What do people wear to dinner?

Lookingforfacts

True!

Doesn't mean that you cannot dress formal- we do and so do many others. Wear what you enjoy wearing. While the cruise lines now have less formal nights, doesn't mean that people do not still dress.

Enjoy.

To get this thread back to the original question which is what is commonly worn in the evening, here is my observation. On Elegant Chic nights on most cruises I have been on lately (six in the past year) I would say at least half of the men wore jackets. A handful wore suits or tuxedos. The remainder wore dress or khaki slacks with a long sleeved button shirt or a polo/golf shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt. Very few jeans on those nights. On the other nights, most men wore khaki slacks with a polo/golf shirt or Tommy Bahama type shirt. There were some jeans but not a whole lot. In the past couple of years I have seen a strong trending towards more casual clothing. Even see shorts in the MDR now and then but it depends on the Maître d' and how strict they are about the dress codes.

Never saw shorts in dining rooms- at buffet- but not in dining rooms or specialty restaurants including blu and lumine. Most people change out of their day clothes.

We are just off a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette.. the question "what do people wear to dinner?" The answer... Anything they darn well please... Disappointed in the MDR Staff... :( Shorts were not uncommon. "Chic" is a joke... I will say that on the 2nd Chic night, there were a dozen or so tuxes (including mine) at the early seating... but the guy wearing clothes that just finished cutting his lawn in followed me in . . . flip flops on Casual night, sure, why not, apparently no one cares...? ;p

So bring what you want, wear what you want ...:(:loudcry:

will be on the summit for our 6th cruise to Bermuda in two weeks, I am speaking about my experience on the Summit.

We will be too. My husband plans to wear khakis with polos/button down shirts (dependent upon temp in dining room) for most nights but will add a tie/jacket on the chic nights.

No matter which ship you are on, you will always find a couple of men who wear their baseball cap to dinner - and want to keep it on during dinner.

The waiter will usually ask them to remove it and most comply. Some don't.

Our July 2nd Equinox cruise had many shirtless men in the buffet the 1 day we visited.....and in the elevators and throughout the ship on this cruise....It was quite a sight. Main dining room sat people who had shorts, tank tops and t shirts every night regardless. Perhaps because this was such a warm weather itinerary.

Personally......I dressy evening I wear a jacket and for the rest just nice slacks and shirts.....Easier to pack and the ship is relatively warm and I don't like sweating when I eat. IMHO.

Safe sails!

My husband will wear Lululemon dress pants and a button down, and maybe a vest, to dinner for casual nights, and he's bringing two suits for "formal" nights for our upcoming cruise. (We're going to Alaska).

I'll be wearing black shift dresses to dinner every night except the two "formal" nights, where I have a cocktail dress and a couture full skirt with a top to wear that goes along with what my husband is wearing - it's our 10th anniversary, so this is our one shot to get pictures together since we got married. :D

No matter which ship you are on, you will always find a couple of men who wear their baseball cap to dinner - and want to keep it on during dinner.

The waiter will usually ask them to remove it and most comply. Some don't.

Not being American, I don't understand the preoccupation with baseball caps. Do these men ever look in a mirror and see how silly they look??

My husband will wear Lululemon dress pants and a button down, and maybe a vest, to dinner for casual nights, and he's bringing two suits for "formal" nights for our upcoming cruise. (We're going to Alaska).

I'll be wearing black shift dresses to dinner every night except the two "formal" nights, where I have a cocktail dress and a couture full skirt with a top to wear that goes along with what my husband is wearing - it's our 10th anniversary, so this is our one shot to get pictures together since we got married. :D

I love the idea of the vest to dress up my look on the regular nights. I may just have to go out and buy one. It will take up a lot less luggage space than a second jacket.

Thanks for sharing that idea.

My husband wears black jeans or blue jeans every night with a polo style shirt or long sleeve shirt. He looks great and many others are dressed similarly. Jackets are optional and he chooses not to wear one.

Are black jeans back again? I've been saving a pair or two for 10+ years, unless DW threw them out.

Not being American, I don't understand the preoccupation with baseball caps. Do these men ever look in a mirror and see how silly they look??

Many of us played baseball when we were younger, thus the baseball caps. On cruise they are great for shade on the face and head. I wear one all the time because I'm virtually bald. Should not be worn at dinner, most of us were taught that by their mothers.

It is only silly to you because you are not American. Different cultures have different definitions of what looks silly. I would not wear one to dinner but I wear them a lot. I like the look. I don't mind looking like an American.

Not all Americans are preoccupied with baseball caps. My dad use to wear a cap (not a baseball cap) and always took it off when indoors, so when I see a man indoors with a hat/cap on, I wonder if they were not taught the same thing.

You know (assume) it's only American men that are wearing baseball style hats. Silly of you to be preoccupied with that assumption. Some may say the same thing about trinity flat caps.

Edited by davekathy

Ugh...baseball caps are awful and should never be worn indoors.

Because you say so? I don't wear one to dinner out but I don't take it off in the supermarket. Don't take it off in bars either. Don't take it off at fast casual places like Panera Breads either. Coffee places. Don't take it off. And no, baseball caps are not awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only time I ever saw a man in the MDR was once. That was on embarkation day at the Concierge Luncheon, and it was my DH, who always wears a cap of some kind when outside to protect his head from the sun due to past history of skin cancer. We had just boarded, went directly to the MDR after boarding and he forgot he had it on. The maître d asked him to remove it and he immediately did so and apologized and was embarrassed that he'd forgotten. I have never seen anyone wearing a baseball cap in the MDR at dinner.

I love the idea of the vest to dress up my look on the regular nights. I may just have to go out and buy one. It will take up a lot less luggage space than a second jacket.

Thanks for sharing that idea.

You're welcome! They're very popular right now and I think they look pretty retro and nice!

You know (assume) it's only American men that are wearing baseball style hats. Silly of you to be preoccupied with that assumption. Some may say the same thing about trinity flat caps.

Actually loads of women wear them also...

We are on the Summit for the September 3rd sailing. We both like to dress up for dinners, but thats just us. He will wear his 3 piece suit (always cold) I am taking a few dresses (some long, some short) We don't get to get "dressy" much at home.

We are on the Summit for the September 3rd sailing. We both like to dress up for dinners, but thats just us. He will wear his 3 piece suit (always cold) I am taking a few dresses (some long, some short) We don't get to get "dressy" much at home.

As you should. When we do we could care less if we are the only two dressed formally. Enjoy your cruise.