It Pays to Read the Fine Print

jhannah

This may be old hat to you, but it is new to me. If you are about to renew your U.S. passport and wear glasses, be advised glasses are NOT permitted in the photo you submit. It's not on the overview page of photo requirements, but it is buried in the fine print.

"Glasses or other eyewear are not acceptable unless you provide a signed statement from a doctor explaining why you cannot remove them due to medical reasons (e.g., during the recovery period from eye surgery)."

I'm guessing this is due to the new facial recognition protocol. At any rate, does this mean we'll now have to remove our glasses when clearing border control?

In Canada we haven't been able to wear glasses or smile for passport photos for a number of years. We have not been asked to remove our glasses for customs/immigration identification, even when going through the Nexus kiosks.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

In Canada we haven't been able to wear glasses or smile for passport photos for a number of years. We have not been asked to remove our glasses for customs/immigration identification, even when going through the Nexus kiosks.

Oh, you beat me to it. No smiling was a surprise to me. And no shadows, either.

I renewed mine late last year and the next week had to get a new pair of glasses because I broke the old ones. I was traveling within the month so my new passport photo had my old glasses but I had a new pair of frames.

With the self-processing facial recognition most countries are moving towards (read all computerized, no actual people at the stations) it caused a bit of trouble getting through passport control. I was told to leave my glasses on if I had glasses in the photo, but because the new frames are quite different than the old ones, the camera had trouble recognizing me. I finally had to get a person to help me and they had to override the recognition system. I had the receipt for the new passport, my old passport, and the receipt for the new glasses just in case I needed proof of my story. I didn't need anything bit it can cause issues.

Oh Lordy

Since we got our passports renewed, both of us have gotten new glasses -- not once , but twice -- thus new frames.

And I no longer have the receipts.

I kept all the paperwork because I had to get new glasses two days after I sent the passport renewal in for processing. So when I travelled on the brand new, not even a week-old passport, I had a different pair of glasses.

Oh, you beat me to it. No smiling was a surprise to me. And no shadows, either.

Many people put on big smiles when being photographed - which tends to significantly alter their regular appearance --- the whole point of the passport photo is to give the immigration people an idea of how you normally look - meaning no glasses, no hats, and no "say cheese" smiles.

Many people put on big smiles when being photographed - which tends to significantly alter their regular appearance --- the whole point of the passport photo is to give the immigration people an idea of how you normally look - meaning no glasses, no hats, and no "say cheese" smiles.

I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old. Neither I nor my friends/family recognize me without my glasses. If the goal is how you normally look, then medically necessary glasses should be allowed to stay on in the photos. I know that's not how the authorities see it, but it's definitely the way I see it, when I have my glasses on. I can't see without them so if I have to take them off, I'd be no use in the self-service passport control booths.

This may be old hat to you, but it is new to me. If you are about to renew your U.S. passport and wear glasses, be advised glasses are NOT permitted in the photo you submit. It's not on the overview page of photo requirements, but it is buried in the fine print.

Knew it only when I was told by the Walgreen photographer to remove my glasses. Otherwise, I would not have known it either.

Oh Gee....this thread made me go look at my passport:D I have glasses on and am smiling:eek: Glasses are rimless and a bit difficult to see....we got theses passports in 2011....pictures were from Costco I think...interesting thread....thanks for posting. Last cruise was in January....no difficulties. Have also used passport going from Mexico to California several times as brother lives in Baja...no problem....but not sure if I have ever experienced one of those facial recognition thingies??

Just got our pictures taken for our new passports. Dh always attaches his glasses to the neck of his shirt when he takes them off. The CVS employee made him remove them even from there. He said "they" would reject the picture. Doesn't matter to us because no matter what the pictures always look like the mug shots you see on tv of the "wanted by police"! hehe!!:p:p:p

Unless you are taking the pictures for yourself, anywhere you go to have them taken should already know this. If not, its on them but should your passport be denied because of it, its kind of moot at that point.

I just had my passport renewed last month. Looked at my old book (ten years old) and I had a big grin on my face. When I went to my automobile club to get my photos (its free for gold card members), she made sure I was not smiling.

I mailed my passport renewal off on 6/26. Preparing the form online, I thought it was quite evident that no glasses, hats, smiling, etc. were to be in the photo.

Yes, whomever is taking the photo should know this by now.

BTW, I received my passport exactly 2 weeks after mailing it off, and that included the July 4th holiday. I was amazed at the quick turnaround in the middle of summer!

p.s. no one needs their glasses on to have a photo taken. Apparently it isn't about how you look normally, just how you look without anything added.

I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old. Neither I nor my friends/family recognize me without my glasses. If the goal is how you normally look, then medically necessary glasses should be allowed to stay on in the photos. I know that's not how the authorities see it, but it's definitely the way I see it, when I have my glasses on. I can't see without them so if I have to take them off, I'd be no use in the self-service passport control booths.

The point of the photo is more for it to be seen by the authorities than for you to be able to see them. The fact that many people have very different frames, the only practical approach in trying to give the photos value for ID purposes is to have standard requirements.

Not sure if it changed but you can now wear glasses for Canadian passports...

10. Prescription eyeglasses may be worn as long as the eyesare clearly visible and there is no reflection or glare on theeyeglasses.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/pass-photo-spec-eng.pdf

Just got our pictures taken for our new passports. Dh always attaches his glasses to the neck of his shirt when he takes them off. The CVS employee made him remove them even from there. He said "they" would reject the picture. Doesn't matter to us because no matter what the pictures always look like the mug shots you see on tv of the "wanted by police"! hehe!!:p:p:p

Jim,,,, OP,,,,:) NICE to see you here. i was thinking a ab out you. Icannogt get into my Y ahoow acount so have not reciev edc any e mail there in weeks. Hflors, You hit on the point I wish to make......... When you have your passport photos taken, go someplace where they know the rules. Be sure they photos that will be accdepted.

Jim,,,, OP,,,,:) NICE to see you here. i was thinking a ab out you. Icannogt get into my Y ahoo account so have not reciev ed any e mail there in weeks.

Hflors, You hit on the point I wish to make......... When you have your passport photos taken, go someplace where they know the rules. Be sure they produce photos that will be accepted.