Oasis - best things to do 1st day onboard

tolg

The family and I will be cruising on Oasis next summer and we are wondering what all is available to do the first few hours onboard. Obviously we will want to walk around and check out the ship, but what else do you all suggest? What restaurants are open for lunch? Is the pool packed at that time? What are your favorite first things to do or places to go?

Go to guest services to pick up adult & kid Compass for Day 1/Daily Planner for =oasis%20of%20the%20seas%7Ctyped"]Oasis of the Seas. There may be an activity of interest. I think you may need socks for some activities.It will also show dining venues and hours of operation. Putt-Putt, Flo Rider, Rock Climbing, Ping Pong, Basketball /Sports Court may also be options.

The family and I will be cruising on Oasis next summer and we are wondering what all is available to do the first few hours onboard. Obviously we will want to walk around and check out the ship, but what else do you all suggest? What restaurants are open for lunch? Is the pool packed at that time? What are your favorite first things to do or places to go?

Since your new to Cruise Critic and probably the Oasis class ship, join your roll cal and spend the next few months discussing it with people who will be on your cruise. Let us know your sail date if you want help finding your roll call.

• 9 months later...
Go to the boardwalk.Ride the carousel

After taking a look at the the crowds in the Windjammer thats exactly what we did, then grabbed a hot dog and some drinks and sat in the quiet Aqua theatre for lunch.

Does anyone know what time the zip line opens on embarkation day?

When we were on Oasis last Fall it was open by 1:00 for sure. Someone else had recommend doing it on boarding day and it was great advice. No wait at all. In fact we rode it 3 times in a row with no waits in between. While later in the week we were able to ride it again, there were waits of 10-20 minutes.

Since your new to Cruise Critic and probably the Oasis class ship, join your roll cal and spend the next few months discussing it with people who will be on your cruise. Let us know your sail date if you want help finding your roll call.

Found OP's roll call on June 24, 2018. Lots of people but not very welcoming to the newbies (IMO), so I created an informal roll call for them (might help?). Looks like they also have a blog on that "other site", so maybe that's where most of them are posting. Hope I did not over-step,:o just trying to help out the newbies to CC!! Quite a long list actually but I'm retired and DH says I've got nothing to do anyway!;p

Found OP's roll call on June 24, 2018. Lots of people but not very welcoming to the newbies (IMO), so I created an informal roll call for them (might help?). Looks like they also have a blog on that "other site", so maybe that's where most of them are posting. Hope I did not over-step,:o just trying to help out the newbies to CC!! Quite a long list actually but I'm retired and DH says I've got nothing to do anyway!;p

Nice job Sal. We were all new once.

TOLG, check out the recent review of the Oasis with a young family on this same forum. It was very informative.

We make reservations at spa, theatres and if not complete, specialty restaurant and shore x- reservations. We also of course unpack and get settled in our cabin. We typically enjoy Johnny Rockets for lunch- unless in a suite then go to the suite restaurant- Have our first drink onboard. If we have a scheduled dining time- check the table- we have been incorrectly seated with people even if we requested a table for two, so we make sure that the seating is correct. If with kids- they are anxious to go to the rock climbing walls, and all other kid type activities. Our goal is just to enjoy and relax!!

We then enjoy walking around the ship.

Best thing to do on day 1 is to take it easy and chill out.

I organise my first day around the following must do activities :

Explore ship to get my bearings.

Grab something to eat.

Unpack.

Muster drill.

Enjoy the tranquillity of my room if it is a balcony or better.

Might seem boring but I find it better to ease myself in and sort out any requirements like dinning arrangements.

Walk around the deck with binoculars to check out the views.

Make reservations for dining.

Lunch in the Solarium is less busy than other areas, ....and healthier. ;)

Read through the cruise compass.

Find some coffee.

Check into the cabin and longingly look down the hallway for your luggage to arrive. :o

And the very best thing....a glass of wine on the balcony at sail away. :D

Find a seat somewhere and just watch people, that way you miss the first day pushing and shoving while others walk around. In my experiences the first day is the worst for crowds.

We go to either the pub or the Schooner bar. These places are great for people watching. If you get a seat at the pub you can see all the people as they come on board. It reminds me of seeing people walk around NYC, staring and pointing at all there is to see.

Tell you what we do when we board a new ship (for us) for the first time. We always try to board early. Once on board we go find a place to eat. On Oasis class ships, cafe promenade and central park cafe are good bets. Have a drink. Relax and de-stress and from the boarding process then go to our room to unpack. Once that is done we go have another drink to de-stress from wondering if our bags will make it to our room and the unpacking process. Then its off to a sail away party for more drinks. That pretty much amounts to the first few hours aboard ship.

Hey SilkySal! Roll Calls are hard work, especially if it's a slow roll call - trying to fire people up and plan activities - but it can be a LOT of fun (like the last one I pitched in on (Navigator in March). I say anything you did is AWESOME. One thing you can do is post to both sites - tell them where the organization material is (if there's a spreadsheet or whatever), and how to sign up for the Meet N' Mingle, etc. It is hard work. I work full time, so I opted NOT to fire up my Oasis roll call for next month. It was a hard decision, but I"m really tired . . . No WORRIES you are AWESOME to help!