Would you jump ship for this?

bogofman

I am surprised they didn't just take the swim nappies off and other swimmer's beware... the infant couldn't be any worse than some of the adults.

How many adults are pooping in the pool? Swim diapers don't contain urine anyway, the rule is to protect others from fecal matter.

yeah but a 1 yo will have NO problem throwing a very loud and obnoxious temper tantrum when they see Big Sis in the pool and not be allowed to join in. and it would not be fair to Big Sis to not be allowed to go swimming just so that Little Sis doesn't find out she can't.

didn't somebody once say that across the pond its not that big a deal to use swim diapers in public pools? of course that does not excuse the parents form doing the research themselves and being proactive instead of passive and expecting that all the relevant information would be spoon fed. and who says the TA knows whether or not the younger one is potty trained?!

the family in the article cut off their nose to spite their face. they could have chosen a ship with a splash zone, brought a small blow up tub or done their swimming on the beach. (not that I condone spreading fecal matter into an ocean either)

On our first cruise my daughter was in swim diapers still and couldn't use the pool. I was pretty upset about it as well, since I didn't find out until we got on the ship. I used a travel agent who said nothing about it, and it never occurred to me to ask or research it since all of the public pools here at home allow swim diapers. I did understand the reasoning behind it though, and while I was incredibly disappointed (my child has been using the pool since she was 6 months old and it was the only fun thing on the ship for a 2 year old to do), I certainly never considered getting off the ship and going home. That's just ridiculous!!'

The experience of cruising with a toddler made me very aware of the many limitations on relaxation though, and when people ask if they should wait til their kids are older to cruise I always chime in with a YES! And we never did cruise again until my kid was 10 years old, and now we have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw a newborn baby without any bottoms on swimming in the Solarium Pool on the Harmony one time. And he was smoking a cigarette. The parents were nowhere to be found.

What Solarium Pool?

No way in hell would I jump ship and lost 5K pounds for lack of access to swimming pool. There are plenty of other things to keep a 1 year old entertained on the ship besides the pool, and if your kid can't live without swimming (what is she, a fish?!), I am sure there are beaches at the port of call that allow babies in swim diapers. Must be filthy rich to throw away money like that.

Edited by PCHENG

Chalk this one up to "I'm too stupid"....as in the parents were too stupid to think that it would be OK to allow an infant into a pool with what amounts to wearing a diaper. To add to the stupidity, they forfeited what looks like about $7,500 because they left a cruise over their own idiocy.

Honestly, as soon as I think some can't stoop any lower in their stupidity, I'm proven wrong.

What a stupid reason to throw $5,000 down the drain. Just keep your kid out of the pool, they are too young to remember the cruise anyway. On my last cruise I had a great time without going into any of the pools even once, pool time is not make or break for a good vacation—especially if it's a baby's pool time.

No! Might not book again if it was that important to me/family that child gets to swim in pool.

I too can also see taking a stand, which in most cases costs the person/family taking the stand. I would just be selective in where I draw the line. I have walked out of a restaurant once and have quit a job in taking a stand on principle.

Take a stand on what??? They are morons!...:rolleyes:

Threads like this always just bum me out. Plus they go on forever.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Especially when people keep posting only to comment on how long the go on...

To the OP: No, I would not have jumped ship. I can see how you thing RCI was less than forthcoming but you also dropped the ball. I can see not booking another cruise with them, but I would cost myself a couple of thousand dollars to prove a point...and you did just that.

No cruise line allows diapers in any pool. Some ships do have a "splash zone" for diapered kids...but not all! Yes...it is a well known fact on this site...and if you read your cruise lines info, you will find that information, as well!

The parent "could't face a week" of keeping the daughter out of the pool... I suppose these people let their children run the show, and frankly, there are only 2 about sea days on that sailing? How much time are you planning to spend in the pool?

I'm guessing the issue would be while the older child was in the pool. And they were equally unwilling to keep them both away from the pool decks the entire time. That would really limit your options.

I still wouldn't get off. I'd just plan on maybe more drinks. That was a very drastic response.

Save

Yeah, but there were 4 adults and 2 children. So couldn't one of the other adults either hang out with the baby or the older kid for a bit? Before DD was potty trained we just avoided walking around in the pool area. And this was a ship (Carnival) where the only way to get to the buffet area was either the aft elevators or walking through the pool area from the forward or mid ship elevators. We just made she that we went all the way to the aft elevators. If DH wanted to go to the pool, he did it without us around. I am not sure she even noticed there was a pool.

I saw a newborn baby without any bottoms on swimming in the Solarium Pool on the Harmony one time. And he was smoking a cigarette. The parents were nowhere to be found.

They were probably at guest services removing tips or something.

popcorn-fundraiser1.jpg

Might as well ......

For those of you who have been members here for too long. Remember Folgy, may he Rest In Peace, who posted the classic fecal teabag comment on a similar thread.

JC

Edited because Stupid Autocorrect

Edited by xpcdoojk

I can see how you thing RCI was less than forthcoming but you also dropped the ball. I can see not booking another cruise with them, but I would cost myself a couple of thousand dollars to prove a point...and you did just that.

This whole thing is about an RCI customer described in a news article - no one on CC, including the OP, has any direct involvement with this issue.

Biker, who may need more popcorn.