European Airports

FiggyWig

Hi All...

I will ask on ports of call as well but thought I would post here 1st.

With th UK news busy reporting on the horrendous in check-in at numerous European Airports today I was just wondering if there's anyone out there in CC World who has 1st hand experience of this?

I'm particularly interested in FCO (Rome).

Any horror stories to tell - missed flights / connections etc ?

They have 4 weeks to sort themselves out !!😎

It is the busiest time of the year. In terms of numbers it will be far less busy in 4 weeks. Also the focus on this in the media will ensure that more resources are deployed. Those two factors will help. Also the controls are for the Schengen area

Aside from anything else - it is for safety and security.

We've never missed a flight from FCO but we always have arrived as early as possible. Long lines are the rule but you can avoid those if you're traveling in business class or better. On our last trip, I was flying for the first time after knee replacement. Since I set off the scanners, I was subjected to a very intrusive full body pat down. All sorts of smart remarks went through my brain but I didn't think that the Italian security agent would appreciate them so I kept my mouth shut.

Hi All...

I will ask on ports of call as well but thought I would post here 1st.

With th UK news busy reporting on the horrendous in check-in at numerous European Airports today I was just wondering if there's anyone out there in CC World who has 1st hand experience of this?

I'm particularly interested in FCO (Rome).

Any horror stories to tell - missed flights / connections etc ?

They have 4 weeks to sort themselves out !!

FCO is fine for arriving but FCO is not pleasant if you are departing on an international flight to the US. Get there three hours in advance. When you get to the main terminal you have to take a shuttle bus to the international terminal. There were three different long security/passport/customs lines lines at the terminal including including putting all your electronics in a plastic bag. (they provide the bag) There are very few places to sit at the gate. I went to a cafe that had seats and had a coffee. At the gate you might get hand searched. They do random searches and it looked like about 30% got hand searched. From the gate you take a bus to the plane. Then one of those long gangways from ground level up to board.

We have our transfers and flights booked through X so hopefully they will get us to FCO in good time for our homeward flight to the UK which is around 1pm ...thinking about it...since their tendency is to get you off the ship as early as possible we will probably be kicking around the airport for a fair few hours ☹

Quickest we have ever gone through check in at Manchester airport at Jet2 on Monday. We had already checked in on line, just went to an individual computer/ weighing machine where an agent helped us.

I conclude it's down to the individual airline.

We went through security quite rapidly until I was asked to go through the body scanner, due to my knee replacement. This always happens, but do prefer it to being frisked.

We have our transfers and flights booked through X so hopefully they will get us to FCO in good time for our homeward flight to the UK which is around 1pm ...thinking about it...since their tendency is to get you off the ship as early as possible we will probably be kicking around the airport for a fair few hours ☹

To the UK you won't have to take a bus to the other terminal. My friends had a connecting flight thru Heathrow, not a nonstop to the US and left from the main terminal. I expect you will have a better experience at FCO than I did.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I recently read that at Rome airport (FCO), passengers now go directly to their airline terminal and no longer have to check in at terminal 5.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I recently read that at Rome airport (FCO), passengers now go directly to their airline terminal and no longer have to check in at terminal 5.

I just googled your info and what you read is correct. Terminal 5 has recently been closed for renovations. They have created a new international area in terminal 3 which sounds much better with enhanced gates, stores, eateries and lounge areas. They want to present a better experience to international passengers.

Only flown in and out of Rome twice. It's a crap shoot, so go early. There are lines EVERYWHERE although some are not sure what line they are really in and for which airline. On our last trip back to the U.S. after we finally figured out which line was for United we waited and waited and time was getting a little short for our comfort. Sudden a United rep came by, pulled 10 of us out of the line, took our flight print outs and told us to RUN to a gate for another flight that was leaving in 20 minutes. We all ran, or tried to, flew through security and made it to the gate just before they closed the door of the plane. Of course the plane was nearly full so they placed us wherever they could. My friend was placed in first row economy, I was placed in the last row of economy by the toilet!!

Flew out of FCO last summer. Delayed on the ship due to a huge thunderstorm the morning we docked,which shut down port operations temporarily since the workers could not offload the bags. Once disembarking resumed, it was a zoo, with people in a panic over missing flights, cutting in line etc.

As mentioned already, they make you put your electronics in a clear plastic bag to go through security. We got through and they ran out of bags and held up a friend for a few minutes before finally shrugging and sending his un-bagged electronics through.

Other than that, not a lot of seating in the gate area and the Alitalia business class lounge leaves a LOT to be desired. Other than that, the airport is fine.

We've never missed a flight from FCO but we always have arrived as early as possible. Long lines are the rule but you can avoid those if you're traveling in business class or better. On our last trip, I was flying for the first time after knee replacement. Since I set off the scanners, I was subjected to a very intrusive full body pat down. All sorts of smart remarks went through my brain but I didn't think that the Italian security agent would appreciate them so I kept my mouth shut.

My DH also has a replacement knee and sets off the alarm every single time, in every airport we travel through. You can obtain a card (in the UK) via your surgeons office giving details of the prosthetic and he always has this to hand. To date not ONE single security officer has agreed to look at it. He always has the pat down full stop. We make it a rule now to always allow extra time for security in order to get through in time. The latest situation in European airports is being given lots of news time with airlines suggesting a minimum of 3 hours before the flight. However long it takes, it takes, just be prepared for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

. You can obtain a card (in the UK) via your surgeons office giving details of the prosthetic.

This is news to me.

I had my replacement knee in 2005 and repeatedly asked for one when I went for check ups. I was told they didn't issue them as it could be used by people who weren't entitled to one!

Maybe different hospitals have different ideas.

The only airport that I have been through where the scanner didn't alarm was Galveston. However, I can enter some ships where my knee doesn't set off the alarm! Pointless having it set up if it doesn't work properly.

Recently added the second knee. Just expect the pat down every time. When the alarm doesn't go off, its a happy day. Alarms returning to the ship, as well.

My new hip sets it off too. My hospital did offer the card but said it would be useless as hightened security meant no airport would take it at face value. Actually, I think that's how it should be. I always end up in the full body scanner thing!

We just got back from a month in Europe - 5 countries visited. Most of the airports we flew in and out of (Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris & Dusseldorf) were very busy with long lines and DH had to take his tablet out of his carry on every time (we don't have to do that in the U.S.). We always made sure to get to the airport about 3 hours early. We were quite shocked in Dusseldorf when everyone (regardless if they were Europeans or Americans or other nationalities) were felt up (yep, you read that right for both men and women).

This is news to me.

I had my replacement knee in 2005 and repeatedly asked for one when I went for check ups. I was told they didn't issue them as it could be used by people who weren't entitled to one!

Maybe different hospitals have different ideas.

The only airport that I have been through where the scanner didn't alarm was Galveston. However, I can enter some ships where my knee doesn't set off the alarm! Pointless having it set up if it doesn't work properly.

It may be because we asked my husbands consultant for a letter he could carry with him. He provided this but then arranged for a card which is supplied by the The British Orthopaedic Association. It has full name of the patient, the limb with the implant, the surgeon and date of surgery. It has a confirmation reference also. It also gives a website address where the identity of the patient can be confirmed. However, as I stated before, it has yet to be inspected by any security officer in any airport we have travelled through so I wouldn't rush to obtain one. He will continue to carry his however, maybe one day he might need it.

• 3 weeks later...

We flew out of Rome in June. Had the second flight of the day, arrived right when the check-in desk opened, and we had about 150 people ahead of us in line! [emoji33] They then started pulling people from the line for a flight departing a mere 10 min before ours, making our wait even longer and increasing our stress. Finally we checked in, and they didn't even charge us for our "overweight" carry-on and checked it for free presumably to save time. It was not fun, and I would prefer to fly out of a different city next time.

----and they didn't even charge us for our "overweight" carry-on and checked it for free presumably to save time

It's to save overhead locker space!

I was invited to put my overnight bag in the hold for free on both journeys recently, due to the flight 'being full.'

Apparently if you insist on taking your bag with you on to the flight, some budget airlines will be charging in the future due to 'loss of revenue!' So many people , in their view are trying to fly on the cheap, by only taking hand luggage, instead of paying for hold luggage.

We are flying with Jet2 this week-end. We've paid for checked bags so it will be interesting to see if they still want to take the carry ons. On EasyJet last year our main bag was 1kg overweight and so they charged us £10. They then said we could put our 2 carry ons in the hold as well for free. Bargain considering the cost of 3 hold bags.

We are flying with Jet2 this week-end.

Our recent flight was with Jet 2. Brilliant check in service in MAN where they have a dedicated check in hall. Individual computers/ weigh scales so only took 5 minutes as I had already printed out our boarding passes.

Not so on our return from Madeira, where we had to queue with everyone else, even though we had our boarding passes- no bag drop off. BUT hand luggage went into the hold both times. So much easier at security checks.