Worst RCCL Ship

I am just looking for opinions on the least desirable ship on the RCCL'S. I see a couple of itineraries that interest me, but do not want to commit to it yet...because I don't know a lot about the ship. (I don't want to name the ship because I want to see what everyone says) I hope this makes sense.

From my perspective, it would be the Grandeur or the Seas aka Stinky of the Seas. The Grandeur has a history of sewage smells around midship and we have experienced that on both times we sailed on the Grandeur. Never again for me on Stinky.

I prefer Voyager Class or Freedom class ships...they are, IMO, just the right size. They're big enough to have lots of public areas, but not so large that you feel you have to rush about just to see/do everything.

Radiance class, so far, has been my least favorite...not a fan of the 'enclosed" solarium at all.

Totally agree with you. Freedom class is my favorite followed by Voyager!

I had never sailed on any ship that I didn't like.....UNTIL......Majesty. I've sailed with RCCL about 20 times and all ships, even the smaller ones (Enchantment/Serenade) were wonderful. Majesty is just a strange layout. The best things Majesty has going for it is the fact that it STILL (for the time being) has a Viking Crown Lounge. While I don't THINK I would ever sail on that ship again, I'll never say never (but ALMOST never)!

I don't know what you are referring to by a 'strange layout'. Having sailed on Her Majesty (my nickname for her) you do have to walk through one venue to reach another venue. That is the same situation on all the ships that do not have a Promenade. You liked Serenade, which as a Radiance class ship doesn't have a Promenade and therefore would have the same issue of walking through one venue to reach another. We sailed on Jewel (sister ship to Serenade) and unless you walk on the outer walkway....it is through one venue to get to another....but the large amount of glass to look out onto the ocean gives it a unique feel and dimension.

We enjoyed Her Majesty aplenty...small enough and plenty of activities (whenever we sailed on her) spread around the ship....no matter what ship you are on, if it rains the CD has to use their 'alternative Cruise Compass' which should be designed to provide activities indoors.

We do love the Voyager and Freedom classes.....they are big enough without being too big and as Royal adds the water slides they will just become perfect. Yet that doesn't mean that the smaller ships will not be wonderful for a cruise....because they will be.

We did 12 nights Brilliance out of Barcelona. Great itinerary, better than a TA. Santorini and Naples (Amalfi) were the highlights.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

John and LaLa.

Am I right in thinking you did a Live From thread on that Brilliance cruise?

I've been unsuccessfully trying to find it using the search features. I really enjoyed reading it at the time which I think was last year.

We are sailing a very similar itinerary in 3 weeks' time and I would love to re-read it.

Could you possibly find the link? I would be very grateful.

Corinne

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Worst maintenance we have seen was Enchantment. Bolts rusted through railings so handrail would move, wood splinting, and others. But we will be on her again next year. Worst cruise was Allure, too big smaller venues, hurry up and wait attitude, and not friendly or helpful. Like Voyager and Freedom class the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

From US News and World Report ranking:

Serenade

Allure

Oasis

Jewel

Vision

Independence

Mariner

Freedom

Voyager

Rhapsody

Explorer

Radiance

Brilliance

Liberty

Quantum

Navigator

Legend

Adventure

Harmony

Grandeur

Enchantment

Majesty

Anthem

Ovation

Empress

John and LaLa.

Am I right in thinking you did a Live From thread on that Brilliance cruise?

I've been unsuccessfully trying to find it using the search features. I really enjoyed reading it at the time which I think was last year.

We are sailing a very similar itinerary in 3 weeks' time and I would love to re-read it.

Could you possibly find the link? I would be very grateful.

Corinne

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, that was in 2010 for our 25th anniversary. I really wasn't posting all the time back then. Plus shipboard internet wasn't very good.

But here are my recollections of the itinerary.

Barcelona departure was easy enough, but I think they've added terminals.

Viillefrance - we did ships tour of Monte Carlo

Livorno - ship tour to Pisa. It's now a been there done that stop. I didn't feel we had enough time to do Florence justice

Civicavetchia - I just wandered around the city. We were in Rome for several days a few years prior

Athens - ship tour of original stadium for the modern Olympics and the Parthenon area. It was fun

Kusadasi - did private tour of Esaphus including the apartments. Laura didn't go, she only does ships tours. Only drawback was we wasted 2 hours at a leather coat shop. Painful.

Santorini - awesomeness. Ships tour, just lovely. Ferry from ship to a bus, then drove to Oia. Wandered around eating gelato. Then to a winery, and finally cable cars back to tender. Can't wait to go back

Naples - ships tour again. Amalfi by coast. Bus to Sorrento, enjoyed limoncello, bought a ridiculously expensive inlay gaming table, had lunch. Bus to Poisatano, boarded boat to ride to Amalfi, bought more limoncello and gelato, had pizza by the slice. Ride back to Poisatano, stopped at cameo shop near Mt Vesuvius. Waste of time. Can't wait to go back.

I think that's it. Hope you have fun. Brilliance is a great ship for that itinerary

Serenade

Allure

Oasis

Jewel

Vision

Independence

Mariner

Freedom

Voyager

Rhapsody

Explorer

Radiance

Brilliance

Liberty

Quantum

Navigator

Legend

Adventure

Harmony

Grandeur

Enchantment

Majesty

Anthem

Ovation

Empress

With exception of Anthem and Ovation, the bottom does not surprise me

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Serenade

Allure

Oasis

Jewel

Vision

Independence

Mariner

Freedom

Voyager

Rhapsody

Explorer

Radiance

Brilliance

Liberty

Quantum

Navigator

Legend

Adventure

Harmony

Grandeur

Enchantment

Majesty

Anthem

Ovation

Empress

What would be interesting is the criteria they used to create the list and what they said about other cruise lines as well. Yes, I know this is a Royal thread, but many here cruise other lines and could tell some bias, if there was any with the comparison.

Yes it is. We have done 2 MJ cruises after we said no more. Great Galley Brunch and awesome Chefs Table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Her move from Miami to Port Canaveral was the reason for booking our 4th and 5th on her, though I'm sorry I missed out on Enchantment when she was here.

Just to give an alternative opinion on Majesty --- we have sailed on her 12 times. Some were right before a planned refurb and many were not....was she always as 'spit shined' as other cruises on her or maybe some repairs needed to be attended to and would be when they had the parts and time to allocate.

However, we NEVER had a bad cruise on her. Staff was always attentive, food was good, entertainment good. Any specific problem was handled by guest services.

I don't know what sailing you were on, but others have had different experiences.

People can remember specific things and forget the good. My first time in a Junior Suite was on deck 9 of Majesty and it was the last cabin on the port side. A leak occured in the hallway that created a very moldy smell. We enjoyed the cruise and came back on her 3 years later and everything looked new again.

Adventure- we didn't like the service

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had not so good dining room service, but great service in the DL and Chops. The ship itself was in good shape and was a great reminder of my first cruise on Voyager.

I don't know what you are referring to by a 'strange layout'. Having sailed on Her Majesty (my nickname for her) you do have to walk through one venue to reach another venue.

The small mezzanine level the elevator stops at requiring taking steps up to the Centrum level is strange and inconvenient. I am able bodied but it definitely posed a problem for others and there were many people on disembarkation day trying to lug their suitcases first up and then back down the stairs to visit guest services or pick up alcohol they had purchased on shore.

Majesty - January 2016. I won't do that again. It's like the booze cruise ferries in the Baltic sea and it's SELL SELL SELL from the crew since they only have a few days to sell their stuff.

Navigator - February 2017. Dirty and had problems with sewage stench in some areas. Personaly didn't like the layout of the ship. Did a cruise on the Freedom directly after the Navigator cruise and was afraid that I wouldn't like it since it's basically just a bigger Voyager class. But I must say that Royal have made a much better class with the Freedom class and added stuff that the Voyager class lacks.

I have sailed on Serenade 7nts, Allure 7nts, Legend 21nts, Majesty 3nts, Navigator 9nts, Freedom 6nts (& NCL Epic 7nts, Celebrity Equinox 11nts).

Majesty - January 2016. I won't do that again. It's like the booze cruise ferries in the Baltic sea and it's SELL SELL SELL from the crew since they only have a few days to sell their stuff.

Navigator - February 2017. Dirty and had problems with sewage stench in some areas. Personaly didn't like the layout of the ship. Did a cruise on the Freedom directly after the Navigator cruise and was afraid that I wouldn't like it since it's basically just a bigger Voyager class. But I must say that Royal have made a much better class with the Freedom class and added stuff that the Voyager class lacks.

I have sailed on Serenade 7nts, Allure 7nts, Legend 21nts, Majesty 3nts, Navigator 9nts, Freedom 6nts (& NCL Epic 7nts, Celebrity Equinox 11nts).

What didn't you like about the layout of Navigator that you feel was improved on Freedom?