princess playing games with sip and sail promotion

tommy47

We never get Sip and Sail here but Princess have found a new trick. I received an email titled "Thrice as Nice" today which indicated if you book an inside you get $200 OBC but a balcony and above is $600 OBC. When you click on the deal on the glossy cover page the promo instantly changes to "Twice as Nice" and the limit is $400. Even on the website the deal is listed as Twice as Nice.:o

Well, since it is time for the Sip-and-Sail promotion... then it is kind of a valid thread!!!

Maybe somebody was searching for info on this Promo, and hit reply without thinking that this one is from last year, and maybe start a new one.

Just checked again....

Our same cruise with Sip-and-Sail for next year - Balcony starts at $1049.

Right now, this same cruise, with the current Promo - no perks - $749.

So, Beverage Package, for 7 day cruise, for $300.00

It is now over $400. to purchase this package...

Not a big savings... but.

You gotta do the math, people!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

Well, since it is time for the Sip-and-Sail promotion... then it is kind of a valid thread!!!

Maybe somebody was searching for info on this Promo, and hit reply without thinking that this one is from last year, and maybe start a new one.

Just checked again....

Our same cruise with Sip-and-Sail for next year - Balcony starts at $1049.

Right now, this same cruise, with the current Promo - no perks - $749.

So, Beverage Package, for 7 day cruise, for $300.00

It is now over $400. to purchase this package...

Not a big savings... but.

You gotta do the math, people!!!

I’ve always said prices are higher during sns promotions. I don’t book during that time as all cabins are higher

Our last cruise in March I had booked a year and half in advance. The sip and sail was included in the price. The price only went up from there so I was happy with the promo we got. And in-fact, the price went way up with no sip and sail promo. We always have luck booking ahead.

Our last cruise in March I had booked a year and half in advance. The sip and sail was included in the price. The price only went up from there so I was happy with the promo we got. And in-fact, the price went way up with no sip and sail promo. We always have luck booking ahead.

We had a similar experience. One cruise only went up in price after Sip N Sail. The other one went down slightly (with no s and s) and we could have decided to re-book, but we decided to keep the sip N sale benefit.

I think the more 'rare' a cruise is (only 1 or 2 times to an area or a particular length of cruise), the more likely the price is to just go up after S &S. Some of the Caribbean and Mediterranean ones have more offerings, so might be more likely to go down. But.....if they go down....as long as it's refundable, you have the option to re-book....it allows you to make the decision later if a better deal or sale comes along....

I had a cruise hold in anticipation of the sip and sail. The morning of the sale the price was the same but it wouldn’t add the beverage package when I tried to book it on line. I called Princess, booked directly with them and she added the beverage package. So I am happy. The price has increased now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it’s not a deal but I like to have my cruise paid for. Booze is usually the biggest unknown. Peace of mind is worth something.

I agree! We like to have everything paid up front and S&S assures we can have our beverages without worrying about the bill. Our 15 day Hawaiian cruise bill was almost $9.00. Had some OBC too. We were happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try Holland. You have the option of booking with or without the promos at a lesser price. I think you have to call and ask for the non-promo rate. My Personal Cruise Consultant will book at either rate depending upon my preferences.

True, but HAL also employs this little 'gem' of marketing -

On the old website (no one has been able to figure out their new website ;)) past pax were encouraged to "Sign in for special pricing." What they didn't say was "special", in some cases, meant higher fares for past pax than for those who had never sailed with the line. :rolleyes:

They gamble most of their past pax (Mariner Society members) who would book directly online don't know how to delete cookies and clear their browser cache. Misleading and duplicitous? I will argue "Yes". Illegal? "No".

Never assume anything. Caveat emptor.

my wife and I have been on princess many times over the years. we have gone on the regal the last 2 years in January each time. I booked last month during the memorial day special another regal cruise for January again 2018. we really like this ship. I paid 1078.00 each before taxes- port charges for a bb category balcony that I could pick our room. I booked through a reputable agent and received a total of 275.00 back in total credit. now im looking at this firecracker sale which is good for cruises from the summer of 2018-2019. now if I would want to book another regal cruise for January of 2019 with the same type room it would be like 500.00 more each. I would get about the same back in credit as my 2018 booking but now I would get the free alchohol package for both of us. so the bottom line is your not getting any deal here. princess is trying to make this sound so good but most people don't realize your not getting a deal here. we also love celebrity and they have also been playing this game.

Not always true Tommy I booked a 15 day Panama cruise in May 2018 to set sail Nov. 2nd paid the advertised price a few weeks ago Princess started advertising there sip & sail promotion and after I called they added it on to my wife and my trip same fare

Wait. I paid a certain price yesterday without AIBP. Today I pay the same price and get AIBP. Did you miss the "same price" part? To quibble about whether it's "free" or not is really pedantic. More stuff for the same price makes that stuff free to me. And if you want to continue this discussion onboard, I'll buy you a drink -- provided you also have AIBP ;p

I give you 5 pts for use of "pedantic". Do you play Words with Friends? If so, I'd love to play you!

We had the same experience with the last Sip and Sail promo. We booked a 28 day and a 14 day and then watched as the prices (especially on the 28 day!) went up and up and up. Not so this time. Booked early but the promo wasn't available. Price went up by $1,200 for the same cabin. Sometimes it works out well and sometimes it doesn't. Of course the one that went way up for the promo is a "one time only" cruise in that it's only being offered once this year and is also the first time the cruise has ever been offered by Princess.

Last year I booked under the Sip and Sail for April 2019. To book the same cabin right now on the same cruise it is the same price, but does not include the sip and sail pkg. By booking over a year in advance I got my drink pkg for free. I have checked the price many times with many promotions and I am satisfied with my purchase as being the best deal I could have gotten. This year I booked for April 2020 and will do the same checking for the next 21 months

Not always true Tommy I booked a 15 day Panama cruise in May 2018 to set sail Nov. 2nd paid the advertised price a few weeks ago Princess started advertising there sip & sail promotion and after I called they added it on to my wife and my trip same fare

I booked the Sky 14 day 12/7/19 a couple of weeks before the sale at a good price and when the S&S sale started I was able to add the perk without a price increase. Sometimes luck matters.

Last year I booked under the Sip and Sail for April 2019. To book the same cabin right now on the same cruise it is the same price, but does not include the sip and sail pkg. By booking over a year in advance I got my drink pkg for free. I have checked the price many times with many promotions and I am satisfied with my purchase as being the best deal I could have gotten. This year I booked for April 2020 and will do the same checking for the next 21 months

It really depends on the cruise. During the last S&S we had the same experience you had. This time around one of our cruises went up dramatically. Some cruises stayed the same price but others went up. I usually book about 1.5 years out and watch as prices go up. Sometimes one gets lucky. Sometimes one doesn't. Our TA stayed the same price but we were booked in an OV so the S&S doesn't apply. We moved it to the Landmark Sale.

For those who booked just before the promo, and then called when it went online to get it added....

Did the price for the cruise stay the same, or because you called on THAT day, maybe the timing and things being in limbo, was your 'luck'????

Reading some of these posts you would think that Princess raises the cabin prices at around the same time that they offer this promotion,

I would say that this is a misconception, but it could happen selectively.

We booked our cabins months before the Ship and Sail was offered as a promotion. We were able to add the promotion without an increase in cost. Many others have reported the same experience.

Certainly cabin prices increase sometimes, but I would say it is not related to the promotion.

For those who booked just before the promo, and then called when it went online to get it added....

Did the price for the cruise stay the same, or because you called on THAT day, maybe the timing and things being in limbo, was your 'luck'????

We booked before S and S. I called and traded the Landmark Sale to the Sip and Sail about a week after it opened. The price went up $14 pp. Yup, Fourteen dollars. Cruising next May.

Same for us. Booked 8 months before Sip and Sail. Refared to Landamark and then since cruise price was unchanged refared with the 3 day special using the one TA offering to Sip and Sail, prepaid grats, and lower refundable OBC. So my opinion is that the specials do not affect the price of the cruise but the popularity and number of bookings for a particular cruise does affect the price.

Same for us. Booked 8 months before Sip and Sail. Refared to Landamark and then since cruise price was unchanged refared with the 3 day special using the one TA offering to Sip and Sail, prepaid grats, and lower refundable OBC. So my opinion is that the specials do not affect the price of the cruise but the popularity and number of bookings for a particular cruise does affect the price.

BINGO.

I guess no matter what experiences are reported, it is hard for some people to believe.

Do you think they give stuff away for free? All promotions have sailings where the price goes up to pay for the discount or promotion they are offering.

Theoretically the price does not go up just because of the promotion, but because the ship is selling well.

There have been a number of posts by people saying they got the promotion with no increase in price. And also a number of posts by people saying the price now with the promotion is significantly higher than when they booked without the promotion. However, I do not remember seeing any posts saying they checked the price within a few days before the start of the promotion and then saw it higher once the promotion started.

Princess wants people to book cruises early and encourage them not to wait for lower priced promotions that may never materialize. To maintain this "price integrity", they rarely have sales where the price of the cruise is significantly reduced. Instead they offer perks such as OBC or the beverage package to effectively reduce the total cost of the cruise, but not reducing the basic cruise pricing.

Yes, if necessary, there may be some great price reductions as embarkation day nears, but those bookings will have none of the perks.