ABRACADABRA .. Wooosh!!!

Balaena

P&O are asking for a name for their new ship and while I think DIANA or even CAMILLA would fit in with tradition, I think the new ship will be geared towards families therefore needs some excitement. This is my entry.

It may seem a strange name on the face of it but think about the connotations .. It's MAGIC !! the ship could be 'named' by JK Rowling and the cast of Harry Potter. Can you imagine children saying, what ship are we going on, Abracadabra .. oh! WOW I can't wait to tell my friends. Then the ship can have magic themes especially in the school holidays. As a bonus the name follows P&O tradition by ending the ships name with an A. Come on P&O, it is a fantastic name for an amazing ship and removes the usual stuffiness associated with the older ships in the fleet.

Wooosh!!

Bal pastedGraphic.png

Probably not a bad idea, only problem is P&O being P&O struggle the best of times to come up with something aimed at the 'younger' audience if you know what I mean. Brand new and innovative isn't really P&O's department.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sorry, but P&O is what it is --- you can't try to recreate the brand and make it into a British version of RCI or Disney. I don't want it to be too family friendly ----- it is just about right as it is and to us P&O is more of an adult line out of the school holidays.

Regarding a name --- have no idea, but Camilla made me chuckle - the Union Jack on the front (which we like, incidentally) probably annoys 80% of the world's population, to call it Camilla would probably annoy another 10% at the very least.

I suppose they could call it the Happy Wanderer ----- sorry, love that film as we can still see 'elements' of it now on our cruises ;-)

Just check this clip out and we are sure that you will all see yourself in at least one section ;-)

Edited by Presto2

Sorry, but P&O is what it is --- you can't try to recreate the brand and make it into a British version of RCI or Disney. I don't want it to be too family friendly ----- it is just about right as it is and to us P&O is more of an adult line out of the school holidays.

Regarding a name --- have no idea, but Camilla made me chuckle - the Union Jack on the front (which we like, incidentally) probably annoys 80% of the world's population, to call it Camilla would probably annoy another 10% at the very least.

I suppose they could call it the Happy Wanderer ----- sorry, love that film as we can still see 'elements' of it now on our cruises ;-)

I did my first P&O cruise in 1968 on the "Happy Wanderer". The film was largely filmed in studios but the actual ship they used when at sea was P&O's Oronsay which was originally an Orient Line ship, hence the colour scheme.

A "fly on the wall" documentary is on YouTube if you search for "I Am A Passenger Reel 1 (1960 -1969) showing everything of that era in a more factual setting

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I did my first P&O cruise in 1968 on the "Happy Wanderer". The film was largely filmed in studios but the actual ship they used when at sea was P&O's Oronsay which was originally an Orient Line ship, hence the colour scheme.

A "fly on the wall" documentary is on YouTube if you search for "I Am A Passenger Reel 1 (1960 -1969) showing everything of that era in a more factual setting

Regards John

Oh John, you are showing your age now ;-)

Will have a look at that youtube clip.

The film still makes us laugh though - love the bit on the staircase when the ship docks in a new place. It reminds us of every cruise we have ever been on :-)

Well apart from the obvious Canberra, what about Britannia Secunda? (Guess that makes the other one Britannia Prima)

I'd thought of Canberra, but it doesn't seem to fit the design ---------- Titon more like, for this one. Now we like Britannia, but the new ship is just that too big for us. More like Poseidon, but that makes me think of the 1970s disaster film !

Would hate it to be called Camilla and that would be too controversial a choice.

The concept of P&O Magic would fit the kind of audience that P&O is apparently aiming at. However people who've used P&O consistently might be less impressed. Nevertheless I definitely think the name will have a modern feel to it. Who's entered the competition?

Would hate it to be called Camilla and that would be too controversial a choice.

The concept of P&O Magic would fit the kind of audience that P&O is apparently aiming at. However people who've used P&O consistently might be less impressed. Nevertheless I definitely think the name will have a modern feel to it. Who's entered the competition?

22,000 people apparently. 😄

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

What about Tombola as it's a lottery whether you'll like her?

Seriously I think they could do worse than Diana, most words ending in 'a' seem to be related to food items, diseases or bacteria [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about Tombola as it's a lottery whether you'll like her?

Seriously I think they could do worse than Diana, most words ending in 'a' seem to be related to food items, diseases or bacteria [emoji849]

That made me laugh ...,

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Can we please close this thread. There are literally hundreds of Face Book pages about this, and it is all degenerating into pro and anti Diana arguments.

I'm in a couple of groups but my settings are such that they don't show up on my activity stream, so I had no idea such arguments exist. I think it's ok to close a thread if it turns sour but not on the off-chance it will just because it has somewhere on FB. Seriously, I sometimes think people like to argue online just for the sake of it, and get things way out of proportion, it's not like the name of the ship is in our control, or that it matters that much - I'm sure P&O will find something suitable.

[/font]

It may seem a strange name on the face of it but think about the connotations .. It's MAGIC !! the ship could be 'named' by JK Rowling and the cast of Harry Potter. Can you imagine children saying' date=' what ship are we going on, Abracadabra .. oh! WOW I can't wait to tell my friends. Then the ship can have magic themes especially in the school holidays. As a bonus the name follows P&O tradition by ending the ships name with an A. Come on P&O, it is a fantastic name for an amazing ship and removes the usual stuffiness associated with the older ships in the fleet.[/b']

I think you have something here Balaena, it will hack some of the old school off but hey ho who are P&O marketing too! It's bound to be passengers and families that are using Royal Caribbean, NCL, Disney and so on and not the loyal brigade such as us and indeed others on this site. Newbies to cruising and they are such a big market, generally know nothing about the history of P&O but like innovation, excitement and the fact that the ship is British will help (I think). Abracadabra, a yes from me, bring it on.

Left out