Dog on ship

If different people were carrying the dog around, it is unlikely it was a true service dog. It is unfortunate that some people circumvent and abuse the rules.

It is more than unfortunate if people abuse the rules. It is dishonest and I could think of other terms! I'm familiar with service dogs in my area because of PTSD and they are large breeds often rescue dogs that have been trained. Have always vest stating what they are trained for and a harness on. I think that is a requirement for any service dog. On one cruise I did see a blind lady with a yellow Labrador with proper vest and harness.

I will! If I see an obvious "non-service" service dog on board. I will report it. And, will make its owner uncomfortable when around me.

This is ridiculous.

More than once on an airline I have asked to have my seat moved because of this so called service dog idiocy.

I also am in favor of charging extra for service dogs not associated with and certified for blind passengers.

You can't harass a disabled persson.

Also, service dogs DO NOT need to wear vests. They do not need to be identified to you as a service animal.

You can't harass a disabled persson.

Also, service dogs DO NOT need to wear vests. They do not need to be identified to you as a service animal.

(this is correct by law they do not need identification, which is also why so many people just take advantage)

The problem is , just like so many things these days. So many HORRIBLE SELFISH people take advantage of the system and the rules, Leaving a bit of a bad impression which unfortunately spills over onto those that truly do need and benefit from the use of a trained animal. I am on planes at least once per week. I have been told numerous times from the Pet owner how they bought a vest online so they could travel with their pet. THIS IS THE PROBLEM. Please understand. I think service animals are amazing and I understand the absolute benefit they bring to the people that truly need them. My issue is with the people who think their pet is a human, dress poor muffin up in a sailor suit and make up stories so they can travel with them because they just cant stand to be without them. They uses excuses like, OH everyone loves my muffin.. NOT TRUE, many people are afraid of animals, many are allergic to animals.

Here is a copy of the Americans with disabilities act for animals

§ 35.136 Service animals

• (a) General. Generally, a public entity shall modify its policies, practices, or procedures to permit the use of a service animal by an individual with a disability.
  • (b) Exceptions. A public entity may ask an individual with a disability to remove a service animal from the premises if—
    • (1) The animal is out of control and the animal's handler does not take effective action to control it; or (for example the ones that let their dog eat from the table in the MDR)
    • (2) The animal is not housebroken.

[*]© If an animal is properly excluded. If a public entity properly excludes a service animal under § 35.136(b), it shall give the individual with a disability the opportunity to participate in the service, program, or activity without having the service animal on the premises.

[*](d) Animal under handler's control. A service animal shall be under the control of its handler. A service animal shall have a harness, leash, or other tether, unless either the handler is unable because of a disability to use a harness, leash, or other tether, or the use of a harness, leash, or other tether would interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of work or tasks, in which case the service animal must be otherwise under the handler's control (e.g., voice control, signals, or other effective means).

[*](e) Care or supervision. A public entity is not responsible for the care or supervision of a service animal.

[*](f) Inquiries. A public entity shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person's disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public entity may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public entity shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public entity may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person's wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

[*](g) Access to areas of a public entity. Individuals with disabilities shall be permitted to be accompanied by their service animals in all areas of a public entity's facilities where members of the public, participants in services, programs or activities, or invitees, as relevant, are allowed to go.

[*](h) Surcharges. A public entity shall not ask or require an individual with a disability to pay a surcharge, even if people accompanied by pets are required to pay fees, or to comply with other requirements generally not applicable to people without pets. If a public entity normally charges individuals for the damage they cause, an individual with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal.

"Any person who intentionally interferes with the use of a guide, signal, or service dog or mobility aid by harassing or obstructing is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail up to 6 months, or fine of not less than $1,500 nor more than $2,500, or both.

West’s Ann. Cal. Penal Code § 365.6"

If you want to question or harass the owner of the dog, you need to be aware of interpretations of the laws like above. If you intentionally harass and interfere with the use of a support dog, you could be guilty of a misdemeanor.

MYOB. Just like with breastfeeding, you cannot harass the mother.... public acommodation means the person has the right to freely enjoy the public space. Questioning an owner of a service dog IS harassment when it is none of your business.

"Anyone who denies or interferes with admittance to or enjoyment of the public facilities or otherwise interferes with the rights of an individual with a disability is liable for each offense for the actual damages up to a maximum of 3 times the amount of actual damages, but in no case less than $1,000, and attorney’s fees.

“Interfere,” for purposes of this section, includes, but is not limited to, preventing or causing the prevention of a guide dog, signal dog, or service dog from carrying out its functions in assisting a disabled person.

West’s Ann. Cal. Civ. Code § 54.3"

This may also help.

This is why I am all for service animals in public and against emotional support animals on cruises. THEY ARE A COMPANION. Leave the pet, bring a friend.

2. What is the difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal?

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. These tasks can include things like pulling a wheelchair, guiding a person who is visually impaired, alerting a person who is having a seizure, or even calming a person who suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. The tasks a service dog can perform are not limited to this list. However, the work or task a service dog does must be directly related to the person's disability. Service dogs may accompany persons with disabilities into places that the public normally goes. This includes state and local government buildings, businesses open to the public, public transportation, and non-profit organizations open to the public. The law that allows a trained service dog to accompany a person with a disability is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

An emotional support animal is an animal (typically a dog or cat though this can include other species) that provides a therapeutic benefit to its owner through companionship. The animal provides emotional support and comfort to individuals with psychiatric disabilities and other mental impairments. The animal is not specifically trained to perform tasks for a person who suffers from emotional disabilities. Unlike a service animal, an emotional support animal is not granted access to places of public accommodation. Under the federal Fair Housing Act (FHA), an emotional support animal is viewed as a "reasonable accommodation" in a housing unit that has a "no pets" rule for its residents.

I have a bulldog and I have asthma. My bulldog, without training, has alerted me to impending attacks by jumping up on me and not stopping. After a while, I put it together.

However, I wouldn't bring her on a ship. I bring my asthma meds and my peak flow meter. Sometimes I need a vacation from dog care responsibilities too.

I'm not disparaging others who would bring their alert dog.... it is a choice.

However, I did see a "suspicious" emotional support dog at ATL who had the vest on. It was about 15 years old and in a dog wheelchair. As I said, it was "suspicious" but I said nothing.

No one speaks for all people with disabilities. Many do object to being forced to subject their situation to scrutiny, and that is reflected in the law that the previous poster cited.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Many people object to having to provide information...Wanting to bring an animal onboard an airplane or cruise ship they should have to provide documentation...just like everyone else.

I have a bulldog and I have asthma. My bulldog, without training, has alerted me to impending attacks by jumping up on me and not stopping. After a while, I put it together.

However, I wouldn't bring her on a ship. I bring my asthma meds and my peak flow meter. Sometimes I need a vacation from dog care responsibilities too.

I'm not disparaging others who would bring their alert dog.... it is a choice.

However, I did see a "suspicious" emotional support dog at ATL who had the vest on. It was about 15 years old and in a dog wheelchair. As I said, it was "suspicious" but I said nothing.

Perhaps the dog was actually bringing their "emotional support human" :D:D

Royal could cut down on this a bit by simply charging a fee - the posers are more likely to give up then.

I believe it is against the law to charge for a service animal... and according to the ADA guidelines it is against the law to ask what a person['s disability is, but you can ask what service the dog does provide

Cunard ships do have kennels on board and they do charge for non service dogs.... there is a place maintained as a potty spot that you can take the dog to do its business or pay to have a kennel worker take care of the pet.. other ships have not followed this and I'm not sure how well it would go over with mainstream cruisers... I for one, leave my sweetie at the vet's so I can enjoy my vacation..do I miss her? of course I do

A company or store or what have you asking for the certificate of a service animal (they are certified, ESA's are not) is not harassment. People with ESA's are supposed to get letters annually from their treating doctor, and airlines and residences are permitted to ask for a copy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are very valuable service dogs beyond those for the blind. And they are well-trained and inconspicuous. Completely separate from support animals.

absolutely.... in particular they are trained to assist people with parkinsons... they are trained to prevent falls

also amazing they can be trained as diabetes service dogs.. they can actually tell when your blood sugar is too low ... and if someone passes out they will bark and go to a kit that has the medication

I understand that any breed, big or small can be trained...