Crown and Anchor - What to expect

I'm late to the party and we have just completed our first cruise a couple of weeks ago. Definately got the bug and next year is booked. Now that we have the giddy heights of gold status I wondered just what that actually meant in real terms on our next cruise?

My understanding is that until you get back 30 points there is no real benefit at the booking stage but does the gold status count for anything onboard? Given that most of the other crusers onboard will also not be first times I am presuming not much.

I'm late to the party and we have just completed our first cruise a couple of weeks ago. Definately got the bug and next year is booked. Now that we have the giddy heights of gold status I wondered just what that actually meant in real terms on our next cruise?

My understanding is that until you get back 30 points there is no real benefit at the booking stage but does the gold status count for anything onboard? Given that most of the other crusers onboard will also not be first times I am presuming not much.

Attached is an example of the onboard coupons for Gold level.

CA coupons - Gold.pdf

The entire thing is a joke

The only thing that used to be worthwhile was a few drinks once you hit around 11 - 7 day cruises.

Now that RC convinced everyone to buy drink packages.

The free drinks are now unnecessary.

But there people on this site that live their life based on the RC status system...

Until you hit the next level, there aren't many great perks....but if you need help with something, the Crown and Anchor desk/phone line is generally more helpful than the normal booking line. Don't worry about achieving "status"....just go and have fun!

The only thing that used to be worthwhile was a few drinks once you hit around 11 - 7 day cruises.

Speak for yourself.

I would never ever even consider buying the drink package (not worth it for me between level of drinking and frugality). But my free Diamond drinks are a HUGE perk to me (including the cappuccino machine). We go to the DL on the early side every night for a couple drinks and often use a few of our sea pass drinks after that during/after dinner. I don't mind only drinking during that 3.5 hour period (plus you can use your sea pass drinks for unopened beers and save them for late night or during the next day if you want).

Never understood why people try to speak for entire populations. Different people value perks differently.

As a Gold member, the only real benefit is priority check-in in some ports. Some don't have it, but both in Miami and San Juan we were able to get right in, and in fact the Gold line was shorter than the Diamond line.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes anyway. I've registered for C&A, but haven't actually taken the trip yet. I won't be gold until the 2nd trip, right?

Yes, the points actually dont get credited until about 2 weeks after your cruise, even if you hit the next tier mid cruise.

But there people on this site that live their life based on the RC status system..

I don't buy a drink package, never have. My bar bill has never been as high as a drink package costs and now with the free drinks, my bar bill is almost nothing. Free drinks aren't unnecessary to me.

Just curious, do you ever post anything positive?

As a Gold member, the only real benefit is priority check-in in some ports. Some don't have it, but both in Miami and San Juan we were able to get right in, and in fact the Gold line was shorter than the Diamond line.

Does anyone know if Port Canaveral has priority check in for Gold? Thanks!

I'm not sure what the benefits are either, but I noticed last week on my first cruise some lines had signs for higher levels of crown and anchor. I walked on to the boat very early, about 20th in line, and I also walked right in to dinner without reservations. I entered all the bars I wanted. I don't see what the benefits on board would be.

But there people on this site that live their life based on the RC status system...

77 points only makes you Emerald. What lounge did they open for free drinks??

I'm not sure what the benefits are either, but I noticed last week on my first cruise some lines had signs for higher levels of crown and anchor. I walked on to the boat very early, about 20th in line, and I also walked right in to dinner without reservations. I entered all the bars I wanted. I don't see what the benefits on board would be.

Open bar for 3.5 hours every night, free specialty coffee 24/7, internet discounts, free photos, etc.

Having a bad day? We don't buy drink packages and enjoy the Diamond lounge and 3 drinks each night. And the 225.00 balcony discount is nice. C&A may not be awesome, but it's not a joke either.

That last line is a joke.......

Speak for yourself.

I would never ever even consider buying the drink package (not worth it for me between level of drinking and frugality). But my free Diamond drinks are a HUGE perk to me (including the cappuccino machine). We go to the DL on the early side every night for a couple drinks and often use a few of our sea pass drinks after that during/after dinner. I don't mind only drinking during that 3.5 hour period (plus you can use your sea pass drinks for unopened beers and save them for late night or during the next day if you want).

Never understood why people try to speak for entire populations. Different people value perks differently.

That is us as well. I'll have 1-4 drinks a day on a cruise, depending on what we're doing (port days obviously left). Generally one before dinner, and one at the show if we go. My wife maybe has 1 drink/day, she's just not a drinker. Both of the dinner/show drinks are free as I will get them with the loyalty perks. I also like the cappuccino machine as well, and sometimes just sitting in the lounge if it's quiet to relax, read, do puzzles.

We're not internet junkies, so the 4 free days of internet now (2 each being D+) is great. It takes care of a short cruise by itself, and most of a 7-night if we just break it up. We still find the balcony discount worthwhile (though watered down compared to other deals sometimes). We also pick up our 2 free photos every cruise (whether we are getting others or not). We enjoy the behind the scenes tours when we decide to go (or offered, sometimes they don't have them). Plus the other little things added in (heck, we have a whole collection of RCL towels now :) )

I find RCL has the best loyalty benefits of the lines we're on. Do some peoples personal spending habits dilute them for them, sure, but they're still there.

Speak for yourself.

I tried to post this before, but somehow it didn't work. We will become Diamond when we complete our B2B cruise in November. Are the complimentary cappuccinos only available in the DL. Can we get a capuccino in the dining room?

I tried to post this before, but somehow it didn't work. We will become Diamond when we complete our B2B cruise in November. Are the complimentary cappuccinos only available in the DL. Can we get a capuccino in the dining room?

You cannot usually get a free cappucino in the dining room. The only exception that comes to mind is when some ships (not sure how many do this anymore) have a Diamond breakfast area, then you can get a free cappucino.

You cannot usually get a free cappucino in the dining room. The only exception that comes to mind is when some ships (not sure how many do this anymore) have a Diamond breakfast area, then you can get a free cappucino.

Thanks Bob!