Would you jump ship for this?

bogofman

It's standard rule...not just Royal. We had the exact same thing on Disney Magic when my 2 year old was in diapers. They had a splash area next to kiddy pool and she had to stick to that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Did you even read my post? As I mentioned, in my state (Colorado) babies are allowed in all public pools, as long as they are in a swim diaper. In fact, most public pools have them available for sale just in case a parent needs one. I guess the people who are so appalled that parents would take a kid in swim diapers to the pool must live in a place where that is not allowed...or just don't have children, or haven't had children since swim diapers were invented, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never encountered a ban on swim diapers until I had my youngest. My older 2 went into plenty of pools with them on. It isn't something I would have expected when my kids were younger.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We will be travelling with a 3 and 1.5 year old, we are aware that our toddler will not be able to use the pool unless she is toilet trained. We knew this prior to booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So because you read cruise critic, or because the person who posted before you shared the FAQ's, this means everyone does the same? I beg to differ, I think very few cruisers actually read forums such as these. That goes double for people who use travel agents; they aren't spending a lot of time researching online, since part of the purpose of using a travel agent is to save time and help with planning and explaining the rules and requirements of where you're going. I realize a lot of people on these forums also use travel agents, but I am talking about the general population.

When my daughter was a toddler, smart phones didn't even exist, the Internet existed but using forums and chat rooms and such was kind of a "quirky" thing to do, and I was certainly not an early adopter of such things. I didn't find cruise critic until a decade after my first cruise. I'm not even certain that all businesses even had websites at that time.

I get it that the information is out there, but people are making a lot of assumptions about the general population vacationer that doesn't apply to any of us on this board, since we all clearly like to research the heck out of everything. Not everyone does that. And assuming that a pool on a cruise ship is the same as the pool in our communities isn't that odd of a behavior. It's a pool.

But I digress...it's still a waste of a vacation to walk out on it over a pool.

I couldn't imagine taking a one year old on a cruise. It just doesn't seem like that there would be much on a cruise ship to entertain a child that age. Even if allowed to use the pool that still leaves a lot of hours left in the day and excursions would be a nightmare. I wouldn't have ended my trip tho and wasted all that money. At least maybe other parents with young kids still in diapers will see your post and be forewarned about the pool policy.

There are public pools, swim clubs and such that also don't allow it as it's a health issue. Most hotels have the same rules. Not being mean but unless you live under a rock or have never gone on a vaction you should know . I seriously just thought this was common knowledge. Plus no way I would lose out on vacation and punish the whole family for something a 1 yr old won't even remember.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

There are public pools, swim clubs and such that also don't allow it as it's a health issue. Most hotels have the same rules. Not being mean but unless you live under a rock or have never gone on a vaction you should know . I seriously just thought this was common knowledge. Plus no way I would lose out on vacation and punish the whole family for something a 1 yr old won't even remember.

This is simply not true.

Baby diapers that are waterproof so they don't absorb pool water.

They're diapers with almost no absorbency, they just catch any solids. Regular diapers just absorb a ton of water.

So that basically means they can pee in the pool? I don't have kids so I don't know these things

So that basically means they can pee in the pool? I don't have kids so I don't know these things

Mostly they are to contain the solid waste, but they are not 100% effective. USPH regulations do not allow them in deeper pools, just in very shallow splash type pools. These splash pools must also have extra sanitation processes too, like a UV light.

This thread just confirms my decision not to swim in the cruise ship pools that allow kids. Yuck. The kids' pool area was shut down for a little while on my last cruise, probably due to something disgusting. On a different note, I was impressed that my last RCL cruise had lifeguards at all of the pools.

It would take more than a rule I didn't like to make me ever want to walk away from my cruise vacation.

Maybe I'm a little OCD but I just cannot understand travelling overseas with a child that young and not having researched to the Nth degree. When we took our daughter on trips I knew which direction to turn from the hotel and how many steps to the nearest 24hour pharmacy. Assuming of course I didn't have what I needed in my bag of tricks [emoji12]

This thread just confirms my decision not to swim in the cruise ship pools that allow kids. Yuck. The kids' pool area was shut down for a little while on my last cruise, probably due to something disgusting. On a different note, I was impressed that my last RCL cruise had lifeguards at all of the pools.

It would take more than a rule I didn't like to make me ever want to walk away from my cruise vacation.

Adults pee in pools. I get this information from college males, but they technically count as adults. At the very least, they aren't babies, and they are allowed in adults only pools. I'd much rather swim in baby pee.

Adults pee in pools. I get this information from college males, but they technically count as adults. At the very least, they aren't babies, and they are allowed in adults only pools. I'd much rather swim in baby pee.

The solid waste is the health hazard.

I too have always believed urine is sterile and not a health hazard, but I recently read about a study done at the University of Alberta that states urine harbors nitrogen compounds - urea, ammonia, and amino acids - that can combine with pool disinfectants and form toxic compounds. They measured the equivalent of 8,000 gallons of urine in a 110,000 gallon pool and nearly 20,000 gallons of urine in a 220,000 pool. Their methods were described in "Environmental Science and Technology Letters."

We have always enjoyed pools on cruises (and hot tubs, which they say have an even higher percentage of urine), but since my husband's immune system is now deficient, we've decided to forgo the pool and the hot tub and find other ways to entertain ourselves. We have to take responsibility for our own health and safety, but we do not plan to give up cruising.

Margy

I too have always believed urine is sterile and not a health hazard, but I recently read about a study done at the University of Alberta that states urine harbors nitrogen compounds - urea, ammonia, and amino acids - that can combine with pool disinfectants and form toxic compounds. They measured the equivalent of 8,000 gallons of urine in a 110,000 gallon pool and nearly 20,000 gallons of urine in a 220,000 pool. Their methods were described in "Environmental Science and Technology Letters."

We have always enjoyed pools on cruises (and hot tubs, which they say have an even higher percentage of urine), but since my husband's immune system is now deficient, we've decided to forgo the pool and the hot tub and find other ways to entertain ourselves. We have to take responsibility for our own health and safety, but we do not plan to give up cruising.

Margy

20 gallons, not 20,000, in a 200,000 gallon pool. I don't know the exact size of cruise ship pools but I would guess 25,000 - 40,000 gallon water capacity, and the water is exchanged on a regular schedule. The same article estimates about 2 gallons per residential pool, which can go many years between complete water exchange.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/01/517785902/just-how-much-pee-is-in-that-pool

People keep saying things like this, but why is it weird that a parent would think it's ok for a kid in swim diapers to use the pool???!? Why else would swim diapers exist if not for putting kids who are in diapers in a pool?

I agree that the people who walked out on their cruise are Total idiots, but I don't think it's odd at all that many people (including myself) never gave a second thought to their kids being allowed in the pool. At our pools in our home state, kids and babies are allowed in public pools all the time, with the requirement that they be in a swim diaper. I get it now that doing so on a cruise ship is risky because if the swim diaper fails then the whole pool has to be drained which isn't easy in the middle of the ocean and would ruin the pool for the whole week, but all of you who are saying that parents should know better, or should be suspicious enough of the potential problem that they should have researched it beforehand is just as ridiculous as these people leaving the ship.

Maybe there needs to be a certification or test of parents/guardians prior to allowing them to bring their children to a pool.

I copied this from the internet, so it is true and factual ;). My guess from your statements is that parents buy the swim pants and well there you go, they have done their part.

I would agree with you that many parents would think that since swim pants are allowed by the operators of public pools, then everything is a 'go'. I would also bet there are some 'self serving' instructions on the swim diaper packages that parents don't read or ignore too. Will go read myself next time in a store selling them.

I also agree that adults pee in pools too and also fecal material can be released into pools and hot tubs by adults as they swim and sit/move around in hot tubs.

Do swim diapers hold diarrhea?

Even though swim diapers and swim pants might hold in some solid feces 1, they are not leak proof. Swim diapers can delay diarrhea-causing germs, like Cryptosporidium, from leaking into the water for a few minutes, but swim diapers do not keep these germs from contaminating the water 2.May 4, 2016

Margy

I saw that doozy too! 20,000 gallons! That's a crap load of pee! :eek:

And sadly, as a Canadian, some of my tax dollars went to pay for that study. A study of pee in pool water.:rolleyes: Pool water that has to be lowered or drained completly to close an outdoor pool in the winter. Because, you know, Canada is bloodly cold in the winter! :o My tax dollars went to pay for that.:(

No matter you can't stop people from not following the rules when they feel it's their cruise they'll do what they like. Last cruise we were on july 2015 a family kept putting their toddler in the hot tub with them. They would hand him back and forth like he was " swimming" . Plop him up and down , shake him all around for over an hour. Then they all got out and changed him. Diaper was full of water and you guessed it a nice laod of poo! We were sitting in loungers close by and the whole time i kept thinking God only knows whats in that to bigin with and you tip it off with a baby ....Oh Yay!! Someone will get in unsuspecting and later wwhen they get sick they'll blame it on something they ate in the buffet😂

No matter you can't stop people from not following the rules when they feel it's their cruise they'll do what they like. Last cruise we were on july 2015 a family kept putting their toddler in the hot tub with them. They would hand him back and forth like he was " swimming" . Plop him up and down , shake him all around for over an hour. Then they all got out and changed him. Diaper was full of water and you guessed it a nice laod of poo! We were sitting in loungers close by and the whole time i kept thinking God only knows whats in that to bigin with and you tip it off with a baby ....Oh Yay!! Someone will get in unsuspecting and later wwhen they get sick they'll blame it on something they ate in the buffet😂

Not only disgusting, but very dangerous.

Ok. So because you read cruise critic, or because the person who posted before you shared the FAQ's, this means everyone does the same? I beg to differ, I think very few cruisers actually read forums such as these. That goes double for people who use travel agents; they aren't spending a lot of time researching online, since part of the purpose of using a travel agent is to save time and help with planning and explaining the rules and requirements of where you're going. I realize a lot of people on these forums also use travel agents, but I am talking about the general population.

When my daughter was a toddler, smart phones didn't even exist, the Internet existed but using forums and chat rooms and such was kind of a "quirky" thing to do, and I was certainly not an early adopter of such things. I didn't find cruise critic until a decade after my first cruise. I'm not even certain that all businesses even had websites at that time.

I get it that the information is out there, but people are making a lot of assumptions about the general population vacationer that doesn't apply to any of us on this board, since we all clearly like to research the heck out of everything. Not everyone does that. And assuming that a pool on a cruise ship is the same as the pool in our communities isn't that odd of a behavior. It's a pool.

But I digress...it's still a waste of a vacation to walk out on it over a pool.

Good post.

Same as others have noted our local pools have allowed swim diapers. Been to resorts in Caribbean, North America, Mexico, Middle East, all allowed swim diapers. I still check before hand but like coloradogurl mentioned I'm another of those people who over plan. I can see how some might assume it'd be ok and I think RC could be more upfront or even proactive in sharing that info.

We did take our then 15 month old on Freedom in March and except for a patch of bad weather everybody generally had a good time.

And side note from experience imho people should be way more concerned about what some adults are doing in the pool than kids in swim diapers. It was very noticeable at some of the all inclusives we've been to where you'd have a group activity at the pool, people are drinking for hours and hours and some of them just never leave the pool to use the washroom. Ugh.

There may well be public swimming pools that allow these diapers. But things are different at sea. Any illness would spread so much quicker through a ship's environment.

Have you EVER seen a "washy washy" in a restaurant on land.... I haven't. same principle

I am not going to tell anyone how to parent, but if a person prepared to ruin 5 other vacations just because their 1 year old might throw a tantrum then this parent is going to have a horrible 20 years or so going forward.

There may well be public swimming pools that allow these diapers. But things are different at sea. Any illness would spread so much quicker through a ship's environment.

Have you EVER seen a "washy washy" in a restaurant on land.... I haven't. same principle

I am not going to tell anyone how to parent, but if a person prepared to ruin 5 other vacations just because their 1 year old might throw a tantrum then this parent is going to have a horrible 20 years or so going forward.

? If you are replying to me I was not debating whether it's needed or not. I read the whole thread before posting and I don't think I saw anyone suggesting it's not necessary.

And I think everyone, myself included now, has agreed that cancelling like that was an over reaction.

I am trying to remember now if an agent has ever told us up front that our little one could not use the pool. I think a NCL agent did that once but the RC agent this last time did not.

Do you have kids? LOL they remember! They remember plenty of things....and if it was a fun splash in a pool you bet they will remember and want to go and if the sibling is in the pool do you think a toddler is going to want to sit poolside to watch?

So does the kid will remember how stupid her parents are?

I saw that doozy too! 20,000 gallons! That's a crap load of pee! :eek:

And sadly, as a Canadian, some of my tax dollars went to pay for that study. A study of pee in pool water.:rolleyes: Pool water that has to be lowered or drained completly to close an outdoor pool in the winter. Because, you know, Canada is bloodly cold in the winter! :o My tax dollars went to pay for that.:(

Because of course Canadians don't bother with indoor pools. :rolleyes:

I take it you object to using public funds to collect data that may help in establishing good public health policy?