Dog on ship

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 54. At that time an alert went out to family members to get tested when my 42 year old first cousin died of T Cell Lymphoma. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at her autopsy. My 2 sons and 2 grandsons were also diagnosed at that time. My DIL got tested because she had all the symptoms and she has it too. Her mother has also since tested positive for Celiac disease.

If I accidentally ingest gluten I am down for the count for 3 or 4 days. When it happens on a cruise I usually end up missing ports and spend the time in the cabin by the bathroom.

I don't go on vacation to be mocked, called a liar, or ridiculed at the dinner table. For this reason we only get a table for 2 now. I am not about to hash over my health problem with perfect strangers. I came to terms with it 11 years ago. I am sick of being told it is all in my head by people who know nothing about it.

Sadly, the only 2 times in 11 years I have been glutened were when a waiter accidentally gave me the wrong meal. It happened in Sept 2014 on the Navigator. I ended up missing all the ports. I haven't been back on RCCL since, but am going to give it another shot in May 2018. The other incident was on the Carnival Freedom this past April. I missed 2 of the 3 ports on that cruise. Good thing I always bring on gluten free crackers and GF soups that can be reconstituted with hot water just in case.

I hope you have a better experience on RCCL this spring. I was diagnosed 3 years ago after several months of being extremely ill. I have found RCCL very accommodating to my needs, although I must say DH & I do not go to MDR. Last June on Grandeur, a chef in WJ prepared a GF meal for me each evening. I had asked for help choosing GF items (I'm too short to easily read the signs over the buffet tables) and he offered to cook for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And it's people who bring little Fluffy, her outfits, her stroller and her fake certificate/vest on a cruise that could jeopardize the ability of people, who have real needs, to bring genuine assistance dogs onboard for a cruise. This thread started as a discussion of fake service animals.

Like most people I want those who truly need a Service Animal to have one.....but bringing Fluffy (as you describe) along because the cost of housing them back home is high and the owner has found an illegitimate way to bring Fluffy along, doesn't sit well with me at all. I have no control over it, but I can have an opinion and it is MINE.

My question, and not sure it was even asked as I didn’t finish scrolling down, is where the heck does this poor animal go to the bathroom? I don’t think too many passengers will like to see dog waste on their cruise ship!

There is usually a small "astroturf" box on the outside promenade deck for that purpose.

My question, and not sure it was even asked as I didn’t finish scrolling down, is where the heck does this poor animal go to the bathroom? I don’t think too many passengers will like to see dog waste on their cruise ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ship provides a box with turf or mulch. Some handlers opt for puppy pads on their balcony. Most legitimate service dogs are trained to eliminate on command like my girl is, and will go when and wherever we ask them to. Also most real Service Dog handlers are very conscientious and are not going to leave the waste laying around for others to have to look at. There are waste cans provided next to the box and we bring waste bags and whatever tools we need to pick up after our dogs. The vast majority of us go above and beyond to take extreme care to ensure that our Service Dogs are not a disruption or unnecessary irritation to others.

Edited by HHFamily

Like most people I want those who truly need a Service Animal to have one.....but bringing Fluffy (as you describe) along because the cost of housing them back home is high and the owner has found an illegitimate way to bring Fluffy along, doesn't sit well with me at all. I have no control over it, but I can have an opinion and it is MINE.
Thanks for validating my opinion and sharing my concern about people like the lady in a wheelchair or a soldier with PTSD etc. could loose the ability to bring their trained assistance dogs on a cruise.

The ship provides a box with turf or mulch. Some handlers opt for puppy pads on their balcony. Most legitimate service dogs are trained to eliminate on command like my girl is, and will go when and wherever we ask them to. Also most real Service Dog handlers are very conscientious and are not going to leave the waste laying around for others to have to look at. There are waste cans provided next to the box and we bring waste bags and whatever tools we need to pick up after our dogs. The vast majority of us go above and beyond to take extreme care to ensure that our Service Dogs are not a disruption or unnecessary irritation to others.
I've read about instances when Little Fluffy has relieved herself in other places on the ship like in front of guest relations and her owner has left the deposit for the crew to clean up.

I've read about instances when Little Fluffy has relieved herself in other places on the ship like in front of guest relations and her owner has left the deposit for the crew to clean up.

So have I, but I was referring to real Service Dogs, not fakes. Barring unexpected illness this will never happen with a fully trained Service Dog, and if such illness related accident did happen a Service Dog handler (or even a half decent pet owner for that matter) would clean it up themselves right away.

So have I, but I was referring to real Service Dogs, not fakes. Barring unexpected illness this will never happen with a fully trained Service Dog, and if such illness related accident did happen a Service Dog handler (or even a half decent pet owner for that matter) would clean it up themselves right away.

I agree proper service dogs will be properly trained as opposed to fluffy.

Bella puts a smile on everyones faces i would think.

We adore her.

Bah, snack sized dog.

My old Max would have been able to hold down at least 4 deck chairs, and NO ONE would have argued. And he was the sweetest boy. But some people seem to have concerns about a 130+ pound dog. :D

In Sunderland Coroners court today a father was sent to prison for 21 months for the death of his 3week old baby who was mauled to death by the family Pit Bull Terrier.

I posted this in reply to the posts about a young man on a plane with his comfort????! Pit Bull dog.