Booted Off The EDGE

Hawkstar33

There are airlines that now apologize for bumping passengers out of seats so the tide is turning on companies that take the passenger for granted. While I realize that this is not occuring on day of sailing as it is on day of flight, the indifference to the affect that this practice is having on paying passengers is humbling. Celebrity constantly cancels for charters. It might be better to reconsider the approach and open a particular date off market and to the charter partners only on a first first and let the charter partners take the risk to fill the ship or have a time period escape date when that sailing/back out comes back to open to the public if they can't fill it.

Not all airlines are apologizing.

dr-doa.jpg

. Celebrity constantly cancels for charters. t.

Actually, there are only 3 Celebrity charters between July and December of this year. I would not call that "constantly cancels for charters".

So I discovered who chartered the Edge for March 17th. The company is Continuing Education, Inc. Credits while you Cruise, it's a Medical continuing education cruise, sponsored by the American Medical Association for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy, Dentists, Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners...........so basically BIG PHARMA is hosting a wonderful week on the Edge. Here is the website with the info www dot continuingeducation dot net

I don't think they are chartering the whole ship. I have seen similar continuing education classes offered on previous cruises I have been on. They have the lectures on sea days, in one of the conference rooms onboard, and get assigned some "homework" to do on other days. They pay the fee, get some education, and some vacation time at the same time.

So I discovered who chartered the Edge for March 17th. The company is Continuing Education, Inc. Credits while you Cruise, it's a Medical continuing education cruise, sponsored by the American Medical Association for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy, Dentists, Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners...........so basically BIG PHARMA is hosting a wonderful week on the Edge. Here is the website with the info www dot continuingeducation dot net

And I am sure all the participants will be able to write off the entire cost on their taxes as it is continuing education that applies to their occupation.

No, it is not unfair. What is unfair is your country's policy regarding deposits. Further, knowing this ahead of time you risked making a reservation almost 2 years ahead of time! That most certainly is not Celebrity's fault, it's yours.

It isn't our country that imposes such issues but the way Celebrity treats each country differently. Our Govt couldn't care less about such things.

No, it is not unfair. What is unfair is your country's policy regarding deposits. Further, knowing this ahead of time you risked making a reservation almost 2 years ahead of time! That most certainly is not Celebrity's fault, it's yours.

You are totally 100% wrong Fishlover.

The policy is that laid down by Celebrity Cruises, nothing to do with the UK government, nor those governments of the other European and worldwide countries who also get treated worse than North America.

I notice you mainly refer to my booking almost 2 years ahead of time, and chose not to address my other points. Avoiding the uncomfortable issues you can't justify?

The issue is, firstly the cruise was pulled under the 12 month window at a time when pax will have booked air/hotel etc., secondly the extra costs I have incurred through no fault of my own, are substantial with no chance of recompense from Celebrity despite them being the cause.

You appear to be saying that, when Celebrity release new itineraries anything up to two years ahead of sail date, people should not book that early in case the cruise is cancelled - utter nonsense, do you see a warning anywhere on Celebrity Cruises website to that effect? No, of course not!

The arbitrary breaking of the contract between me and Celebrity as described in my earlier post IS clearly unfair to all except the most ardent cheerleaders.

I live in hope that the cruise line will do that to a group of pax from outside North America who subsequently decide to take the cruise line to court in the pax home country, for breach of contract and/or unfair contract terms. I am confident that the pax would win their case in Europe and most other countries. The problem for most of us as individuals is that costs of such action could be ruinous.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

We booked Edge for BTB in March 2019, months ago. We book together with another couple each year same time, with Celebrity. We are Elite, and our friends are getting close with 8 cruises, loyal to Celebrity. The Key word here is LOYAL, but seems to go only one way. Edge hasn't even been built yet, and we already have gotten booted for a charter. Sorry for the inconvenience, but somebody bought the whole boat, so you have to change your plans. I guess this is not the first time. I assume I would be wasting my time by saying this is a very unfair practice. No matter if you are a first timer, or Elite, or whatever you may be. Luckily we were able to adjust our plans. They also offered some OBC. Nonetheless, Loyalty should go both ways. They didn't have to charter out the ship. It would've booked full for sure. First come first served.

Unless you are a Suite guest, I think you should consider yourself lucky. The Edge design continues to increase the space dedicated to the Suite guests resulting in more crowded conditions in the common open deck areas. Any non-Suite guest will be happier on the current S-class ships with additional benefit of lower prices.

Is it possible that The EDGE's transatlantic is being sold as a Charter cruise?

What transatlantic. I believe (no one outside X knows) she will stay in Caribbean for the foreseeable future, possibly untill the next Edge class ship is launched. As I say no one knows. The chartered sailing will definitely not be a T A

You are totally 100% wrong Fishlover.

The policy is that laid down by Celebrity Cruises, nothing to do with the UK government, nor those governments of the other European and worldwide countries who also get treated worse than North America.

I notice you mainly refer to my booking almost 2 years ahead of time, and chose not to address my other points. Avoiding the uncomfortable issues you can't justify?

The issue is, firstly the cruise was pulled under the 12 month window at a time when pax will have booked air/hotel etc., secondly the extra costs I have incurred through no fault of my own, are substantial with no chance of recompense from Celebrity despite them being the cause.

You appear to be saying that, when Celebrity release new itineraries anything up to two years ahead of sail date, people should not book that early in case the cruise is cancelled - utter nonsense, do you see a warning anywhere on Celebrity Cruises website to that effect? No, of course not!

The arbitrary breaking of the contract between me and Celebrity as described in my earlier post IS clearly unfair to all except the most ardent cheerleaders.

I live in hope that the cruise line will do that to a group of pax from outside North America who subsequently decide to take the cruise line to court in the pax home country, for breach of contract and/or unfair contract terms. I am confident that the pax would win their case in Europe and most other countries. The problem for most of us as individuals is that costs of such action could be ruinous.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Hurrah. I wish people stop making statement about travel laws in the UK. I have yet to find anything that states a deposit is non refundable, because we enjoy better protection.

I wonder if you can take Celebrity to the small claims court?

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hurrah. I wish people stop making statement about travel laws in the UK. I have yet to find anything that states a deposit is non refundable, because we enjoy better protection.

I wonder if you can take Celebrity to the small claims court?

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Here are the terms to which you agree when booking

For cancellations received, the following cancellations charges will apply:

5 days or less before departure 100%

6 to 14 days before departure 90%

15 - 28 days before departure 75%

29 - 56 days before departure 50%

57 days or more before departure deposit only (including any increased deposit amount for any build your own package).

Please be advised that the minimum cancellation charge will always be the loss of deposit including any increased deposit amount arising from a build your own package or, where applicable, a Celebrity Cruise & Stay, Cruise & Relax or Cruise & Explore package. Please note that any amendment or transfer fees will also be charged when a booking is cancelled.

Curious about this as you posted earlier And as to those that don't live in the US, the terms of your deposits are governed by your own country. Why would you expect Celebrity to treat their client base differently based on the country they come from? They are an American based company.

If I do business with another country, and I do, I understand and accept the terms which are governed by their country.

They SHOULD treat us all the same Here are the relevant terms to which we have no choice but to agree if we choose to book a Celebrity cruise.

57 days or more before departure deposit only (including any increased deposit amount for any build your own package).

Please be advised that the minimum cancellation charge will always be the loss of deposit including any increased deposit amount arising from a build your own package or, where applicable, a Celebrity Cruise & Stay, Cruise & Relax or Cruise & Explore package. Please note that any amendment or transfer fees will also be charged when a booking is cancelled.

What transatlantic. I believe (no one outside X knows) she will stay in Caribbean for the foreseeable future, possibly untill the next Edge class ship is launched. As I say no one knows. The chartered sailing will definitely not be a T A

I'm talking about the Transatlantic that will take this ship from France where it is being built to Miami...

You can be sure of one thing. The ~X~lawyers have looked at the legality of this from all angles, with both U.S. law and international as well. I am sure they have done this often enough, especially when they cancel a cruise with less than a year to go, to know if they could be held accountable in court.

Here are the terms to which you agree when booking

Apologies, but I did not make myself clear on my original post. I am not referring to the terms and conditions that Celebrity imposes on our bookings, but the oft quoted laws in the UK regarding non refundable deposits that I have yet to find after much searching.

Apologies, but I did not make myself clear on my original post. I am not referring to the terms and conditions that Celebrity imposes on our bookings, but the oft quoted laws in the UK regarding non refundable deposits that I have yet to find after much searching.

I don't think there are any UK laws in this regard, The different companies all are allowed to impose their own rules and regulations. Cheap airlines are particularly bad in this matter

Actually, there are only 3 Celebrity charters between July and December of this year. I would not call that "constantly cancels for charters".

I am pretty sure that Summit was chartered for a number of sailings earlier this year. Not sure of how many, but I couldn't find any b2bs to choose from last Jan/Mar. And there may be only 3 charters for the rest of this year, but there are 8 charters of Summit from January 27 through April 2. I would say that's alot.

I'm talking about the Transatlantic that will take this ship from France where it is being built to Miami...

The rest of us understood what you meant. :halo:

To address your question, I doubt that the TA would be chartered. The majority of charters are for a week or less and the time commitment required for a typical TA is more than most organizations are interested in when planning a charter.

They SHOULD treat us all the same Here are the relevant terms to which we have no choice but to agree if we choose to book a Celebrity cruise.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I have been reading here for years about how the UK laws prohibit the return of deposits. Now I see that all the so called experts have been wrong all of this time, & it's just Celebrity's rule. I am surprised that I have not seem someone from the UK post this before; and more surprised that so many Brits book with them at all.

Edited by richsea

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I have been reading here for years about how the UK laws prohibit the return of deposits. Now I see that all the so called experts have been wrong all of this time, & it's just Celebrity's rule. I am surprised that I have not seem someone from the post this before; and more surprised that so many Brits book with them at all.

I think most of us know it's not a law. Celebrity's rules are obviously in response to the consumer protection standards afforded to the UK traveler. They are much more comprehensive than those in the USA and other countries. I'm sure most of our UK friends are aware of that.

Although it may not seem fair, there is a correlation.