Flight name change

florence11

Hi,

This may not be the right place to post this but I don't know where else to ask. We are a group of 7 and have booked flights (separately) to Singapore to pick up our cruise in Feb 2018. Due to unforeseen circumstances 1 of the group is not able to go so someone else has agreed to step into their place. We have been in touch with Celebrity and everything is fine but the airline will not do anything and the seat needs to be re-booked. What I would like to know (if anyone has been in this situation) is if we did not change the booking and just turned up at the airport would we be able to do a name change or re-book the seat etc. or will that be too late.

I would appreciate any information

Thanks

Not a chance! You'll just have to suck it up and get a new ticket NOW with the exact passport name of the traveler. Any value of the original ticket can only be used by the named person on the original ticket - you'll want to check with the airline regarding the rules of the exact fare purchased in terms of any value the unused ticket may have.

IF the person who can't go "due to unforeseen circumstances" has travel insurance AND he/she is cancelling for a "covered reason" according to policy definitions, then he/she could be eligible to claim the loss through the insurance company.

Like others have it is unlikely the name on the ticket can be changed but perhaps posting on the Cruise Air section of this forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128 would provide some recommendations/suggestions.

If you do post there be sure to include the Airline and as many details about the ticket (including whether or not it was purchased through Choice Air) in case there are variables that can help you out.

You also don't mention what the "unforeseen circumstances" are but if they are medical in nature there is a chance there may also be an option to see if the Credit Card used to purchase the airfare has any coverage (mine does for medical reasons). Good luck.

Names CAN be changed, but only if the conditions of booking allow. Contact the airline and ask. You may have to do that through your TA, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

If the ticket clearly states that no changes can be made after reservations are confirmed, that’s the point you need to look into an insurance claim.

Not sure why TSA might be involved going from Wales to Singapore, but I agree that this an airline problem, not a Celebrity problem. The terms and conditions of the ticket purchase will prevail.

Sorry. Missed where OP mentioned traveling from Wales. 😉

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

Not a chance! You'll just have to suck it up and get a new ticket NOW with the exact passport name of the traveler. Any value of the original ticket can only be used by the named person on the original ticket - you'll want to check with the airline regarding the rules of the exact fare purchased in terms of any value the unused ticket may have.

IF the person who can't go "due to unforeseen circumstances" has travel insurance AND he/she is cancelling for a "covered reason" according to policy definitions, then he/she could be eligible to claim the loss through the insurance company.

I'm pretty sure Kwaj girl is absolutely correct. I do know of a situation where someone bought a domestic fare, as a gift, for another individual. Unfortunately, the receiver of the gift fare was later unable to go. The airline would not even allow the gift giver, who paid the fare, to change the ticket to their name and use it.

On the other hand, you'll love Singapore, one of my favorite world cities with SO much to see and enjoy.

I booked an international flight with Choice Air. Due to the fabulous Celebrity website I was unable to add JR to my name when I registered. As a result the ticket did not include the JR at the end of my name. I was concerned that this may cause a problem with TSA since the ticket name would not exactly match my driver's license. Choice Air confirmed that this could be a problem and advised I should buy another ticket. I asked about a refund on my original ticket. Their response - non-refundable, I would have to eat the cost ($1,400). I called the airline direct (FinnAir) and they said since I booked with Choice Air, they would have to resolve the problem. After much back and forth the FinnAir agent took pity on me and said she would escalate the problem to management. FinnAir agreed to issue a refund code that Choice Air could use to obtain a refund. I called Choice Air and gave them the refund code and asked to cancel the existing ticket and issue a new one. They said OK, but the price had gone up $400. So the net result of having to add JR to my name was and additional $400 and a lot of hassle.

This may not be the right place to post this but I don't know where else to ask. We are a group of 7 and have booked flights (separately) to Singapore to pick up our cruise in Feb 2018. Due to unforeseen circumstances 1 of the group is not able to go so someone else has agreed to step into their place. We have been in touch with Celebrity and everything is fine but the airline will not do anything and the seat needs to be re-booked. What I would like to know (if anyone has been in this situation) is if we did not change the booking and just turned up at the airport would we be able to do a name change or re-book the seat etc. or will that be too late.

Thanks

If the person who can not go has no independent travel insurance, check if the credit card used to pay the cruise and purchase the ticket covers any travel insurance.

Hi,

Thanks

No airline that I know of will allow a name change on a ticket.

Only way to salvage the price of the ticket from the airline is if a refundable ticket had been purchased.

If you purchased the airfare from Celebrity, I do not know what Celebrity policy is on airfare refunds this far in advance of the cruise and before final payment time.

In any event, you would pay the current cost of a ticket if you buy a one now.

Like others have it is unlikely the name on the ticket can be changed but perhaps posting on the Cruise Air section of this forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128 would provide some recommendations/suggestions.

If you do post there be sure to include the Airline and as many details about the ticket (including whether or not it was purchased through Choice Air) in case there are variables that can help you out.

You also don't mention what the "unforeseen circumstances" are but if they are medical in nature there is a chance there may also be an option to see if the Credit Card used to purchase the airfare has any coverage (mine does for medical reasons). Good luck.

I agree with Rick that this query should be posted on the Cruise/Air forum. There are posters over there (Globaliser/Flyertalker/Keith1010) who seem to know everything about flying. It's the first place I look if I need advice about flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To the person that paid to add "jr" to their ticket - that was totally unnecessary. Your ticket simply must match your first and last name on your passport. You wasted your money.

OP - you already got the correct advice in the first answer to your post.

This person needs to purchase their own ticket. You can't change the name on the non-traveling person's ticket.

OP needs to check with his airline. There are a (very) few number of airlines which allow transfer of a ticket to another passenger for a fee. Interject is one. I think spirit used to allow it. Its rare but worth checking

Not very helpful though when the pax is flying to Singapore. I've never heard of Interject, but Spirit certainly doesn't fly there, LOL.