concierge embarkation lunch?

39august

I suspect if Celerity provided Concierge guests with just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich which was unavailable to everyone else, there would still be people raving about how fabulous it is to eat this wonderful peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This is human nature. The fact is, during every other cruise day there is a better lunch in the dinning room that all can attend, and on embarkation day, the lunch in the buffet has a much wider selection than this lunch. But if you feel you must "get your money's worth" for what you paid for (my wife falls into that group) by all means, the Concierge lunch is for you.

One thing that my wife did NOT like about this lunch is the fact that they made you deposit your carry-on luggage at the front of the dining room, well out-of-sight of your table. You are on a secure ship and we didn't have any problems, but I can see a very remote chance you could have something stolen.

Why is it that people like you feel the compulsion to belittle and mock the choices of others? Are you that insecure? Is your life so devoid of happiness that it makes you feel better about the misery you call a life? If so have at it, it won't make me question my decisions and it certainly won't affect the enjoyment I will experience because of my decisions. Hopefully one day a little sunshine will fall upon you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank goodness everyone has different tastes. We'd be boring if we all liked the same things! There's always many choices on board, which vary from time to time. I feel blessed to be able to sail on Celebrity and experience the ones that call out to me. There's no need to belittle someone who chooses differently.

Why is it that people like you feel the compulsion to belittle and mock the choices of others? Are you that insecure? Is your life so devoid of happiness that it makes you feel better about the misery you call a life? If so have at it, it won't make me question my decisions and it certainly won't affect the enjoyment I will experience because of my decisions. Hopefully one day a little sunshine will fall upon you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like:p

I suspect if Celerity provided Concierge guests with just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich which was unavailable to everyone else, there would still be people raving about how fabulous it is to eat this wonderful peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This is human nature. The fact is, during every other cruise day there is a better lunch in the dinning room that all can attend, and on embarkation day, the lunch in the buffet has a much wider selection than this lunch. But if you feel you must "get your money's worth" for what you paid for (my wife falls into that group) by all means, the Concierge lunch is for you.

One thing that my wife did NOT like about this lunch is the fact that they made you deposit your carry-on luggage at the front of the dining room, well out-of-sight of your table. You are on a secure ship and we didn't have any problems, but I can see a very remote chance you could have something stolen.

I strongly disagree....I would not eat p&b at home and I would not eat it in the MDR or the buffet. The reason I like the embarkation lunch in the MDR is NOT because I paid for it, but because I do not like walking around with a drink in one hand and a plate full of food in the other, trying to find a table to sit down and eat at. Before the CC lunch, I was pushed, shoved, raced to a table and had my plate knocked out of my hand....sitting at a table with lunch brought to me is simply more comfortable IMHO. Also never had a problem with my luggage in MDR...but where do you leave your luggage when dining at the buffet?

I think the point that is being made is that when people are invited to an event, they tend to feel special. There may not be much value to the event but you tend to feel important. Another example is visiting the helipad for sailaways. On some ships, anyone can just walk to that area. Nothing special. However, if you are invited to go there, it is perceived as something special and people go on and on talking about how they were chosen, etc. A great loyalty and marketing tool.

I strongly disagree....I would not eat p&b at home and I would not eat it in the MDR or the buffet. The reason I like the embarkation lunch in the MDR is NOT because I paid for it, but because I do not like walking around with a drink in one hand and a plate full of food in the other, trying to find a table to sit down and eat at. Before the CC lunch, I was pushed, shoved, raced to a table and had my plate knocked out of my hand....sitting at a table with lunch brought to me is simply more comfortable IMHO. Also never had a problem with my luggage in MDR...but where do you leave your luggage when dining at the buffet?

Usually luggage at the buffet is resting next to where you sit. MDR you have to leave it in a pile of other luggage. I know my dad was really nervous as he had a lot of Euro in his backpack they forced him to set down out of sight. So I get how people don't like that aspect, and I also understand why celebrity implements it.

whatever will bewilder me

Allergic to peanuts so I'd go to Oceanview. Special becomes normal when you are always treated special as I am on Celebrity.

Whether you like the Concierge Welcome Lunch or not, I think depends on your personal cruising style and taste. My hubby doesn't care for the MDR and did not like this lunch. They offered only lamb or salmon, neither of which appealed to him. He left hungry and annoyed. I kind of like the MDR, had the lamb and thought it was fine.

All that said, it does work just like an MDR dinner. You will be there a couple of hours. If you want to get to the pool and get your party on, this lunch is probably not for you. If you like to mingle and enjoy a meal with newly minted friends, you'll probably really enjoy the lunch irrespective of what's on the menu.

I've been to the luncheon twice. Both times I was told to put my bag to the side when I came in. Both times I refused and put my bag under the table. A little tight, but I wasn't going to let my valuables out of my sight.

We had a lovely quiet lunch. DH didn't like either entree & asked for 2 salads with chicken. No problem, came right out with them. Dessert was great (chocolate bombe)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was really looking forward to having the lamb (my favorite!) on my recent cruise on the Summit, but it seems that they change the menu, because we were offered chicken with fries, salmon, and a vegetarian pasta dish as entrees. The starters were caesar salad or tomato bisque, the desserts consisted of chocolate cake or apple pie. It was all rather underwhelming, and I hoped that the "real" meals would be an improvement (they were).

• 2 weeks later...

Menu from CC Embarkation Lunch on Solstice (Alaska itinerary) from June 2017:

Starters:

• Butternut Squash Soup - Crispy Sage, Creme Fraiche
  • Caesar Salad - Shaved Romaine, Romano Cheese, Creamy Dressing

Entrees:

• Roast Salmon - Sauteed Spinach, Fingerling Mashed Potato, Caper Vinaigrette
  • Moroccan Braised Short Ribs - Sultana Couscous, Toasted Almonds, Cinnamon Charred Carrots
  • Grilled Chicken Paillard - Arugula, Oven Dried Grape Tomato, Shallot Vinaigrette, French Fries
  • Whole Wheat Penne Pasta - Braised Tomatoes, Leeks, Asparagus, Herb Ricotta Crostini

Desserts:

• Chocolate Cake - Layers of Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Fudge
  • Warm Apple Pie - Vanilla Bean Gelato, Candied Walnuts

I hadn't seen the short ribs mentioned as an entree option in any of the previous posts, but that's what I had and they were excellent.

Menu from CC Embarkation Lunch on Solstice (Alaska itinerary) from June 2017:

Starters:

• Butternut Squash Soup - Crispy Sage, Creme Fraiche
  • Caesar Salad - Shaved Romaine, Romano Cheese, Creamy Dressing

Entrees:

• Roast Salmon - Sauteed Spinach, Fingerling Mashed Potato, Caper Vinaigrette
  • Moroccan Braised Short Ribs - Sultana Couscous, Toasted Almonds, Cinnamon Charred Carrots
  • Grilled Chicken Paillard - Arugula, Oven Dried Grape Tomato, Shallot Vinaigrette, French Fries
  • Whole Wheat Penne Pasta - Braised Tomatoes, Leeks, Asparagus, Herb Ricotta Crostini

Desserts:

• Chocolate Cake - Layers of Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Fudge
  • Warm Apple Pie - Vanilla Bean Gelato, Candied Walnuts

I hadn't seen the short ribs mentioned as an entree option in any of the previous posts, but that's what I had and they were excellent.

So happy to see Dulce de Leche still on the menu.....that is the BEST chocolate cake E.V.E.R.!! I can personally attest to the whole wheat penne and the squash soup...both were delish.

So happy to see Dulce de Leche still on the menu.....that is the BEST chocolate cake E.V.E.R.!!

I think it's the same as the everyday chocolate cake in the MDR, so you have plenty of opportunities to indulge. ;)

We are booked in Concierge Class, but our kids are in a standard cabin. Anyone know whether they'd be able to join us for this lunch?

Because of the time it takes to get a response if you phone Celebrity to ask a question, I would probably just bring the children along to the lunch anyway. The MDR staff can hardly turn kids away from a meal if they are with their parents. I am sure they wouldn't turn you away. I think they would seat your children as well and that they would be able to have the lunch with no problem. We have always found the staff to be quite flexible.

Concierge lunch? It is a nice quiet place to sit and relax while you wait for the cabins to be ready. The menu is limited. I prefer the embarkation buffet or pool grill. Unfortunately, the buffet area is often very crowded. Finding a table can be awful. I try to embark after 1pm when the crowd has left the buffet area. I have also dined at Bistro (now Sushi) on 5.

Had lunch in the MDR in April on the Silhouette, first transatlantic. It was great to be seated, select dining, at a table for two and just take in the first day on this beautiful ship. The lunch was very good and even though the choices were limited, it was much better than dragging our carry on around the ocean view buffet trying to find a seat and balancing a plate. Go for the lunch in the MDR, it's worth the little extra money concierge class cost. Doing it again, twice in the coming year! Enjoy!:cool:

Because of the time it takes to get a response if you phone Celebrity to ask a question, I would probably just bring the children along to the lunch anyway. The MDR staff can hardly turn kids away from a meal if they are with their parents. I am sure they wouldn't turn you away. I think they would seat your children as well and that they would be able to have the lunch with no problem.

Ages of the "kids" are not given.

Out "kids" are 47 and 40 years old.

Would they allow kids of that age but not Concierge Class in as readily as kids who are teenagers?

We are booked in Concierge Class, but our kids are in a standard cabin. Anyone know whether they'd be able to join us for this lunch?
I'm going to play devil's advocate... If your kids are minors, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to eat at the Concierge's lunch if not in a Concierge Class cabin, but if they are not minors, they should not be allowed. What if many who cruised in Concierge Class brought their friends/relativies to the lunch, well, it sure wouldn't be that special to those that paid for the priviledge by booking a Concierge Class cabin.
  • Like 1