Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

United has been operating relief missions both to bring in supplies as well as to fly out stranded passengers. Most of the flights are from/to ORD, but some have gone to LAX, EWR, MCO and maybe a few others. These are not regularly scheduled flights.

They would be classified as rescue aircraft - it's about time United got some positive press.

for those monitoring road conditions in Texas google TxDot "Drive Texas" website-great map showing closures, floods etc. I also heard a Houston news report that was surprisingly positive this morning on conditions of Texas roads. I'm on the Liberty right now trying to plan my escape

From RCI web site:

August 30, 2017 @ noon (next update at 7:00p.m. ET)

After departing from PortMiami last night, Liberty of the Seas is on her way back to Galveston, scheduled to arrive on Friday morning, pending port conditions. At this time, the Port of Galveston and the Galveston ship channel remains closed to all traffic per the U.S. Coast Guard. We are in close contact with these authorities to confirm the opening of the Port and Liberty’sfinal arrival into Galveston.

For those guests booked on Liberty’s Sunday, September 3 sailing, we expect that we will sail as scheduled. Please continue to visit our website to get the latest information regarding the status of the Port of Galveston.

For those guests travelling to Liberty, we suggest that you review the latest information on road conditions at the Texas Department of Transportation’s website – http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current.

While George Bush International Airport and Hobby Airport are still closed, the FAA’s latest update states that both airports will reopen tomorrow, Thursday, August 31 at 12:00 p.m. CT. We encourage you to visit www.fly2houston.com for the latest updates.

Just got this text from RC:

S: Important update for your upcoming cruise onboard Liberty of the Seas

Update from Royal Caribbean: Your Liberty of the Seas sailing on 09/03 is currently scheduled to sail as planned. We continue to meet regularly with the Port of Galveston on their reopening, and will send you daily updates at approximately 1 pm EDT. For additional information please visit royalcaribbean.com. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Reply with YES to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the FAA says GBI and Hobby will re-open tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it would be after that for normal service to resume? I don't know but I'd guess the airlines might need a few days to ramp up.

The airlines need to get planes and crews in place. They usually fly all planes out of the area prior to a storm hitting as they don't want planes on the ground damaged by the storm. I assume they have a plan in place.

The airlines need to get planes and crews in place. They usually fly all planes out of the area prior to a storm hitting as they don't want planes on the ground damaged by the storm. I assume they have a plan in place.

No doubt the airlines have a plan since they've gone through similar events before though perhaps not at this scale. I was thinking more of how much time they needed to implement it. Also, to what extent will GBI and Hobby be staffed and how quickly. Being open is one thing - being sufficiently staffed may be quite another.

I imagine someone still trying to make the 9/3 cruise will have some input.

So the FAA says GBI and Hobby will re-open tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it would be after that for normal service to resume? I don't know but I'd guess the airlines might need a few days to ramp up.

What is there to ramp up? The airports are intact. The problems would be employees getting to work (airport) and vendors getting snacks for flights, and stuff like that, but what else do they need to "ramp up"? I imagine that the planes can fly in with snacks and staff if necessary.

JC

I wouldn't think the airports would open unless they have everything they need in place. So, most likely, they plan on having staff in place & equipment ready to go by noon.

I know we've had weather events here in Charlotte where the airport would be closed then open in stages. So "open" did not mean fully operational.

What is there to ramp up? The airports are intact. The problems would be employees getting to work (airport) and vendors getting snacks for flights, and stuff like that, but what else do they need to "ramp up"? I imagine that the planes can fly in with snacks and staff if necessary.

JC

Employees being able to get to work would be part of 'ramp up'. Also, is all the hardware involved in airport operations in working order. Does "open" mean 25% of the runways or all of them?

My own experience isn't in transportation but I have done disaster recovery for large data centers, both practice and real. In those cases there are degrees of readiness. Basic availability may only take a few hours while full operation may take several days.

I think there are parallels and wonder if the FAA saying they are open is the same as being fully operational.

Perhaps someone with experience in the area can comment. I've seen posts from pilots and commercial air operations folks on these threads.

Employees being able to get to work would be part of 'ramp up'. Also, is all the hardware involved in airport operations in working order. Does "open" mean 25% of the runways or all of them?

My own experience isn't in transportation but I have done disaster recovery for large data centers, both practice and real. In those cases there are degrees of readiness. Basic availability may only take a few hours while full operation may take several days.

I think there are parallels and wonder if the FAA saying they are open is the same as being fully operational.

Perhaps someone with experience in the area can comment. I've seen posts from pilots and commercial air operations folks on these threads.

From http://www.fly2houston.com/iah/alerts/ - Note the "phased return to service..." part.

Houston Airports Prepares to Resume Operations After Hurricane Harvey

The Houston Airports plans to resume limited domestic airline passenger service TODAY at 4 p.m. following severe weather caused by Hurricane Harvey. The plan is to begin a phased return to service, with full serice expected by this weekend. Contact your air carrier for specific flight status updates regarding your flight. Only those with a ticket for a confirmed scheduled flight should come to the airport. Many roads around the City of Houston are still unsafe for travel, therefore, we urge all passengers to take their time arriving to the airports and to solidify a safe route to and/or from our facilities.

I got off the Liberty yesterday in Miami. When we got into port Michael Bayley got on board and made an announcement thanking everyone for their good attitudes and patience. He said that they were going to completely provision the ship for its ride back to Galveston. He also said they were loading up all sorts of cleaning supplies and other needed items that would be donated to those in need in the Houston area when they go into port. Glad to be home today and hoping for the best for those still onboard and of course thoughts with those in Texas.

I got off the Liberty yesterday in Miami. When we got into port Michael Bayley got on board and made an announcement thanking everyone for their good attitudes and patience. He said that they were going to completely provision the ship for its ride back to Galveston. He also said they were loading up all sorts of cleaning supplies and other needed items that would be donated to those in need in the Houston area when they go into port. Glad to be home today and hoping for the best for those still onboard and of course thoughts with those in Texas.

Great news about the donation! Can't wait to board the ship come Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Official FAA information https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/ Reopen format is MMDDTTTT Zulu (GMT) time so subtract 5 hours to get Houston time. Example IAH Aug 30 2100Z is Aug 30 1600 (4pm) local time.

BPT=Beaumont

CWF=Lake Charles

GNT=Grants

Hou=Hobby

IAH= Bush Int'l

SGR=Sugarland

TME=Houson Executive

AIRPORT CLOSURES help.gif

ARPT TIME REASON REOPEN

BPT 08292157 WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY 08311400

CWF 08301515 AP CLSD EXCEPT MIL/RELIEF FLTS 08302200

GNT 08281200 AP CLSD EXC HELO OPS 11282359

HOU 08272127 WEATHER / HURRICANE HARVEY 08302100

IAH 08281438 WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY 08302100

SGR 08291805 WEATHER/HURRICANE HARVEY 09012359

TME 08280233 AP CLOSED EXCEPT FOR EMERG RESPONSE ACFT VMC ONLY 08302359

Any idea how many left the ship in Miami?

for those monitoring road conditions in Texas google TxDot "Drive Texas" website-great map showing closures, floods etc. I also heard a Houston news report that was surprisingly positive this morning on conditions of Texas roads. I'm on the Liberty right now trying to plan my escape

Straight up 45 don't stop till you get to Buc ee's