Dog on ship

For some reason, American companies are absolutely terrified to challenge anyone who brings an animal with them anywhere. The ADA is broad, but it is not unlimited.

So true. Years ago I was in the store (with a no pet policy) with my then 2 year old, and some person's dog completely lit up at my son, who had done absolutely nothing. Horrible, aggressive growling. I asked a store clerk that saw the whole thing, "I thought you have a no pet policy" and he said "we do." Just shook my head.

The RCCL policy posted above is so broad that it seems to allow basically anyone to bring a pet so long as the owner is willing to lie about the purpose.

Mention-mom,

At this time the seats that are the first row of coach (the bulkhead seats) on a plane is now designated for people traveling with animals. They are allowed to take them out of carries if the animal will lay down and stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I flew 6 months ago with 6 emotional support dogs, none were in carriers and none sat in those front rows.

I was talking about the conveyance of NON service dogs on planes, in response to the person whose son had an allergic reaction.

Mention-mom,

At this time the seats that are the first row of coach (the bulkhead seats) on a plane is now designated for people traveling with animals. They are allowed to take them out of carries if the animal will lay down and stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this all airlines? How recent? I ask because I travel with show cats and deliberately avoid bulkhead seats as there is no seat in front of you to slide the carrier under. They are charged a fee to fly and must be put under the seat - unlike a toddler who can sit on a parent's lap, scream, cry and kick the seat in front of them for free. I'll admit to being a bit irked last year when my cat was charged a fee to ride under the seat in a carrier while in the seat across the aisle was a person holding an "emotional support" dog in their lap through the whole flight - it flew free as well. Oh, the cat is also required to have a rabies certificate and a health certificate signed by a vet no more than ten days from the date of the flight.

My sister flew from MN to NY about 8 years ago with her "pet" cat on Delta. She also had to have the rabies shot cert and health cert. The cat was in a carrier and she paid for it. Well, only 2 "pets" were allowed in the cabin at the time. Her cat was put in CARGO.:'):cool:

This is one reason why people lie.:evilsmile:

The RCCL policy posted above is so broad that it seems to allow basically anyone to bring a pet so long as the owner is willing to lie about the purpose.
What makes the policy any different than the law in your mind?

A great deal of things in our society rely on people voluntarily abiding by the rules. The solution you are seeking is a restoration of honor and honesty - of people not becoming as self centered, self motivated and self ratifying as they are now. Fix the consideration people have for each other and your concerns will be moot.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

My sister flew from MN to NY about 8 years ago with her "pet" cat on Delta. She also had to have the rabies shot cert and health cert. The cat was in a carrier and she paid for it. Well, only 2 "pets" were allowed in the cabin at the time. Her cat was put in CARGO.:'):cool:

This is one reason why people lie.:evilsmile:

Happened to me once returning from a big show in Portland - had a reservation and had purchased a ticket. Was called up to the podium before boarding and told there had been a computer "glitch" and there were too many cats on the plane and mine would have to ride in cargo. After arguing for a few minutes, I turned to a woman seated nearby with a baby and assured them that that child would ride in cargo before my cat. At that point, I heard my row number called and turned and boarded the plane. Waited for them to physically removed me but they didn't.

Just want to clarify that there are two types of "service" animals:

- Emotional support animals which provide the owner with some necessary peace of mind

- True service animals which perform a service for its owner, such as those with hearing or vision issues.

Unfortunately, the ADA is rather vague on this and many people have begun taking advantage of the rules, getting doctors notes and paperwork to show that their dog is a service animal, even if it only provides an emotional service. Companies don't want to be found in violation of the ADA and therefore err on the side of the customer.

Unfortunately, unlike true service dogs, emotional support animals have received little to no specialized training, which can be problematic for public settings or restaurants. Also, for someone like myself who has severe canine allergies, this massive influx of dogs into confined spaces (planes in particular) is really problematic.

On a recent cross-country flight, I had to spend the entire trip with my legs in an uncomfortable position because the lady next to me had a "service" pit bull which took up much of my leg room. It was clearly for emotional support only. However, it's really unfair as it not only made my eyes watery and nose runny, it also kind of ruined what should have been a very peaceful flight, especially since I paid the extra money for first class.

Just want to clarify that there are two types of "service" animals:

- Emotional support animals which provide the owner with some necessary peace of mind

- True service animals which perform a service for its owner, such as those with hearing or vision issues.

Unfortunately, the ADA is rather vague on this and many people have begun taking advantage of the rules, getting doctors notes and paperwork to show that their dog is a service animal, even if it only provides an emotional service. Companies don't want to be found in violation of the ADA and therefore err on the side of the customer.

Unfortunately, unlike true service dogs, emotional support animals have received little to no specialized training, which can be problematic for public settings or restaurants. Also, for someone like myself who has severe canine allergies, this massive influx of dogs into confined spaces (planes in particular) is really problematic.

On a recent cross-country flight, I had to spend the entire trip with my legs in an uncomfortable position because the lady next to me had a "service" pit bull which took up much of my leg room. It was clearly for emotional support only. However, it's really unfair as it not only made my eyes watery and nose runny, it also kind of ruined what should have been a very peaceful flight, especially since I paid the extra money for first class.

That is terrible and in first class too.

We fly from the UK every 6 weeks and this fortunately is something we don't experience.

Regarding ships i checked P&O UK and they are very strict regarding service dogs and comfort dogs are not allowed.

They are comfort service dogs and yes it has gotten out of control. A man was bitten by a comfort dog on a flight and

I believe the airlines have had enough, so I'll say changes are on the way. It also saves them $25 a day on a kennel!

Edited by IsanTom
Add more!

They are comfort service dogs and yes it has gotten out of control. A man was bitten by a comfort dog on a flight and

I believe the airlines have had enough, so I'll say changes are on the way. It also saves them $25 a day on a kennel!

Yes a point never mentioned regarding Kennelling costs.

gerif,

It was on a flight from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale on American about two months ago. I am handicapped and asked if the bulkhead row had any available seats, the check in person told me there was one but they couldn't give it out until we started boarding but she would put me on the will call list and I could have it, if no one else wanted it. I asked why was it being saved and she explained those seats are for people with service dogs. Because it has a large (I wouldn't exactly call it large) leg room area the dog can lay on a blanket on the floor without disturbing other people.

I got the seat, middle of the row, the window seat was a woman with about a 50 lb service dog. He was extremely well behaved but he took up her and my leg room. She actually sat with her feet and legs tucked under her so the dog would have more room.

In my opinion airlines, cruise lines, trains, hotels, etc. should require something from a doctor and there should be a requirement of documentation that a certified trainer has performed specific and specialized training that enables the animal to provide the assistance a doctor said was needed.

I actually work in an industry (my part time fun job) where we have people come in with service animals quite often. Some you can tell are legitimate, and some not so much...not to say that they aren't really for a service need as others have mentioned here (seizures, diabetes, emotional support/anxiety, etc). However, we have been trained and told not to inquire as to the reason for the need or a doctors letter. The fact is, the way this society has gotten, companies are so afraid of being sued for offending someone that might have a disability or issue of any kind. We don't even have to see the certification papers (which should require a doctors notice for receiving such certification).

Royal could cut down on this a bit by simply charging a fee - the posers are more likely to give up then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Highly unlikely. Think about it...these people would have to pay for a pet sitter or boarding kennel if they didn't bring their furry friend. So they would much more likely pay to have them on the ship with them. Quite honestly, I have two fur babies and I would happily pay to have them on the cruise with me as opposed to being at a kennel or home alone with an occasional pet sitter stopping in.

gerif,

It was on a flight from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale on American about two months ago. I am handicapped and asked if the bulkhead row had any available seats, the check in person told me there was one but they couldn't give it out until we started boarding but she would put me on the will call list and I could have it, if no one else wanted it. I asked why was it being saved and she explained those seats are for people with service dogs. Because it has a large (I wouldn't exactly call it large) leg room area the dog can lay on a blanket on the floor without disturbing other people.

I got the seat, middle of the row, the window seat was a woman with about a 50 lb service dog. He was extremely well behaved but he took up her and my leg room. She actually sat with her feet and legs tucked under her so the dog would have more room.

Ah, OK, I guess that makes sense for a large dog. Cats need to be in their carriers which need to fit under the seat. I specifically won't book a bulkhead seat for that reason.

A visit to a store that allows employees to snap at customers might be another place to visit too

LOL!! Yeah, you certainly don't want to take your pet alligator into a purse, suitcase store. He may get grouchy when

he finds some of his relatives. ;p

I actually work in an industry (my part time fun job) where we have people come in with service animals quite often. Some you can tell are legitimate, and some not so much...not to say that they aren't really for a service need as others have mentioned here (seizures, diabetes, emotional support/anxiety, etc). However, we have been trained and told not to inquire as to the reason for the need or a doctors letter. The fact is, the way this society has gotten, companies are so afraid of being sued for offending someone that might have a disability or issue of any kind. We don't even have to see the certification papers (which should require a doctors notice for receiving such certification).

Same for me. You can always tell an authentic service animal based on the animals behavior and it sucks for people who actually need them that so many people now seem to be "faking" it. We're not allowed to ask any anyways based off ADA compliances... but if the dog climbs up onto anything, we can tell the owner it must remain on the floor (and that's typically a good give away that it is a fake service animal. Since a real service dog wouldn't be climbing onto a bench or couch) ah... And the look we all gave the one time a woman came in with a service miniature horse!

But as far as service animals on a cruise goes. On a vision we saw a woman with a dog and on Harmony there were two or three but it was never invasive or obnoxious.