re meat pies

41 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Pretty much the same. Tomato sauce on plain pie, nothing on other flavours.

No chicken pies as I don’t like white goo.

On pasties, I go with Worcestershire. 

It depends how you flavour the white goo! 🤣

I do a nice baked ravioli sometimes, layered with passata, then topped with white goo aka bechamel sauce, then lots of cheese. Comfort food at it's best! The white goo adds a level of creaminess to balance the acidity of the passata.

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

How do Aldi pies compare with quality local bakeries?

One of the better frozen pies, but give me a good bakery any day 

I divide pies into

Bakery

Franchise Outlets (Harry’s, Garlos, Pie Face, Heatherbrae etc), even though they may not be an actual franchise

Frozen

normally in that order but you can find say a bakery that isn’t as good as some frozen, but a good bakery will always b3 better than a good frozen, just my opinion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

One of the better frozen pies, but give me a good bakery any day 

I divide pies into

Bakery

Franchise Outlets (Harry’s, Garlos, Pie Face, Heatherbrae etc), even though they may not be an actual franchise

Frozen

normally in that order but you can find say a bakery that isn’t as good as some frozen, but a good bakery will always b3 better than a good frozen, just my opinion.

I’ve never bought a frozen pie.  Only hot pies from bakeries.  Favourite pie and mushy peas added under the top.  Cornish Pasties are the best!

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

How do Aldi pies compare with quality local bakeries?

The gourmet range are great, and I would say better than most. Also much cheaper and much easier when at home, having them in the freezer for whenever needed.

The regular pies, not bad but not great either.

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The gourmet range are great, and I would say better than most. Also much cheaper and much easier when at home, having them in the freezer for whenever needed.

The regular pies, not bad but not great either.

I might try one on holidays.

On 4/16/2023 at 4:52 PM, MicCanberra said:

I have tomato sauce on a plain meat pie and sometimes bbq sauce on a plain chicken but otherwise if the pies have a particular flavour or other additions ( curry, mushroom, potato, etc) no sauce as I want to taste the pies flavours fully.

I really enjoy pies without any sauce at all, but I always add tomato sauce to sausage rolls.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It depends how you flavour the white goo! 🤣

I do a nice baked ravioli sometimes, layered with passata, then topped with white goo aka bechamel sauce, then lots of cheese. Comfort food at it's best! The white goo adds a level of creaminess to balance the acidity of the passata.

I agree, Julie.  A silky, buttery bechamel, with a fresh bay leaf flavouring the added milk, is far from “white goo”.  It’s exquisite when added to vegetables such as cauliflower, zucchini, etc., and without it, lasagne would be just flavoured pasta.  Your idea of substituting ravioli sounds delicious.

On 4/16/2023 at 3:13 PM, GUT2407 said:

Getting serious into planning our Road trip later in the year

Newcastle

Ballina

Tenterfield

Gunnedah

Blue mountains 

probably 14 or 15 days

Pie stop suggestions??

Can’t help with pie stops, but your road trip will be a scenic adventure

On 4/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, NSWP said:

Originally made in Argentina, but now made in UK and Australia.  In UK you can get chicken ones as well. Fray Bentos is a town/area in Argentina where the meat canning began. Argentina is a wonderful place, spent a couple of weeks there in 2016.  Great meat.

275669577_10160963370528274_581224524216057675_n.thumb.jpg.30cd44af4bb392fa874bef19d2273d33.jpg

That’s a meat lovers Barbie!! And not a single piece of eggplant in sight 😳

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 3:13 PM, GUT2407 said:

Getting serious into planning our Road trip later in the year

Newcastle

Ballina

Tenterfield

Gunnedah

Blue mountains 

probably 14 or 15 days

Pie stop suggestions??

Can’t help re up north, but when your down here, there’s a Harry’s at the Panthers club in Penrith!!

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

I agree, Julie.  A silky, buttery bechamel, with a fresh bay leaf flavouring the added milk, is far from “white goo”.  It’s exquisite when added to vegetables such as cauliflower, zucchini, etc., and without it, lasagne would be just flavoured pasta.  Your idea of substituting ravioli sounds delicious.

It's a cheat dish using frozen ravioli - I like the Pastabilities ones. Relatively quick to make and ideal comfort food for chilly days.

By the way, did you know you can deep fry ravioli, from frozen. They make a good finger food with a sauce to dip them in. I haven't done them in years but something I read the other day reminded me about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Can’t help re up north, but when your down here, there’s a Harry’s at the Panthers club in Penrith!!

That is one of our possibles as night in Windsor is on the cards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I really enjoy pies without any sauce at all, but I always add tomato sauce to sausage rolls.

As do I Linda. I don't find sauce is needed at all, usually enough gravy/sauce in the pie. Whereas sausage rolls need tomato sauce. Our twelve year old grandson rode his bike to visit us last Thursday, about a 25 minute ride from his home. He stayed for lunch (and afternoon tea). I had homemade sausage rolls in the freezer so heated them up. GS ate ten! And so much sauce! Just as well I had decided to have soup, as there wouldn't have been enough for the three of us. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

As do I Linda. I don't find sauce is needed at all, usually enough gravy/sauce in the pie. Whereas sausage rolls need tomato sauce. Our twelve year old grandson rode his bike to visit us last Thursday, about a 25 minute ride from his home. He stayed for lunch (and afternoon tea). I had homemade sausage rolls in the freezer so heated them up. GS ate ten! And so much sauce! Just as well I had decided to have soup, as there wouldn't have been enough for the three of us. 

My friends all complained how much their boys ate as they watched my girls share one meal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What luxury to have grandmas home made sausage rolls!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What a heartwarming family scene that evokes, Leigh.  He had a perfect excuse for demolishing ten...that's a long ride for a sub-teen😉   How lovely for you that he rode that distance to see you both, and how welcoming are home-made sausage rolls😋   What magic did you produce for afternoon tea?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Exercise makes you hungry and at 12 years 9ld that makes them ravenous. I used to eat 16 weetbix for beaky at that age.

16, wow you must have been regular Mic.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Just a fairly plain vanilla cake and a packet of Arnott's chocolate royals which were the favourite.

Perfect.  Your grandson will always hold memories of idyllic days at his Gran’s during school holidays, and rest assured, sausage roll and vanilla cake aromas will always take his mind to those days.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Perfect.  Your grandson will always hold memories of idyllic days at his Gran’s during school holidays, and rest assured, sausage roll and vanilla cake aromas will always take his mind to those days.

I did forget to add, a large chocolate milk shake as well when he arrived.

• Like 2