My time dining and gratuities

I am with you on this one and find it despicable that anyone would want to cheat the service staff in this cheap way. Added graduities go with the territory when cruising and are as much a part of the cost of a cruise as do all of the other elements that make up the final bill. Give them the money they have earned it.

I totally agree.

• 1 month later...
It isn't a hidden charge, since we all know about the charge and of course it subsidizes the wage bill. That is how it works for those employees who get paid with tips. I think the crew would let it be know if they were not receiving their share of the gratuities.

If you have an issue with how the crew get paid don't withhold your tips since that will only penalize the crew.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For sure, I have issues with staff getting paid.

I prefer to give tips directly to staff that have assisted me directly.

That way the cruise company cannot defer ---- to say my part is merely part of salary!!!

My DH had his better shaving creme lifted last day by a porter when that staff member thought our tip was less than should have been. He did not seem to realize our tip that day was meant to be augmented by the standard tip.

Bummer[emoji849].

Edited by Lady lilac

I would take it one step further, it should be legally mandatory for cruise lines to disclose the gratuities as part of the fare quoting process. If the cruise line is relying on the passenger explicitly paying for a significant portion of their labor expense as part of their business model, they shouldn't be allowed to hide these costs or pretend that they're optional when they're really not.

So true!

What's really going on?

Are we paying salary alone or is the Cruise line paying part of it as well???

Cruise lines say they pay a part, but how do we really know if this is true?

We deserve to have an answer to know if this is slavery or lesser paid salary.

My DH had his better shaving creme lifted last day by a porter when that staff member thought our tip was less than should have been. He did not seem to realize our tip that day was meant to be augmented by the standard tip.

Bummer[emoji849].

A porter stole shaving cream? Maybe it is just me, but that is a confusing remark that just begs the question of where and how did the theft occur? :confused::confused:

And if you are tipping in cash....did you mean your room steward? It is possible that there was a misunderstanding, which does not excuse theft.

It never ceases to amaze me that every single day I have to endure another gratuity thread complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No you don't, you needn't read or post you are not obligated at all.

It is a subject that affects all cruisers so they are all going to have plenty of posts.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I don't mind tipping for good service. I suspect that the automatic tipping is a hidden charge for the customers who already paid to go on the cruise to subsidise the company's wage bill. Also if staff are chastised for receiving cash, why do all the posts advocate tipping over and above the automatic gratuities for good service? I am not trying to get out of tipping, I would like to be convinced that the automatic charge actually gets passed on to the crew??

If you're not convinced of this already then the logical pgression is that you believe RCI is a company that lies to its customers and steals from its staff. Why would you do business with such a company?

For sure, I have issues with staff getting paid.

I prefer to give tips directly to staff that have assisted me directly.

That way the cruise company cannot defer ---- to say my part is merely part of salary!!!

Bummer[emoji849].

You have got to be kidding if you believe that one

I would take it one step further, it should be legally mandatory for cruise lines to disclose the gratuities as part of the fare quoting process. If the cruise line is relying on the passenger explicitly paying for a significant portion of their labor expense as part of their business model, they shouldn't be allowed to hide these costs or pretend that they're optional when they're really not.

Then should not the price with tip be quoted on menus in restaurants and bars?

Those workers also make a substantial part of their income from tips.

Why don't they just pay them more?? I find it ridiculous that we don't have to pay the gratuities and get slammed for where, of the just put the price of the fare up by £75, then I wouldn't feel like I'm getting slammed for doing something I rightfully can do.

You can ask the same question of restaurants and bars in many countries.

But if one line adds them to the price, but another line doesn't, most people will think the second line is cheaper.

In the US, one airline used to do this, they quoted fares in advertising that did not include taxes, airport fees, etc. So people thought they were much cheaper than the other airlines, when many times they were actually more expensive. It took a LAW to get them to change.

Tip consolidation is common. At many restaurants, the tips you give to the server are shared with the busboys, kitchen staff, etc.

They may pool all tips (like RCCL), or the server will be required to pay X amount or % into the tip pool for the others.

I leave them on, because that's how the system works for them to get paid, but I am a strong (very strong) advocate of workers being paid a regular wage and tipping being abolished.

I hear a lot of people say service people will work better/harder with tips involved because they want to earn a higher one, and its a statement that makes sense and maybe even is true sometimes. However, traveling to several Asian countries where tipping is not customary (and even offensive in some) I learned otherwise. I've had consistently better to equal service than I get in the US the majority of the time, and it doesn't cost me 15% extra (now 20% these days, how long until 25%?).

I suspect that in reality, the vast majority of people tip the exact same no mater the service, so workers don't bother going the extra mile most of the time.

I leave them on, because that's how the system works for them to get paid, but I am a strong (very strong) advocate of workers being paid a regular wage and tipping being abolished.

I hear a lot of people say service people will work better/harder with tips involved because they want to earn a higher one, and its a statement that makes sense and maybe even is true sometimes. However, traveling to several Asian countries where tipping is not customary (and even offensive in some) I learned otherwise. I've had consistently better to equal service than I get in the US the majority of the time, and it doesn't cost me 15% extra (now 20% these days, how long until 25%?).

I suspect that in reality, the vast majority of people tip the exact same no mater the service, so workers don't bother going the extra mile most of the time.

There is a lot of truth in what you say.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Agree across the board. I remember in high school, was working as a waiter, and the min wage was 3.35 I believe, but due to 60%, I got like 1.65/hour. It seems shady business practice (even though it is accepted due to being around the US for so long), but advertising (on a menu, or in this case the cost of the cruise) a price, only to expect a large gratuity on top should not be allowed. Since I used to be a waiter (and know how little they get), I do tip for good service, but do not give near as much for crappy service. For a cruise, while it may seem high as a whole for the week (especially with us having 4 in our room this time due to our 2 teenage sons), I would not remove the grats, without a very good reason. I see each working very hard for long hours. I don't care what they make vs what they would make back home, as I don't live there.

The way I look at it is if I went out to bfast, lunch and dinner all in one day here in NY, combined would be alot more than $13.50/day in tips and that's just dining out that doesn't include the service of someone who cleans your room twice a day. As far as i'm concerned i'm ahead of the game in terms of tipping with the auto grat in place as opposed to tipping people individually.

The way I look at it is if I went out to bfast, lunch and dinner all in one day here in NY, combined would be alot more than $13.50/day in tips and that's just dining out that doesn't include the service of someone who cleans your room twice a day. As far as i'm concerned i'm ahead of the game in terms of tipping with the auto grat in place as opposed to tipping people individually.

(y)(y)(y)

• 1 year later...

Can someone help me please. I am so confused. I have booked to go on a Royal Carribean cruise and opted for My Time dining. The documentation sent to me by RCL states under SERVICE CHARGE states that "service charge for dining attendanrs and stateroom attendants are included in your voyage fare" My TA informed me thst in spite of this being factored into my cruise fare my partner and i will still have to pay a mandatory gratuity of USD 14.50 pp per day for the whole 26 days of the cruise. This will automatically be added to my seapass account dail I usually prefer to tip waiters and room attendants myself but will accept the extra cost factored into my cruisefare and still give them a little extra individually but to gave to also pay the mandatory gratuity is very objectionable. For tjose of you who have been affected by RCLs new gratuity policy and have experienced this please advise me as to whether i can ask for this to be reimbursed before i disembark or will i be left with no choice but to pay it. In previous cruises i could ask for the daily grats notbto be added but i cant now according to my TA.

Adding an extra few hundred USD to my fare is not funny when i could be giving it to individuals whom i choose to

Can someone help me please. I am so confused. I have booked to go on a Royal Carribean cruise and opted for My Time dining. The documentation sent to me by RCL states under SERVICE CHARGE states that "service charge for dining attendanrs and stateroom attendants are included in your voyage fare" My TA informed me thst in spite of this being factored into my cruise fare my partner and i will still have to pay a mandatory gratuity of USD 14.50 pp per day for the whole 26 days of the cruise. This will automatically be added to my seapass account dail I usually prefer to tip waiters and room attendants myself but will accept the extra cost factored into my cruisefare and still give them a little extra individually but to gave to also pay the mandatory gratuity is very objectionable. For tjose of you who have been affected by RCLs new gratuity policy and have experienced this please advise me as to whether i can ask for this to be reimbursed before i disembark or will i be left with no choice but to pay it. In previous cruises i could ask for the daily grats notbto be added but i cant now according to my TA.

Adding an extra few hundred USD to my fare is not funny when i could be giving it to individuals whom i choose to

The automatic gratuity is added to your onboard account daily. If you would like to discontinue the automatic gratuity, go to Guest Services after you board and opt out.