Missed Final Payment---New at this--What Happens now???

I wonder how that TA that only takes special people for clients and requires an upfront fee would have handled this?

Your TA should have given you a "heads up" about a week early about payment. However, final payment date would have been on your paper work so you are partly responsible. When you reserve it is a good idea to mark on the calendar when final payment is due.

Thank you Merion!!! I am so blessed to have found this site a few years ago!! This is the first cruise that I/we have booked that was over 90 days. My wife is a Nurse and did not know if her Vacation was approved until July 02---I was supposed to finalize July 03--100% my fault( Men) I posted here to learn what options I had before contacting the TA and or RCCL..

I now owe a debt of Gratitude to my TA--RCCL for honoring the original booking and of course ALL the Great responses from all of you--I have learned a $$$Real lesson and I hope my Thread has helped someone else. Thanks again!!

I would just like to say this, thank you for being the type of person who is willing to own up to their own mistakes in a public way. It takes a solid human being to do so, and it's not often seen. Kudos to you.

Glad it worked out, and enjoy your trip.

It the same with another bill, if you do not get a reminder for your car payment it is still due. It a shame they lost their money, but dam as adults you need to take responsibility for your own actions are in this case in action. If you get so drunk the night before departure and you missing boarding don't whine the cruise line kept your money.

The cruise line trusted the OP that in good faith they would pay for the passage. They therefore removed that cabin from their avaible marketable inventory. The OP failed to meet the previous agreeded arangement. So to recoup the lost of potential income they keep the deposit and offer to rebook at current rates. The cruise line did not breech the passanger did. So suck up count your loss and be responsible

The difference is that with other bills most people don't typically have someone acting as their agent to take care of pesty details. As for me, I avoid agents and do accept responsibility. My father raised me to depend on myself. So far it has worked well in life.

Perhaps not so obvious in all of this is that while the TA and even RCI may say the cruise has been cancelled, it takes several days for that to really happen and bookings can be resurrected for a while.

That is great news! I was hoping that would happen. I also forgot a final payment once and I called RCI the next day and they said no problem and took the final payment. Whew! I never forgot again!

I also book through Royal. In all the years I've been cruising, I have never gotten an email reminding me about an upcoming final payment. It would be nice if they would do this for everyone. I guess it is too much to ask.

It's a little more confusing now that they made the final payment 90 days out instead of the 60 days I've been used to all these years. I really have to be on my toes now. We have multiple cruises booked and it gets confusing for this old brain......Then some of our final payments are due while we are on a cruise. Then I pay them before we go on the cruise. Not sure if I could make a final payment on a cruise, so don't want to risk doing so.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because you paid before they would have sent one?

Unless a short cruise, it hasn't been 60 days in years

My TA requires final payment 2 weeks before the cruise line final payment date in case they run into problems with the booking or payment processing. The cruise line sends a final payment reminder to your TA and they are responsible for sending it to you. Look at your emails from the week or 2 weeks before again you may have over looked it

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Because you paid before they would have sent one?

Unless a short cruise, it hasn't been 60 days in years

No, we usually pay about a week ahead or sometimes a couple days ahead.

I thought the 90 day policy was just in the last year or two at the most. Unless it was because I had so many booked ahead that I booked them when it was in the 60 day range. They honored the shorter time as long as you booked it before the 90 days went into effect.

Still never had a reminder......I always seem to have trouble getting emails from them about anything, unless it is about a change to my reservation or sailing.

Gwen :)

I thought the 90 day policy was just in the last year or two at the most. Unless it was because I had so many booked ahead that I booked them when it was in the 60 day range.

As one poster mentioned, it was 60 days for short cruises and 75 for longer ones. Those moved to 75 and 90 respectively.

As one poster mentioned, it was 60 days for short cruises and 75 for longer ones. Those moved to 75 and 90 respectively.

Thanks, that is probably right. I thought it was only 60 days, even for longer cruises. We only book the 9-12 night cruises, so it was probably 75 days I was thinking of. I knew the 90 days was relatively new.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My father raised me to depend on myself. So far it has worked well in life.

Interesting...

My father raised me that when I am dealing in an area where I am inexperienced it is often wise to seek the assistance of a professional to make sure I don't overlook things and that I get the best possible deal for me and my family. Cruising would be one such area for me. So far it has worked well in life.

Interesting...

My father raised me that when I am dealing in an area where I am inexperienced it is often wise to seek the assistance of a professional to make sure I don't overlook things and that I get the best possible deal for me and my family. Cruising would be one such area for me. So far it has worked well in life.

And I agree with that as part of depending on yourself includes educating yourself on things that you are inexperienced about. Cruising is no longer one such area for me.

Thanks again Marci for understanding---Yes I have taken 18 cruises---but because of our schedules we book with just about 3 weeks from sailing. This was learning experience!!! I thought I was going to be out $250 for each -DW and myself. This is why I posted--I knew you guys would have the answers I need to obtain-Before contacting the TA. Thanks one and all!!! Hope to meet some of you--YOU ALL HELPED THANKS[/

Glad it worked out for you !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think sometimes too many people rely on TA to do things they can do themselves. Putting your faith in another company to act on your behalf.

I book everything myself. It just makes life easier to be in control.

True, but if you book with a TA, you expect a certain service. I don't think a reminder about final payment is too much to ask.

Not exactly the TAs fault because its still OPs responsibility to see that it gets paid, but I would expect that if I am using a TA and giving up control, I am going to get some sort of service from it.

I think a good TA would have been on top of it and at least sent an email about final payment. I have used a TA on 3 cruises and every single one of them, they told me when final payment would be due (which was about 1-2 weeks before cruiseline) AND that it would be charged to the card I used for the deposit unless I contacted them in advance and made other payment arrangements. I had to accept a bunch of terms and conditions and believe it was also in those. Of course I still checked to make sure the final payment had gone through, because that is me, a control freak, but I would have expected that if it did not, an email or call.

I mean, why use a TA if they are not going to do anything.

I think a good TA would have been on top of it and at least sent an email about final payment.

I mean, why use a TA if they are not going to do anything.

The OP said he got both an e-mail and phone call.

Sorry and Thanks--Yes I am the OP-----I was crazy busy at work!! OK it is MY fault--I did get an e-mail and a phone call--I did not recognize the # and let it go. MY Fault------I am so Grateful to the 67 responses... Here is the update

Got another call from TA -since we booked with 4 other couples AND cross referenced all four bookings-mine was the only one cancelled-BUT the TA and her company Pres put some pressure on RCCl--informed them of the July 4 Holiday and other factors. RCCL lived up to the original booking and I paid in full immediately. Thank You for all the responses-and debates. Cruise Critic is wonderful!!!

Good to hear that they took care of it for you. Sometimes life just happens. I am always on top of everything, but this month, with the 4th of July Holiday and making last minute plans, I completely forgot to add in my variable monthly bills in my bill pay. I remembered it on the 4th, being a holiday that meant nothing would post until the 6th. Cell phone bill and internet/satellite were due on the 4th. 11 years with this cell phone and never been late- until this month.

Sorry and Thanks--Yes I am the OP-----I was crazy busy at work!! OK it is MY fault--I did get an e-mail and a phone call--I did not recognize the # and let it go. MY Fault------I am so Grateful to the 67 responses... Here is the update

Got another call from TA -since we booked with 4 other couples AND cross referenced all four bookings-mine was the only one cancelled-BUT the TA and her company Pres put some pressure on RCCl--informed them of the July 4 Holiday and other factors. RCCL lived up to the original booking and I paid in full immediately. Thank You for all the responses-and debates. Cruise Critic is wonderful!!!

Very happy to hear this! Have a great cruise!

I was following this thread.

We sometimes book with a TA that is very well known for their sales and annoying website with lonnnnng pages;). They never send reminders for final payment....their documents say that the "card on file at the time of deposit, will be charged"...but guess what if the deposit is made from a future cruise certificate, there is no card on file. We always call them a couple of days before their final payment date (which is a week or 10 days before the cruiselines') to confirm that. Like others, I do agree that the TA should send some kind of reminder email that final payment is due.

Our other TA always sends a reminder email for final payment and for checking in on line.

When I have booked directly with Royal, they have always sent me reminder emails for final payment.

OP, your humility and honesty are commendable and refreshing! Enjoy your cruise.

Don't think so because we usually wait until the very day it is due (LOL)

That's been my experience as well, no reminders. though with all the promotional emails it's hard to forget you're going!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oddly enough, if you get to final payment date, and call RCL, they can extend your deadline. I've done it. But I also don't deal with a travel agent, so I don't know how that would work.

I have my paperwork here in front of me and I'm curious, under the cancellation schedule, it reads: 89 - 64 days prior to sailing, cancellation amount is $450 deposit amount per guest... if I were to cancel during that period, how would they collect that, as my TOTAL deposit was $150, when I booked onboard. Would they bill me??? Not that I plan on cancelling, I'm just curious.

As I posted earlier I just received 2 email reminders that my final payment is due July 18. Make certain they have your correct email address.

You are lucky to get emails. I have not recieved any for two years. They have my correct email address. Even tried a different one and still they can't manage to send me emails. Have also called to complain about not getting them and still no emails ever come from Royal Caribbean.

if I were to cancel during that period, how would they collect that, as my TOTAL deposit was $150, when I booked onboard. Would they bill me??? Not that I plan on cancelling, I'm just curious.

They assume you pay the whole amount due at 90 days and they would collect it out of that. Fairly soon after day 89 they would cancel your booking if you don't pay in full - as they did to the OP.