princess playing games with sip and sail promotion

tommy47

The sip and sail deal is not for all sailing. We are booked to Hawaii on March 2018 when I called to add the sip and sail I was told it is not for this sailing. So the Hawaii sailing has NO promotions at all at this time. Prices didn't change. We received free updates that no longer exist plus no drinking package also deposits is none refundable.

I booked a March 2018 cruise under Sip & Sail. However, I booked it under Sip & Sail last year. Unfortunately, you're a year too late.

The current Sip & Sail promotion is for Summer 2018 through Spring 2019.

Colo Cruiser wrote: "Of course it's no deal. I have said this all along. Nothing is for free..."

Agree! I amazed how many people think "free shipping" is free when one is just paying for it in the pricing. After all, $100 with "free shipping" is the same as $80 plus $20 shipping.

Gotta say that it's free to me, because I added a Sip & Sail to my existing cruise at no additional charge. Has Princess already baked a nice margin in my cruise fare (and therefore could afford to offer this perk with no significant impact to their bottom line)? Sure, but without the S&S I would have my originally priced cabin, and be paying an additional charge for my glass of wine. Yay S&S.

It may seem that way based on certain cruises, but that isn't really what happens. The prices for every cruise are adjusted regularly based on how well THAT cruise is selling. Then 'sales' are announced which sometimes only apply to cruises that aren't selling well but sometimes apply to all cruises in a give time period or area of the world. Therefore sometimes a poor-selling cruise will have a price cut plus a sale. Other times a good-selling cruise will have a price hike coincidental with a new sale being announced, or will be carved out as 'not applicable' for the sale. But it is definitely not true [based on my observation of prices on cruises I am interested in or have booked] that 'all cruise lines' raise prices when they add perks.

This has been my experience. I check the price history with an online website. I'm currently booked on two cruises. One is an 8 day ABC island cruise in May 2018 and the other is a 10 day Reposition cruise in Nov 2018. I booked the 8 day during the Red White and Blue $1 deposit sale. Now that cruise has the Sip and Sail included however the price jumped up to the original price at launch. So in my opinion even thought the price went up from what I paid it really didn't go higher than the original price. If I had booked a balcony I would have called to see if I could have the sip and sail added. However I over paid even with the sale for an obstructed ocean view. When I booked, I booked with the expectation of the price for that category to drop. In the mean time Sip and Sail started. That's when I booked the 10 cruise. Since it leaves from NY I am able to save on airfare and booked the least expensive balcony on the Regal. As it turns out I booked one of the few forward deluxe balconies. In addition to the sip and sail I also received a new launch savings offer so I booked for less than the original price. The 10 day cruise is actually costing me $2 less per day than the 8 day cruise and that's not factoring in the sip and sail. So while some itineraries jump in price I think it has more to do with surge of bookings once the promotion starts.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Gotta say that it's free to me, because I added a Sip & Sail to my existing cruise at no additional charge. Has Princess already baked a nice margin in my cruise fare (and therefore could afford to offer this perk with no significant impact to their bottom line)? Sure, but without the S&S I would have my originally priced cabin, and be paying an additional charge for my glass of wine. Yay S&S.

My experience as well. However I don't value the S&S at $57 a day. I can easily average $25 a day between soft drinks, water and cocktails. On a 10 day cruise that's $250pp. The cruise only has 3 ports of call so there are a lot of sea days. I will probably average $35 a day. I also value the convenience of not having to shlep bottles of water and wine to port.

The increasing complexity of price analysis of cruises (all lines) has turned us off cruising (amongst many other reasons). Have not cruised in 2.5 years, despite having cruised since 1989.

We are interested in only a price for the cruise. Not interested in drink packages, OBC or any other "free" gimicks.

Not everyone is chomping at the bit to cruise.....

This has been my experience. I check the price history with an online website. I'm currently booked on two cruises. One is an 8 day ABC island cruise in May 2018 and the other is a 10 day Reposition cruise in Nov 2018. I booked the 8 day during the Red White and Blue $1 deposit sale. Now that cruise has the Sip and Sail included however the price jumped up to the original price at launch. So in my opinion even thought the price went up from what I paid it really didn't go higher than the original price. If I had booked a balcony I would have called to see if I could have the sip and sail added. However I over paid even with the sale for an obstructed ocean view. When I booked, I booked with the expectation of the price for that category to drop. In the mean time Sip and Sail started. That's when I booked the 10 cruise. Since it leaves from NY I am able to save on airfare and booked the least expensive balcony on the Regal. As it turns out I booked one of the few forward deluxe balconies. In addition to the sip and sail I also received a new launch savings offer so I booked for less than the original price. The 10 day cruise is actually costing me $2 less per day than the 8 day cruise and that's not factoring in the sip and sail. So while some itineraries jump in price I think it has more to do with surge of bookings once the promotion starts.

lamcruzin: That's exactly the cruise I'm looking at...10-day repo. I just don't think I can pull the trigger on these prices. There's a big online agency that's currently having a sale & I can get $500 obc & even w/that it's too high, based on what that sailing typically goes for.

The increasing complexity of price analysis of cruises (all lines) has turned us off cruising (amongst many other reasons). Have not cruised in 2.5 years, despite having cruised since 1989.

We are interested in only a price for the cruise. Not interested in drink packages, OBC or any other "free" gimicks.

I have to agree to a point. My 10 day cruise is costing me $135 pp a day For room, meals and alcohol. In today's economy I don't know where I can vacation for less than that. I think we are all just spoiled by the $50-$100 a day fares that were so prevalent among all lines during the declining economic times 10 years ago.

lamcruzin: That's exactly the cruise I'm looking at...10-day repo. I just don't think I can pull the trigger on these prices. There's a big online agency that's currently having a sale & I can get $500 obc & even w/that it's too high, based on what that sailing typically goes for.

I did the reverse repo, San Juan to NY on both Princess and Celebrity a few times. I don't think that I will ever see those prices again, I always looking for last minute deals for Canada and New England as well Royal or Celebrity sailing from Cape Liberty. I just don't find any better prices after final payment on any of them. The Anthem is just about sold out for next year in May in the categories that I could afford. I paid $1325 for the 10 days in a deluxe obstructed balcony on the Regal and $1074 for the 8 day in an obstructed ocean view on the Caribbean Princess (no Sip and Sail) The $500 OBC sounds nice but I'm sure it's more like $50 to $100 for my category if it's even that much.

I did the reverse repo, San Juan to NY on both Princess and Celebrity a few times. I don't think that I will ever see those prices again, I always looking for last minute deals for Canada and New England as well Royal or Celebrity sailing from Cape Liberty. I just don't find any better prices after final payment on any of them. The Anthem is just about sold out for next year in May in the categories that I could afford. I paid $1325 for the 10 days in a deluxe obstructed balcony on the Regal and $1074 for the 8 day in an obstructed ocean view on the Caribbean Princess (no Sip and Sail) The $500 OBC sounds nice but I'm sure it's more like $50 to $100 for my category if it's even that much.

I don't know....seems there are always deals on the Princess repo after FP. I see them every year, but of course no S&S. FYI: this agency is giving $450 obc for every balcony on this cruise as far as I can tell. I got quotes for BE, BD, BF.

I don't know....seems there are always deals on the Princess repo after FP. I see them every year, but of course no S&S. FYI: this agency is giving $450 obc for every balcony on this cruise as far as I can tell. I got quotes for BE, BD, BF.

Do they charge for reservation change or cancellation fees?

Try Holland. You have the option of booking with or without the promos at a lesser price. I think you have to call and ask for the non-promo rate. My Personal Cruise Consultant will book at either rate depending upon my preferences.

We booked a month or so ago and are paying $999 pp for a deluxe obstructed balcony cabin plus taxes of course, for a 7 day on the Royal out of California. I was able to add Sip and Sail at no additional cost. $999 pp is a price we would expect to pay without a promo.

We are taking the OBC instead of the booze, so for a 7 day cruise we are getting $300 in lieu of .... with the additional OBC from TA and the FCD , $(450 total) not bad for 7 days.

In our case, we got a good deal.

However, I priced many other sailings for this promo, and there weren't too many great deals, IMHO.

I guess it is all about knowing your prices.

We booked that same sailing after the S&S started. We usually book inside aft (like aft, insides are "cheap"). The obst. balcony that we ended up booking is mid-aft and only cost $100pp more than the inside. We paid $949pp plus got $150pp in OBC. That OBC is paying for the change from inside to balcony. To me, that's a deal!!:D

OP: hop over to our roll call, we need you!!;)

We are booked on the 28 day TP from LA to Sydney in September of 2018. In the past we have opted for the OBC rather than the AIBP, but on this cruise the total OBC would only be $500 or less than $9/person/day. The AIBP is worth more than that for us so that's what we did and the cruise fare remained unchanged. We are also booked on a 7 day cruise and opted for the $300 OBC or more than $21/person/day with no increase in fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what the big deal is. I had a cruise booked on Royal Princess for Dec 2018. When the SipnSail came out, I looked and then called. Price did not change even a penny. Same price I already booked at, all by OBC intack, and got the SipnSail pkg attached.

This is the 3rd time we have had the SipnSail attached to a previously booked cruise with no change in price or OBC. Maybe we are just lucky????

We booked that same sailing after the S&S started. We usually book inside aft (like aft, insides are "cheap"). The obst. balcony that we ended up booking is mid-aft and only cost $100pp more than the inside. We paid $949pp plus got $150pp in OBC. That OBC is paying for the change from inside to balcony. To me, that's a deal!!:D

OP: hop over to our roll call, we need you!!;)

You got a great deal. I will head over to the roll call. [emoji2]

Update, just checked my paperwork and we got the cabin for $959

Woo hooo even better. [emoji322]

Just checked roll calls... we aren't on your sailing. We're on the Apr 6

One.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Not sure what the big deal is. I had a cruise booked on Royal Princess for Dec 2018. When the SipnSail came out, I looked and then called. Price did not change even a penny. Same price I already booked at, all by OBC intack, and got the SipnSail pkg attached.

This is the 3rd time we have had the SipnSail attached to a previously booked cruise with no change in price or OBC. Maybe we are just lucky????

Or maybe the cruise line had already included the S&S in the price of your cruise.

I booked our cruise in December 2016 for August 2018. I contacted my travel agent today and she was able to add the all-inclusive drink package to our existing reservation for both my husband and me. We did not have to cancel and re-book. The promotion also includes dinner for two at a specialty restaurant.

So, I am VERY happy because I might have purchased the package - I hadn't decided yet.

Judy

I booked our cruise in December 2016 for August 2018. I contacted my travel agent today and she was able to add the all-inclusive drink package to our existing reservation for both my husband and me. We did not have to cancel and re-book. The promotion also includes dinner for two at a specialty restaurant.

So, I am VERY happy because I might have purchased the package - I hadn't decided yet.

Judy

It certainly doesn't sound like your booking was originally priced to include the S&S as some are speculating.

It certainly doesn't sound like your booking was originally priced to include the S&S as some are speculating.

It's not speculation. The cruise lines know they will be running periodic promotions. They price the cost of these promotions into the fares before the promotions are announced.

It's not speculation. The cruise lines know they will be running periodic promotions. They price the cost of these promotions into the fares before the promotions are announced.

But what does that [if true] have to do with anyone's judgment about whether the price they pay with the amenities they get = a good value? You seem to be up on a high horse that makes it impossible for you to enjoy any cruise because the cruise line might actually be making a profit off it.

But what does that [if true] have to do with anyone's judgment about whether the price they pay with the amenities they get = a good value? You seem to be up on a high horse that makes it impossible for you to enjoy any cruise because the cruise line might actually be making a profit off it.

I would hope the cruise line is making a profit. That is a sign of smart business practices right. :cool:

I called to try and add S&S to my summer 2018 cruise. I wasn't sure if I could since my cabin was one of the few that did go up in price. I was told I could not add it unless I refared and that would have not been a good decision for me as the cabin had increased by $700 for the 2 of us. The "capacity controlled" fine print.

I was happy with the price I got when I first booked so I chose to stay with that. I feel I got a great deal even if I do not get any of the promotions added.

She did tell me that I should wait until the next promotion came out, that she thought I would be happy with it and would not have to refare to add it on.

I tried to get her to spill the beans but no luck. ;p

Even if Princess did factor in the cost of S&S and then let most people add it at no extra charge it is a win win. We feel great that we got it free. Princess knows if they do have to do price drops some will choose to stay with the S&S (or OBC) so they got the slightly higher fare. And some will ask to refare to the lower price knowing they lose their "free" package.

This is great business practices. Princess still makes a profit (and why shouldn't they? They are a business) and most of us feel we got a great deal.

I agree with you it is our assessment of what value we got for ourselves. Most of us will feel we got great value and live a happy life.

Those who constantly harp on being screwed well they must live a miserable life.

Not at all. I've argued many times that cruise line profits are a very good thing. Without profit, there would be no cruise lines, no new ships, and no cruises. And, as a CCL stockholder, I love profits. Nor, am I making a value judgement.

My point all along has been simply this, these promotions are not 'free'. Just because they do not appear on the invoice as a charge does not mean you are not paying for them. They are 'included', they are not 'free'.

Any student of marketing will tell you the best way to move product is to convince the customer he is getting something for 'free'.

You've probably noticed that specific cruise lines will have the same promotions at about the same time each year. The cruise lines know well before the cruises go on sale the kinds of promotions they will have to offer to move product. They factor this into the initial fares. This allows the cruise line to offer 'things for free', ie, promotions.

I do not believe that I'm sitting on a "high horse" when I say that passengers should evaluate each promotion on their own personal terms. Promotions vary to attract different customers. Some people love free internet. Those who don't like to pay gratuities, like it when gratuities are "included". Some love AIBP. Every customer needs to examine each promotion and determine for themselves whether it makes sense.

Edited by RocketMan275