Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

WOW - didn't know they could outrun 130 mile an hour winds. Thanks for the insight.

Just because the wind inside the storm is 130MPH, doesn't mean the storm moves at 130MPH.

Quick search said average hurricane moves at 10-15 knots, most cruise ships goes >20 knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I am pretty certain, RC, whoever they, are have no idea of my existence.

Please show me images of the people of the Liberty who died because of RCI's malveasance?

Do we know each other? I just happened onto a runaway thread, where people are torching things beyond anyone's control and decided to join in for the fun. You, of course, are the perfect objective judge of all reality. I bow in you direction in obedience to your superior point of view......:evilsmile:

JC

Yep, you fit in quite well with your buddies but you may be the leader of the pack. The three amigos who continue to support RC decisions while the vast majority of your peers understand what they did was horrible.

No, I suck at reading every thread. I imagined that nobody would look at the forecast last week and drive to Galveston to take a cruise this past weekend. So, I didn't think there would be any sailings from Galveston. This from a person not taking a cruise this past weekend from Galveston.

I watched the news, and I knew that a hurricane cat 3 (turned out to be a cat 4) would hit the coast Friday night and that it was going to just sit there, and rain and rain and rain. It blows my mind that people who were taking a cruise could imagine that they were going to somehow get on that ship this past weekend.

JC

You thought that and I thought that but if you are only looking at what RCI is telling You? I know because we were going to be on this cruise. They just kept saying over and over - we will turn around on Sunday. Then they said we will dock Sunday and board Monday between 12-3. ( we did get text after text) Only around noon on Sunday did they acknowledge they were not going to get into port and canceled the cruise. I know you don't remember this but YEARS ago you came to my defense when we were on the Ryndam and the autopilot went out and we had quite a list. I thought we were going to tip completely over. I googled "list on the Ryndam" and that is how I found Cruise Critic. My first post so I was a troll. I had photos but had no clue how to post them. You did it for me. There was no news coverage about it. So I know you are a good guy! This would have been our 37th RCI cruise and it won't be our last but they dropped the ball on this one.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Forums mobile app

Media Coverage in Canada:

McIntosh's friend Melanie McGee, who was booked on the same cruise, said the group is unhappy with how Royal Caribbean handled the situation.

"They insisted over and over and over again that they were going to dock on Sunday, that that was going to happen. They absolutely put us into a dangerous situation," McGee said.

Scroll down to Tourists Stranded:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-natives-houston-flooding-1.4265525

Thanks. I am pretty certain, RC, whoever they, are have no idea of my existence.

Please show me images of the people of the Liberty who died because of RCI's malveasance?

Do we know each other? I just happened onto a runaway thread, where people are torching things beyond anyone's control and decided to join in for the fun. You, of course, are the perfect objective judge of all reality. I bow in you direction in obedience to your superior point of view......:evilsmile:

JC

Funny...you are acting like you are "the perfect objective judge of all reality." In my opinion, you are just coming across as a bitter human being who gets enjoyment from belittling other people's opinions, and questioning their decisions because you wouldn't make the same decision. While you, like others, have the privilege to express your thoughts and opinions, you should be considerate of others. You said you wanted to join in on the "fun." If that is you idea of "fun," that's sad.

I just left the show for this evening on Liberty. The cruise director, Drew Devine, just told us that we will clear customs and immigration in the dining room while we are in Miami tomorrow. That means they will get into the port in Galveston and we will be able to walk right off the ship. We will not need customs at all. I don't know how we will be able to leave Galveston once we are there, but we will be off this ship on Friday.

I sure hope that's to help you guys exit quicker and not because they're afraid they won't be able to get custom's agents in from Houston 😳😳

The evolution of the "Galveston Weather" thread is astounding. I followed it from the beginning, but abandoned it early yesterday. Popped back in there once this afternoon. This thread compared to that one is sunshine & rainbows.

And since this thread clearly needs one more opinion, I prefer cruising on RC to some other lines. But, they absolutely dropped the ball on this one & their treatment of EBFURR & every other person who was booked to leave yesterday is absolutely deplorable.

So, you just want those three human beings to die?????? Really.... lovely.:halo:

JC

No, but in this case I would think there were options that could have gotten them to help quicker than sitting offshore from an area where all resources were desperately needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WOW - didn't know they could outrun 130 mile an hour winds. Thanks for the insight. That is the wind speed of the circular movement within the storm. A hurricane normally moves in some direction around 20 MPH, but Harvey was moving about 2 or 3 MPH.

Expected to travel? "Wait and see" means wait and see - aka don't go anywhere. It wasn't rocket science to see that traveling right into the heart of a hurricane area might not just be a good idea, and a change in plans was forthcoming. RCI said to travel to Houston and then wait to see when to proceed to Galveston. So, yes, RCI did say to travel into the storm affected area.

see above in red

I don't understand how any ship would plan on going into Galveston. All the main roads out of there are flooded and closed. Galveston residents are being airlifted out due to no food or supplies.

How are cruise passengers supposed to get off the island?

Since passengers for the next cruise would likely be unable to get to Galveston, instead of current passengers disembarking, RCI may offer great bargain pricing to stay on board for the following cruise.

It says Galveston County residents are being flown out from the City of Galveston, not City of Galveston residents.

Another news article said that about 75% of those being flown out were from the mainland city of Dickinson who had been evacuated to the City of Galveston.

Is the crew still printing out a "Cruise Compass" on a daily basis? if so, these Day 8 and beyond editions would be interesting to look at. Are they still putting on a new show each night? Is the dining room menu being repeated? What is the plan for Miami? Can you get off in port to stretch your legs?

Thanks for any insight!

Did you not see this update:

August 26, 2017

Liberty of the Seas is keeping a safe distance behind the storm and is currently making her way back to Galveston. Our intention is to keep with our original schedule return to Galveston on Sunday. However, because of the path and progression of Hurricane Harvey, the situation remains uncertain and the Port of Galveston remains closed. We ask that guests scheduled to sail on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow not proceed to the port until we let you know it is okay to do so.

We will provide you with another update on August 26 at 9 p.m. CT.

There is a difference between proceeding to the port and proceeding to where you can get to the port on short notice.

If you live within a couple of hours driving distance of Galveston you could stay home and wait for that notification to get to the port.

If you live a plane flight or two away, when the notification comes to proceed to the port it is too late to fly to Houston and then get to the port (this assumes planes are flying and roads to Galveston are OK). That does not even consider the fact that passengers already had flights paid for to get to Houston before any notification to proceed to port would come from RCI.

There really is nothing to do or announce, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX, twitter, FB all told the people that they are not going on a cruise this week....

What do you suggest to those scheduled to fly to Houston for the Sept.3 cruise?

By the way, here is a photo of I45 in Houston, the highway used between IAH and the port.

main_600.jpg?1503935250

What do you suggest to those scheduled to fly to Houston for the Sept.3 cruise?

By the way, here is a photo of I45 in Houston, the highway used between IAH and the port.

main_600.jpg?1503935250

So you're saying the ride from the airport to the ship has been shortened? ;)

No, I suck at reading every thread. I imagined that nobody would look at the forecast last week and drive to Galveston to take a cruise this past weekend. So, I didn't think there would be any sailings from Galveston. This from a person not taking a cruise this past weekend from Galveston.

I watched the news, and I knew that a hurricane cat 3 (turned out to be a cat 4) would hit the coast Friday night and that it was going to just sit there, and rain and rain and rain. It blows my mind that people who were taking a cruise could imagine that they were going to somehow get on that ship this past weekend.

Yet RCI imagined that the cruise would take place up until late afternoon on embarkation day.

KTRK (a Houston TV station) says tonight both airports will be open on Thursday next but statements from the airports themselves say no such thing, just "depends on conditions . . . "

Wow...but not surprised...weather changes in that region have been frequent and nearly impossible to forecast beyond a few hours since last week.

When cruise lines have to adjust to such changes...the negative Neds & Nancys came out in droves to criticize.

Now the same weather-related announced pattern seems to be happening at those airports- so some boo-birds will probably resurface...it's what they do. Pathetic.

Thanks for sharing the local view information- it will help some people on multiple fronts.

Despite all the negativity - a fair number of folks here simply wish for the safe return of all the Liberty passengers. Be safe!

With the forecast and conditions as they are in Houston I'm wondering why the LOS doesn't stay in Miami until the port is truly open. At least people could get off and change their minds about staying on if Galveston is closed for an extended period.

Question for those on board: what are they doing about tips for the staff? Those onboard certainly shouldn't be directly responsible for tipping but hopefully those employees are being made whole in some way.