Allure of the seas, crippled

We sailed Allure during the time she was sailing under reduced power the last time it had the pod issue. To avoid further drag that would slow the ship more, the stabilizers were not used during our sailing. We didn't make Nassau due to high seas and bad weather. No stabilizers. We were really rolling! My brother-in-law was quite sick from the motion....my family was thoroughly amused with it. I've been on 20 cruises. The Allure in stormy, higher seas was one of the most fun rides we ever had. I do love a lot of motion....I know, not the norm and not fun for most.

Hello everyone and apologies to Biker19, for not posting during my week of cruising last week. You gave me excellent instructions on using my iphone on the sailing.

Got off the ship yesterday in FLL and had a great week of cruising and this is what I experienced.

Also, I attended the question/answer session with the Captain on Saturday morning, our last sea day, and found this to be very informative and will comment about this as well. We were in a Junior Suite, Deck 8 which was located in center.

I was in the Coastal Kitchen the same evening as a previous post and my wife and I saw the Carnival Ship pass us, but I also noted that this ship looked much smaller in size and just attributed the speed difference to this. We also got back to PE at the scheduled time so apparently, the speed that we traveled was adequate to achieve our destination. Not once the entire week did I experience any unusual motion of the ship and I can also say that since I got off Allure, 24 hours ago, I have not experienced the feeling of rocking (which usually occurs for about a day with me when I get home). The ships speed and stability was fine all week and I spent a lot of time in the fore of the ship using the Spa and exercise services as well as in the Amber theater for 3 nights of shows. I also spent a considerable amount of time in the aft which is where all of the dining venues were that I visited. I spent considerable time in the thermal suite of the Spa, deck 5 and in the small space in the very aft of the ship you would think that you would feel motion as you sit and contemplate life, but never remember any feeling of pitch and roll.

In the Captain's discussion on Saturday, I specifically asked him during the Q&A portion of the talk about the "crippled Allure". Was he honest in his reply, well I thought he was. He said that it is a worn bearing issue in one of the azipods and due to this, they were only able to use 2, rather than all 3. He then talked about the horse power generated by each, which I think he said was 55,000 per. The Chief Engineer even commented later that he felt bad about not being able to provide the Captain with full power due to this issue. We even discussed the you-tube video about the dry docking that had taken place some years ago in the Bahamas. I would assume that if RCI is only cancelling one week of cruises at this time in January, then the fix will take place in the same manner.

I never felt shorted or cheated for port time and as a matter of fact, we departed Jamaica about 45 minutes later than scheduled as I watched one passenger slowly make her way through the compound and onto the ship. The Captain even commented about how agitated he gets when he has to delay departure and watch the late passengers stroll to the ship and stop to take selfies. He jokingly said he has to leave the bridge, go outside and count to 100 and smoke a cigarette.

Overall, we had a great cruise and the only small issue I encountered had nothing to do with the ships travel.

Hope this helps; sorry about those not able to make the ports they booked. Book the Spa for the week or spend more time in your favorite venue and make the most of your cruise experience.

We are on celebrity but the allure is parked next to us in st Maarten, everything seems fine from here, wish u all the best on you're upcoming trips

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is because the problem is under water.

We're currently on the Allure. Talking with crew they say the reason why it will now go to San Juan is because of the port charges. SJ is less costly hence more profit. The same reason they pulled out of Brazil.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

I thought they passed the port charges on to the cruises taxes and other fees . We've gotten money credited to our account on cruises where we skipped a scheduled port do to weather or other reasons.

. Talking with crew they say the reason why it will now go to San Juan is because of the port charges. SJ is less costly hence more profit. The same reason they pulled out of Brazil.

I must say, that is one of the more unique rumors the crew came up with.

I know St. Thomas, at least used to, lower their port fees for ships docking over in Crown Bay. I suspect that is why RCI had no issue moving all of its ship over their from Havenshight. Now Puerto Rico is offering a better discount to entice the ships over there from St. Thomas? This must be the beginning of inter island port fee pricing war.:rolleyes:

Though port fees would make more sense then blaming the pod issue. St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are so close that when Adventure would leave St. Thomas to return to Puerto Rico it would almost sit still in the water so that it would not arrive too early in the morning.

OMG...PROBLEMS WITH THE SHIP...DISASTER, CANCELLING CRUISE....

Get a grip people, unless this is your first cruise and you HAD to go EASTERN CARIBBEAN (WHY)....lay back and enjoy it

"We" don't really "GIVE A DAMN SCARLETT".

You are on one of the worlds biggest best cruising ships with thousands of other (usually) fun loving people who are going to have a great time, and so will you if you loosen up, relax, have a few cocktails...

We're currently on the Allure. Talking with crew they say the reason why it will now go to San Juan is because of the port charges. SJ is less costly hence more profit. The same reason they pulled out of Brazil.

So surely now the passengers should get a refund for the difference in port fees?

All seems a bit fishy to me... late notice so no-one can cancel! Are Royal Caribbean's ethics slipping? Never used to be like this!

Get a grip people, unless this is your first cruise and you HAD to go EASTERN CARIBBEAN (WHY)....lay back and enjoy it

You are on one of the worlds biggest best cruising ships with thousands of other (usually) fun loving people who are going to have a great time, and so will you if you loosen up, relax, have a few cocktails...

Oh yeah. We don't really care where we go as long as there is a Concierge lounge, happy hour, and people who like to chat. What we do not like is when we plan multiple B2Bs and RCCL cancels one out from under you (i.e. Mariner TA).

Look to all you whiners out on this and any other thread. As long as you have your health all is well. The cancelling of a cruise or diversion to another port is not the end of the world. At least you are still on vacation and as long as you go with the flow you will have a good time. What stinks in this world is over 40 people dying in Texas due to the hurricane or people having inoperable tumors in their brain and slowly dying, etc. That is something to cry over. Get a damn grip folks if you can afford to vacation you are well ahead of most people in this world.

Seems to me that you need o take your own advice before reading these boards.

I am on Allure currently, comming to the end of 7 day cruise, Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Port stops at Nassau and St Thomas were shortened but other than that the reported propeller problems have made no difference to the cruise. I have enjoyed every moment and want to reassure everyone who are booked for future cruises on this ship, no need to worry.

Pretty amazing she can still do 20 knots on just two props.

Been keeping my eye on the ship info channel on the TV. Not sure how accurate it is and haven't been looking at it for the whole entire cruise, but I've not seen it more than 18 knots since we left Pt E. I was going to take the Bridge tour and ask but is was scheduled too early and slept through it. We were in port anyway.

Been keeping my eye on the ship info channel on the TV. Not sure how accurate it is and haven't been looking at it for the whole entire cruise, but I've not seen it more than 18 knots since we left Pt E.

I was surprised to see 20.1 knots reported the other day on MarineTraffic.

Pretty amazing she can still do 20 knots on just two props.

It may have been that fast heading from Nassau to St Thomas, I didn't check much on that leg. They certainly seem to be going as fast as they can. I can certainly understand why they would want to shorten the itinerary given the propulsion condition. They're probably running those two engines at full.