Losing Platinum status

samshltn

Having acquired Platinum under the 'old' Latitudes scheme, I've noticed that under the 'new' scheme I only have enough points for Gold.

My account still shows that I am Platinum however. Am I in danger of losing it?

I couldn't find anywhere on NCL.com that explained it!
It's in the FAQ...

Will I keep my current tier status with the change to the point structure of the new program?

Yes. Even though you need more points to reach each tier in the new program (with the exception of Bronze), you will be grandfathered in to the new tier structure at your current tier level.

Also, it appears that they are "grandfathering" cruises booked before the Latitudes change to "become Platinum" under the old point structure... On my recent cruise on the Escape, I was at 63 points prior to sailing, and gained 14 points for booking more than 9 months out (Before the Latitudes changes) Upon my return, I logged into NCL to find myself as Platinum with only 77 points...

Having acquired Platinum under the 'old' Latitudes scheme, I've noticed that under the 'new' scheme I only have enough points for Gold.

My account still shows that I am Platinum however. Am I in danger of losing it?

Also, MSC is currently doing a staus match. Platinum on NCL euals Black on MSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having acquired Platinum under the 'old' Latitudes scheme, I've noticed that under the 'new' scheme I only have enough points for Gold. My account still shows that I am Platinum however. Am I in danger of losing it?

Your account is correct. You maintain your Platinum status with all of the new Platinum benefits. You start earning your way to Platinum Plus now.

Let's go straight to the NCL policy: "Even though you need more points to reach each tier in the new program (with the exception of Bronze), you will be grandfathered in to the new tier structure at your current tier level."

Anyone get lucky and get they're status changed mid cruise? Some lines have for us, but not NCL. Just hoping to go to platinum on a nine day suite.

Only way to do it mid-cruise is on a B2B cruise. The second leg is considered a new leg and you would then

get the Platinum status after completing the first leg

Fastest way to points as you have noted is the suite - 1 extra point per night and an insider offer 1 more extra point.

You will always get the standard 1 point per night on any cruise.

Literally first thing I did as soon as I got the notification I was Platinum :)

Do you know how long it takes to hear that it's been approved?

For me, it took about a week.

I noticed that if you were only 1-3 points away from 80, they gave you platinum. After my last cruise in March, it left me with 71 so I did not get platinum. Hopefully on my next cruise I will make it.

You are going to need 9 points -

At a minimum - - -

A nine day cruise does it - (9 points)

A five* day cruise in a suite does it - (5 + 5 points = 10)

Same with an RARE Insider Offer - (5 + 5 = 10)

*Cruises less than 6 days may not apply but you still get the standard 1 point per night

Remember the cruise after you get Platinum is the one that starts the Plat bennies !

RE:

I noticed that if you were only 1-3 points away from 80, they gave you platinum.

Old program Platinum at 76 points and grandfathered in - new program requires 80 points.

While this is mostly true, apparently they are moving Latitudes members up a level if you were booked prior to the changes... I just returned from the Escape booked in June of 2016, and I only reached 77 points, but my Latitudes status is now Platinum.

You are going to need 9 points -

At a minimum - - -

A nine day cruise does it - (9 points)

A five* day cruise in a suite does it - (5 + 5 points = 10)

Same with an RARE Insider Offer - (5 + 5 = 10)

*Cruises less than 6 days may not apply but you still get the standard 1 point per night

Remember the cruise after you get Platinum is the one that starts the Plat bennies !

RE:

I noticed that if you were only 1-3 points away from 80' date=' they gave you platinum.[/b']

Old program Platinum at 76 points and grandfathered in - new program requires 80 points.

...I only reached 77 points, but my Latitudes status is now Platinum.
I noticed that if you were only 1-3 points away from 80, they gave you platinum.

I'm exactly the same, I've just got to 77 points a few days ago, and I notice that I'm now Platinum.

It would seem as though, 'unofficially', they round up by three points. Does anyone have any further examples supporting or refuting this?

My last cruise in May 2017, booked in November 2016, got us to 78 points. I was expecting to still be gold and started to look for b2b cruises with a 2 or 3 nighter for the 1st part, so at least I would get platinum on the 2nd part. When I checked my account, we were already platinum.

I'm exactly the same, I've just got to 77 points a few days ago, and I notice that I'm now Platinum.

It would seem as though, 'unofficially', they round up by three points. Does anyone have any further examples supporting or refuting this?

My understanding is that they are making people platinum if a cruise that was booked before the February changes takes you to the number of points that would have taken them to platinum under the old rules.

So, I assume that the cruise that took you to 77 points was booked before February. If it had been booked in March then I believe that you would still be Gold now.

This is based on what I've read here, not any personal experience, and may be incorrect.

Also, it appears that they are "grandfathering" cruises booked before the Latitudes change to "become Platinum" under the old point structure... On my recent cruise on the Escape, I was at 63 points prior to sailing, and gained 14 points for booking more than 9 months out (Before the Latitudes changes) Upon my return, I logged into NCL to find myself as Platinum with only 77 points...

I had the same situation.

Also, MSC is currently doing a staus match. Platinum on NCL euals Black on MSC.

Are the two lines owned by the same company? I thought Oceania and NCL were but didn't know of any other......

I hope that is the case. I have a cruise in December, booked before the changes that would put us at 54 points. We would still be silver under the new tiers, but if we get the old tiers then we would be Gold!

It's not just with platinum, it's with gold too. In January I had 41 points and was silver. In February I booked a 12 night cruise which I went on in April so now MyNcl shows I have 53 points, but it shows my status as gold even though the minimum for gold is 55 points.

Are the two lines owned by the same company? I thought Oceania and NCL were but didn't know of any other......

No they are not.

I think it is a MSC Marketing thing since they are agressively moving into the US market with Seaside.

Coincidentally, it comes at a time when NCL jacked up suite prices and MSC has a similar product in Yacht Club.