Christmas Market Cruise - Shoes to Wear

sarcar97

So we are from Texas. I'm one that will go without a coat during the winter while my partner gets cold easily. The cold does affect their feet. We are looking for winter coats and we do have hand warmers. So I'm reading we should probably come prepared with some boots that are waterproof as well as tennis shoes. They usually wear New Balance - but not the leather ones. We'll have to see if we can find a pair of leather ones that will give them the support they need. New Balance did recommend a pair of boots they have - but I didn't see that good of reviews on them - said they were very slippery in wet/snow. That would not be a good idea.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

Even better than 'waterproof leather' (which as we have seen isn't actually guaranteed not to leak) would be GoreTex. I have Merrill hiking shoes in both regular and GT -- same fit, same comfort, but no worries about rain with the GT pair.

New Balance does have some goretex options available, if that is a brand that typically fits you/your friends well. It used to work great for me but not so much the past 2 years :-(

(shopping hint - shoes categorized as "trail runners" are often waterproof. My foot prefers something styled as a hiking shoe over a trail runner but there are so many options out there now - you should be able to find something that fits your foot!!)

Did you have any trouble getting the warmers through security and did you pack them in checked luggage or did you carry them with you into the aircraft?

I put them in my checked suitcase. However, they shouldn't be a problem with TSA since they are not liquid. Each little pack has crystals inside that are activated when you open the outer envelope and shake them. I used warmers from HotHands (http://www.hothands.com). One pair per pack. They have foot warmers, toe warmers, etc.

I definitely recommend them for cold weather!

I've been having the same problem. On the last trip, I had liners, thin gloves, and woven or ski gloves, giving me three layers, but that still wasn't enough - even with walking around with my hands stuffed into the pockets of my down jacket much of the time! That's really the only think I need to change in my wardrobe the next time around (besides packing a LOT less in the way of clothing.)

I think you might want to buy some rechargeable battery heated gloves? There are even gloves that are battery heated that work with IPAD and IPhone touch screens like these:

https://www.amazon.com/BIAL-Battery-Motorcycle-Cycling-Thickening/dp/B01MQ5YXKT/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1499435243&sr=8-15&keywords=heated+gloves

or just regular heated gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Electric-Rechargeable-Temperature-Batteries/dp/B01M2DDGRR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499435243&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+gloves

I think you might want to buy some rechargeable battery heated gloves? There are even gloves that are battery heated that work with IPAD and IPhone touch screens like these:

https://www.amazon.com/BIAL-Battery-Motorcycle-Cycling-Thickening/dp/B01MQ5YXKT/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1499435243&sr=8-15&keywords=heated+gloves

or just regular heated gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Electric-Rechargeable-Temperature-Batteries/dp/B01M2DDGRR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499435243&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+gloves

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

New Balance does have some goretex options available, if that is a brand that typically fits you/your friends well. It used to work great for me but not so much the past 2 years :-(

(shopping hint - shoes categorized as "trail runners" are often waterproof. My foot prefers something styled as a hiking shoe over a trail runner but there are so many options out there now - you should be able to find something that fits your foot!!)

Thank you - we'll check out the trail runners and see what we can find. The New Balance tends to work better - but so far it's only one style that works.

I am still looking for a pair of gloves that truly keep my hands warm. I have all types in all materials and the best so far are ski gloves I purchased in a specialty store in Austria a few years ago when my own gloves just were not doing the trick. They work unless it is really cold. I even tried liners and they help a little but not enough.

I have Raynaud's syndrome, and the only thing that works for me any more is hand warmers inside mittens. Mittens aren't very practical for most things, unfortunately!

I have Raynaud's syndrome, and the only thing that works for me any more is hand warmers inside mittens. Mittens aren't very practical for most things, unfortunately!

Yep, same issue here. The thin gloves and liners I had under the heavier duty ones were iPhone/iPad friendly but I was constantly messing with my gloves when the top ones were too bulky, etc.

Just for laughs ... Hat, scarves (including big furry infinity scarf often up around my face), gloves, glove liners, down jacket, turtle neck, sweater, silk long johns, pants, socks, sock liners, more socks, fur-lined boots, etc. My husband often walked around with his hat pulled down and his scarf pulled up over his face so you could only see his eyes. :')

bundled%20up-10149_zpsi3kmizyj.jpg

Agree with Keen recommendation. I walked thru days of rain in Alaska and my feet stayed dry. Some Tennis shoes are iffy because soles become slippery on wet cobblestones, and strong likelihood of precipitation on this trip. Even some of my boots with good treads are slippery on wet surfaces. Investigate sox too. A brand we like is Smart Wool. Take at least 2 pair of shoes so one can dry out between wearing.

Wow... I certainly need to read more threads like this one. We are from San Diego and I have never heard of some of the products you all are mentioning. Do have a nice down coat and fleece tops, etc. but need to add some more cold weather gear.

Going on Christmas Markets cruise this December and have the worst problem finding shoes - even sneakers - since I have really wide feet and size 11 womens. It is very hard to find something that fits and has good support. Anyone have this problem?

Are the wool socks thick? Aren't wool socks itchy? I don't own wool of any kind... haha

Wow... I certainly need to read more threads like this one. We are from San Diego and I have never heard of some of the products you all are mentioning. Do have a nice down coat and fleece tops, etc. but need to add some more cold weather gear.

Going on Christmas Markets cruise this December and have the worst problem finding shoes - even sneakers - since I have really wide feet and size 11 womens. It is very hard to find something that fits and has good support. Anyone have this problem?

Are the wool socks thick? Aren't wool socks itchy? I don't own wool of any kind... haha

If you think the wool socks might be itchy you can get sock liners for underneath. The liners create a layer of air between the liner and the sock. Also, the Smartwool socks are not pure wool, but are a blend. They are very warm.

Costco has runner's gloves with textured fingertips so you can use phone and keep gloves on. They often get seasonal products in, even in warm weather states. Their Wool women's sox are great too- not at all itchy and wash and dry well. I have loads left from life in Midwest! Bundle up! Hah! Don't forget flannel pajamas!

Can you wear men's walking shoes? My feet aren't as large as yours (40 eur, 9 women's, but somewhat wide) but I've owned several pairs of men's shoes over the years. Not for "cute" shoes, but for walking & hiking, as long as it fits my foot & arch & gives me the support I need, why not? But also, thankfully internet shopping has opened up so many more opportunities for the hard to fit sizes!!!

Haha... Yes Hoyaheel... I have bought mens walking shoes in the past. Does not bother me at all... and now that I use an orthotic insert I would not have to worry about where the arch hits (sometimes in the wrong place).

Thanks all for the sock suggestions. We don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that we will get no further use of, but don't want to freeze either... and I found that my down coat comes in handy when we travel to British Columbia or even Seattle in cooler weather, so who knows? Maybe we would get more use from wool type of socks!

Yep, merino is a wonder fabric that can be worn in a much wider climate span than you might imagine! I live in NC and have a couple merino dresses that are great for travel - but they get a lot of wear at home as well :D Merino dries faster than cotton (I do a lot of sink laundry when I travel) and it doesn't tend to smell the way some performance fabrics can after time. Silk (I love knits!) is another fabric I invest in that's great for spanning different climates and travels well....

Honestly, I don't like to wear socks at all, but when I do - I also have smartwool options:hearteyes: [and yes, I can go a full year in NC without ever wearing socks - maybe tights in the winter with dresses for work but even then - I can still do a bare leg & foot except for the week each winter we get snow....Well, we're zone 6+ so we might have more than 1 week of freezing temps, but I'm pretty warm-blooded since I didn't grow up here]

Well we looked at the New Balance website and they have 3 options for winter boots for women and the same one in men's. They go both regular width and wide and up to a size 12 for women. We went to the store and ordered three pair. Two women's in size 11 and 12 and one men's in a size 11 for me (yes I have large feet - thank you to my grandfather. The nice thing about new balance stores (here anyway) you can try and wear them and if they don't work, return them - even if you wore them outside.

We also bought a REI pair of merino wool and a smartwool socks, so when the boots come in next week we can try them on with socks we'll be taking with us. We're going to see which pair of socks are most comfortable and use that as our test with New Balance.

My partner wears orthotics also, so we'll see what happens.

This has been an eye-opener for those of us who never experience the ultra cold weather. I rarely ware a coat in the winter, I hate shoes and socks - so this is going to be a different experience for us.

Sarcar97... I just did the same thing... ordered two different shoes and will see how it goes. We have a New Balance store nearby, so will check there if these don't work out. Good idea to get the socks to try with the shoes.

This has been an eye-opener for those of us who never experience the ultra cold weather. I rarely ware a coat in the winter, I hate shoes and socks - so this is going to be a different experience for us.

This is exactly how I felt last year! I have a hard time in general finding shoes that fit and are comfortable. I usually wear a 10.5 - when I can even find my size! I usually have good luck with Nordstrom, but lost count last year at the number of boots I ordered and returned! I ended up with Uggs and a pair of Dansko boots that I love and I sprayed both with waterproofing spray that worked great. (We had lots of big puddles and rain in Vienna.) I live pretty much in flip-flops and sandals year round other than when I work out.

If anyone has access to Alpaca socks/gloves, they are really warm. We tend to wear fleece gloves here in the winter (we average in the -20C's in Jan, often go even colder) and I wear hiking shoes if it's snowy, otherwise just get by with my running shoes. I guess it's something everyone finds different. DH gets cold feet so I got him some Alpaca socks, and he says they are great.

Another item to look for are boots that have felt linings. They are often waterproof, and the felt linings make them very warm. We used to get them for snowmobiling, but not sure if they still sell them.

I know what's comfy for one person may not work for the next but I bought these for wearing during our winter river cruise last December knowing it would be wet and maybe icy. They worked out fine, not the most attractive but with good wool socks they were nearly perfect.

https://www.rei.com/product/105903/merrell-coldpack-ice-winter-shoes-womens

Enjoy the Christmas markets! So magical.

I know what's comfy for one person may not work for the next but I bought these for wearing during our winter river cruise last December knowing it would be wet and maybe icy. They worked out fine, not the most attractive but with good wool socks they were nearly perfect.

https://www.rei.com/product/105903/merrell-coldpack-ice-winter-shoes-womens

Enjoy the Christmas markets! So magical.

They have them in men's too.

But darn no wide widths.

We went by and tried on the three pairs of boots at New Balance. There's two guys that have been there for years and they know us well. When one was helping us order the boots, he told us later that he thought there's no way these will have the support and what they need, but I'll order them and see what happens. He was so impressed with them when they came in. You should have seen him looking over them and told my partner that he thought, based on his knowledge of their feet that they indeed might work. He was afraid that the sole would not be good for walking on snow/water/cobblestone and that they would not have the padding they would need. But they have a real nice tread that would indeed be good for snow/water/wet cobblestone. I tried the men's first and they tried the 11 women's. The 11 women's worked perfect for them. So I decided to try the 12 women's and loved them. The men's were a heavier boot even though they looked the same on the inside and outside. So we brought them home and will be wearing them around the house to make sure they are good by the time we leave. But if you want to take a look - here's the link:

http://www.newbalance.com/women/shoes/boots-1/

They come in a short boot or a taller boot. We both bought the black ones.

We still plan on taking the tennis shoes that we know are comfortable along with the smartwool socks and the everyday socks so we have options.

Thanks for all the suggestions for everybody.