yeah right...

We are retired airline and have seen this abuse for decades! Just before I retired I saw a young healthy 20 yr old kid exit the aircraft with his “service” dog. A 50+ lb Pitt bull with a metal spike collar.

So you know the kid didn't have a seizure disorder or other issue?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Just the sort of judgement attitude I was talking about earlier.