Dog on ship

The ship's management will pretty much not confront anyone anymore, so this will get more widespread.
As with many of our debates, this is the salient point. Working in a related industry, I would find it hard to believe that any large company will risk an employee violating ADA policy by over zealous enforcement. It simply isn't worth the risk, and they will error on the side of caution. Better to error by letting a questionable animal on, than by denying a true service animal by mistake.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

As with many of our debates, this is the salient point. Working in a related industry, I would find it hard to believe that any large company will risk an employee violating ADA policy by over zealous enforcement. It simply isn't worth the risk, and they will error on the side of caution. Better to error by letting a questionable animal on, than by denying a true service animal by mistake.

Political Correctness has gone mad.

I 100% agree with service animals and the British lines like P&O are very strict on this but comfort animals are cute but should be banned.

Political Correctness has gone mad.

I 100% agree with service animals and the British lines like P&O are very strict on this but comfort animals are cute but should be banned.

Seems like there should be some kind of official documenting of true service animals. Then businesses could safely implement procedures to verify licensing. The Royal policy actually days something like "A strong verbal assurance groom the owner".

Seems like there should be some kind of official documenting of true service animals. Then businesses could safely implement procedures to verify licensing. The Royal policy actually days something like "A strong verbal assurance groom the owner".

Oops from the owner

That's the problem, as Graupau says, PC gone wild. The law specifically states that there is no documentation requirement (as apparently this would discomfort those needing the service animals by "registering" their disability), and business owners cannot ask the nature of the disability, only the specific task the animal is trained to provide (and not a demonstration of that ability).

There are a number of states who have enacted or are considering legislation to address this issue. The various legislation provide for stiff fines for those owners who present their dogs as “working dogs,” when the animal has not been properly trained. Comfort dogs are excluded under this legislation, and rightly so. The dogs trained to assist PTSD individuals would not be excluded. Hopefully if enough states enact legislation the ADA will be modified as well.

The ADA is pretty clear and specific in its description of a service animal . It is of course possible this dog is a service animal . However there is another possibility. It is much easier to just call an animal a support , emotional support or therapy animal . People need to be more aware of the differences between the two .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sorry to tell you, but a dog that "helps with anxiety" is not a service dog. It is an emotional support animal. In order to qualify as a service animal under the ADA, an animal must be trained to perform a specific action or task for its owner. These can include, but are not limited to: alerting the owner of impending seizures or blood sugar emergencies, acting as the owners eyes or ears, assisting the owner with reaching things and/or performing tasks, or even breaking the cycle of a PTSD incident by touching the owner in a specific way. All service animals are also trained to be inconspicuous in public venues. When they are working, they will not react to or bark at distractions, etc. An animal that offers comfort in the natural way that animals do is a PET. When a doctor prescribes a pet to help with anxiety, it can be considered and "emotional support animal," but it is STILL not a service animal as protected under the ADA.

Not entirely accurate/complete. When the anxiety is debilitating, the use of a Psychiatric Service Dog can be helpful, and they do qualify under the ADA. We know the difference between a service dog, and an ESA. These dogs are trained "to perform a specific action or task for its owner", just like any other service dog.

I just got off Liberty of the Seas and 2 support dogs, one that walked and wore a vest but walked with its different owners. The other in a pink stroller with bows in its hair. Several states are starting to crack down and create laws about support dogs.
I'm looking at some news articles about this including

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/29/several-states-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/

I would be interested in seeing if we could get this passed in SC but I think for cruises, Florida legislation would be even more effective because many ships home port there.

I'm looking at some news articles about this including

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/29/several-states-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/

I would be interested in seeing if we could get this passed in SC but I think for cruises, Florida legislation would be even more effective because many ships home port there.

It is upsetting to leave your pets at home and John & Lalas dog Bella who is adorable is a classic case.

If they and most of us leave pets at home why do these people with so called comfort animals think it is okay.7bcd10e3f93379ac8e7f13955320f398.jpg

Domino was our family dog who sadly has passed away.

It is upsetting to leave your pets at home and John & Lalas dog Bella who is adorable is a classic case.

If they and most of us leave pets at home why do these people with so called comfort animals think it is okay.7bcd10e3f93379ac8e7f13955320f398.jpg

Domino was our family dog who sadly has passed away.

So sorry for your loss of Domino. I have experienced this heartache myself many times.

I have NO patience for people who take advantage of the use of service dogs so they can bring their own pets on board. Actual service dogs provide a range of amazing services from guidance to notifying before their handler suffers seizures to comforting veterans with PTSD. All these people and their dogs, IMHO, should be welcomed without question everywhere. But I there are always people who twist things to their own selfish advantage.

We have 2 precious dogs that were rescued from puppy mills, and as much as we dislike being apart from them, they would actually be more stressed on a cruise ship than at the boarding facility where they stay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've seen this more and more at home too. People bring their dogs with them into the grocery store and they are definitely not all service dogs. One group of six young males walked into Publix with a pitbull. Management didn't do a thing...
Pitbulls can be service dogs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

So sorry for your loss of Domino. I have experienced this heartache myself many times.

I have NO patience for people who take advantage of the use of service dogs so they can bring their own pets on board. Actual service dogs provide a range of amazing services from guidance to notifying before their handler suffers seizures to comforting veterans with PTSD. All these people and their dogs, IMHO, should be welcomed without question everywhere. But I there are always people who twist things to their own selfish advantage.

We have 2 precious dogs that were rescued from puppy mills, and as much as we dislike being apart from them, they would actually be more stressed on a cruise ship than at the boarding facility where they stay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you,great post.

What everyone seems to miss, is, it's not fair to the animal.

Stranger anxiety, nowhere to properly relieve, over-stimulation, etc., etc....

If these morons would put their dog in a proper kennel, it would all work out.

We have a fortunate situation, that when we vacation, our Siberian Husky has a better time than we do. Probably.

I hate dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like dogs. Mine is an 8 pound Shi-Poo. (Actually, she 75%/25%.) Everybody thinks she's just so cute! She's so small that she gets away with things like pawing at you because it's cute! She hardly ever barks, but when she does, it's just adorable!! OMG! How can anyone not just love her!!!!

OK, now seriously:

She's never been in a stroller, a restaurant, grocery store, or cruise. Because she doesn't belong there.

283d112b7b0747945b14878846af09bb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

What everyone seems to miss, is, it's not fair to the animal.

Stranger anxiety, nowhere to properly relieve, over-stimulation, etc., etc....

If these morons would put their dog in a proper kennel, it would all work out.

We have a fortunate situation, that when we vacation, our Siberian Husky has a better time than we do. Probably.

How true.

You can't treat dogs like little people. It isn't good for the dog,

I have a relative who got one of those certificates on line so she can take her small dog on a plane and not pay the fee. I've already expressed my disapproval to them. My daughter has 3 dogs and when she is away she hires someone to watch them. While she treats them special, she knows they are dogs.

I completely understand the need for true service dogs. But then there are people (like me) who are allergic to dogs and it makes life tough for us. My allergies were totally fine on my last cruise - except when the service dog was in the area, which is really unfortunate.

This is a difficult situation. There are many types of assistance dogs -- everything from guide dogs for the blind to those who help amputees to those who can recognize seizures. And the ubiquitous "emotional assistance" dogs -- whatever that means.

As I understand it, there is no "official" certification for assistance dogs. And, as others have pointed out, it's pretty easy to get a certificate of sorts from the internet for about $40. Businesses (including cruise lines) can't legally question whether a dog is a "true" assistance dog, provided the owner shows some type of certificate. While most legit service dogs tend to be on the large side and have certain other traits, there undoubtedly are legit dogs of smaller stature.

The above said, far too many people (which means more than one) simply want to bring their pets on a cruise. So they get fake internet certificates and voila.

As a true dog lover who would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take my (small) dogs with me on a cruise, I HATE, HATE, HATE the scammers. There are lots of folks in this world who depend on legitimate service dogs to help them live normal lives. People who cheat the system should be ashamed -- and instead should be thanking God (or whatever higher power they believe in) that they don't NEED a service dog -- just a companion animal.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between the scammers and the real thing. You can make educated guesses (trained assistance dogs are trained not to bark (ever) and are good in crowds, It would be nice if there were a national certification program and specific requirements - much as you have to have a doctor's certificate to get a handicapped license plate. But folks scam that too. :rolleyes:

This is a difficult situation. There are many types of assistance dogs -- everything from guide dogs for the blind to those who help amputees to those who can recognize seizures. And the ubiquitous "emotional assistance" dogs -- whatever that means.

As I understand it, there is no "official" certification for assistance dogs. And, as others have pointed out, it's pretty easy to get a certificate of sorts from the internet for about $40. Businesses (including cruise lines) can't legally question whether a dog is a "true" assistance dog, provided the owner shows some type of certificate. While most legit service dogs tend to be on the large side and have certain other traits, there undoubtedly are legit dogs of smaller stature.

The above said, far too many people (which means more than one) simply want to bring their pets on a cruise. So they get fake internet certificates and voila.

As a true dog lover who would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take my (small) dogs with me on a cruise, I HATE, HATE, HATE the scammers. There are lots of folks in this world who depend on legitimate service dogs to help them live normal lives. People who cheat the system should be ashamed -- and instead should be thanking God (or whatever higher power they believe in) that they don't NEED a service dog -- just a companion animal.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between the scammers and the real thing. You can make educated guesses (trained assistance dogs are trained not to bark (ever) and are good in crowds, It would be nice if there were a national certification program and specific requirements - much as you have to have a doctor's certificate to get a handicapped license plate. But folks scam that too. :rolleyes:

Agree totally. Some pages back, folks were mentioning that there were bills in state legislatures to eliminate fake service dog certification mills on the Internet . If enough of these pass, it could bring pressure on federal govt. for a fix.