Dog on ship

A couple of weeks ago I saw a lady with a Collie/shepherd mix with what looked to be an embroidered "service dog" on the harness at the costco near me. Of course (and I really wish I got a picture) the lady was going between sample stations taking a bite herself and giving the rest to the expectantly sitting dog.

So is anything in place to keep that from happening in the windjammer? Nothing in Royal's policy says you can't feed it from the buffet.

I can tell you one thing....if I had seen that, I would have been talking with the Hotel Director, who oversees Food and Beverage Services on the ship. When I got home, I would have been contacting Michael Bayley's office.

I wondered why they were selling those little lanyards in the gift shop that matched the large ones. Turns out they are flea collars

I think the OWNERS need to be wearing the flea collars as well....they have become inhabited by 'buggy brains'. Too many don't want to pay to put their little fluffy wonder in a 'pet hotel' while they are away.

I want those that truly need a service dog to have them, believe me. In my daily work world there is a tremendous difference between a real service dog and a dog that the owner has in a 'stroller' for their pleasure.

All trained service dogs in Canada have a picture ID card similar to a drivers license issue by the provincial government and is accepted by our national tax department as their on going cost are deductible as medical expenses. In all cases the associated human has a government approved Disability Tax Credit. Sounds like the USA should copy Canada's system to ensure no abuse of the system.

I can tell you one thing....if I had seen that, I would have been talking with the Hotel Director, who oversees Food and Beverage Services on the ship. When I got home, I would have been contacting Michael Bayley's office.

Given the dog in the post you reference was at Costco, just what exactly would you expect the Hotel Director or Michael Bayley to have done ? I doubt they have any influence on Costco policy.

I am recently returned from a Harmony of the Seas cruise on which a family (seemed to be 6 or 7 people) had a very small dog, I think a Yorkie, which one or the other of them carried all over the ship. I did not know any but service dogs were allowed on cruise ships and this dog was doing no service except being cute. So what gives?

Small dog are now 'prescribed' as therapy dogs for people with anxiety issues. At least, that's what I've heard/read/have been told.

As was mentioned when this thread was new, under the law, there is a BIG difference between a Service Dog, and an Emotional Support Animal. The first has legal protections to go anywhere the owner is allowed to go. The second does not.

But few people or companies know the difference or enforce the difference. Thus you have an airline boarding, in the passenger cabin, a 300 pound "emotional support pig."

I know of someone who had a small dog that alerts them when a seizure is about to happen. I have no idea how the dog knows, but that is really not the point.

The point is, there are legitimate service animals for many things. However, many...unfortunately my cousin is one...go online and get certificates for "emotional support animals" (that is what my cousin has) but they have never been under treatment for emotional issues, seen a doctor for emotional issues, been in ad hoc group sessions for emotional issues or, in any other form or setting, have been thought to have emotional issues. Those are the problem people.

In my opinion airlines, cruise lines, trains, hotels, etc. should require something from a doctor and there should be a requirement of documentation that a certified trainer has performed specific and specialized training that enables the animal to provide the assistance a doctor said was needed.

My husband had seizures as a result of an illness that were not controlled by meds. We bought a dog at the time that he started with seizures. Although she was never trained, she could tell when he was going to have one and many times she would bring him out of one. But we never brought her with us when we traveled. After 12 years, we found a different med that works and he has been seizure free for a year.

All trained service dogs in Canada have a picture ID card similar to a drivers license issue by the provincial government and is accepted by our national tax department as their on going cost are deductible as medical expenses. In all cases the associated human has a government approved Disability Tax Credit. Sounds like the USA should copy Canada's system to ensure no abuse of the system.
I think this is a great idea. It would allow the people who need trained Assistance Dogs to have them and close down the Internet Service Dog sites that issue certificates for $50.

I think this is a great idea. It would allow the people who need trained Assistance Dogs to have them and close down the Internet Service Dog sites that issue certificates for $50.

And then cruisers would have to leave little or not so little Toto, at home. I would love it!

And then cruisers would have to leave little or not so little Toto, at home. I would love it!
Me too!!! I just feel these fake service dogs are endangering the ability of folks who need real Assistance Dogs to bring them on the ships. A friend works with a group -- Paws for a Cause -- that trains Assistance dogs etc. They do group cruises and they are so excited to be able to cruise. Without the dogs, they wouldn't be able to.

On my last cruise in April, there was a man in the MDR with a yorkie. My girls were thrilled to see a cute dog and surprised that it was a service dog. Apparently the dog is trained to detect sugar high/low based on the mans breath. I thought that odd, and once I came ashore, I googled and sure enough, there are service dogs for diabetics .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my last cruise in April, there was a man in the MDR with a yorkie. My girls were thrilled to see a cute dog and surprised that it was a service dog. Apparently the dog is trained to detect sugar high/low based on the mans breath. I thought that odd, and once I came ashore, I googled and sure enough, there are service dogs for diabetics .

How about a service dog to detect low blood alcohol levels? A retriever perhaps?