Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Well, unless something changes tonight, no one will be in port at those times. Port of Galveston states daylight hours only right now and sunrise isn't until 6:57.

I think all those times are for the pilot station outside the port.

I no longer buy milk at Shoprite as it turns sour a day or two after I buy it. This has been going on for years and I'm tired of taking it back. That is what led to my milk comment.

I only buy any dairy at Walmart as it will last a bit over a week. I guess we don't get fresh milk here in the eastern mid atlantic. I've never heard of or had any milk last a month. I guess you learn something new every day.

Skimplus has been sold at shoprite forever, lasts forever.

The noon update on the RCI web site:

We received some good news from the Port of Galveston yesterday. The U.S. Coast Guard has opened the Port to vessel traffic in specific areas. Port officials anticipate Liberty of the Seas should be able to return to Galveston on Friday morning.

Houston airports are also slowly getting back up and running. Authorities at George Bush International Airport and Hobby Airport expect to resume full service by this weekend. We will continue to monitor both airports and encourage you to visit www.fly2houston.com for the most up-to-date information.

If you are driving to Galveston, you can check the latest information on road conditions at the Texas Department of Transportation website – http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current.

James Van Fleet, Chief Meteorologist for Royal Caribbean International, continues to keep an eye on the situation in the Galveston/Houston area and below is his most current weather update:

weather-forecast3.jpg

We understand that some guests may not feel comfortable joining the ship on Sunday, September 3, once we arrive to Galveston. If you have any questions about your upcoming Liberty of the Seas sailing, or if you are coping with significant storm impacts that affect your ability to take your cruise, please call us at 1-800-256-6649.

s.gif

Airline schedules, are based on demand for flights, my guess is that the demand for flights to Houston are going to be really low compared to last year. It has nothing to do with logistics, it has everything to do with demand.

Flights to Houston will only return to something resembling normal when Houston is something resembling normal. The flights are a sign of the activity in Houston, they don't exist on their own.

Disagree. Houston is a major hub for UA. I frequently fly to and from Houston as a connection to somewhere else, usually overseas on either a UA flight or one of their partners.

The latest update on RCI's web site:

We are encouraged that Port officials continue to inform us that Liberty of the Seas should be able to return to Galveston on Friday, on time for her September 3 sailing.

George Bush International and Hobby Airport officials expect to be back to full service by this weekend. As always, we will continue to monitor airports in the area and ask that you continue to visit www.fly2houston.com for the most up-to-date information. We also encourage our guests to reach out to their airline for specific flight details.

If you are driving to Port of Galveston, we ask that you check the latest information on road conditions at the Texas Department of Transportation website – http://conditions.drivetexas.org/current.

Below is the latest weather update from James Van Fleet, Chief Meteorologist for Royal Caribbean International:

weather-forecast4.jpg

If you have questions about your upcoming Liberty of the Seas sailing, are dealing with flight cancellations, or are coping with significant storm impacts that affect your ability to take your cruise, please call us at 1-800-256-6649.

If LOS does dock in Galveston Friday, I'm wondering how my 89-year-old father (or anyone else) will drive safely from the Port of Galveston and out of the flooded areas. The DriveTexas.org site doesn't look promising to me. https://drivetexas.org/#/7/30.446/-96.644?future=false

It does not look promising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If LOS does dock in Galveston Friday, I'm wondering how my 89-year-old father (or anyone else) will drive safely from the Port of Galveston and out of the flooded areas. The DriveTexas.org site doesn't look promising to me. https://drivetexas.org/#/7/30.446/-96.644?future=false

None of those on the map are main lanes, even a fool like you could get out of town. Galveston today's like Galveston 10 days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So what's the mood like onboard? How is service with so many fewer guests? Entertainment? Is there one open seating for dinner? I read Van Fleet is onboard for the trip, is he hosting any sessions? Just curious how things operate; this is a very abnormal cruise and I'd enjoy hearing people's unique experiences.

So what's the mood like onboard? How is service with so many fewer guests? Entertainment? Is there one open seating for dinner? I read Van Fleet is onboard for the trip, is he hosting any sessions? Just curious how things operate; this is a very abnormal cruise and I'd enjoy hearing people's unique experiences.

Karen (@internetwhiz on CC) has been periscoping a few times a day every day from this cruise. She has been broadcasting the numerous captain's corners as well. I haven't caught up with her broadcasts in the last day or two but earlier this week she has said they've been taking very good care of the passengers, and there has been plenty of dining and entertainment on this unique, extended cruise. I do believe quite a few people left while docked in Miami on Friday so not sure if anything has changed regarding service due to there being less passengers.

For anyone curious, the captain did say on Monday that although the ship will dock at Galveston on Friday, the current passengers will have the opportunity to stay on board until Sunday if they are concerned about driving through Houston.

Here is one of Karen's broadcasts. Do check out some of her other videos as they have been very informative.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bHdZbDkyNzE5MTV8MXlwS2RsTmFBT3lLV2-_Nfm348gd3Q_vsgpZdHawvbfTg6wDsgJc_3duIX9m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karen (@internetwhiz on CC) has been periscoping a few times a day every day from this cruise. She has been broadcasting the numerous captain's corners as well. I haven't caught up with her broadcasts in the last day or two but earlier this week she has said they've been taking very good care of the passengers, and there has been plenty of dining and entertainment on this unique, extended cruise. I do believe quite a few people left while docked in Miami on Friday so not sure if anything has changed regarding service due to there being less passengers.

For anyone curious, the captain did say on Monday that although the ship will dock at Galveston on Friday, the current passengers will have the opportunity to stay on board until Sunday if they are concerned about driving through Houston.

Here is one of Karen's broadcasts. Do check out some of her other videos as they have been very informative.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bHdZbDkyNzE5MTV8MXlwS2RsTmFBT3lLV2-_Nfm348gd3Q_vsgpZdHawvbfTg6wDsgJc_3duIX9m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks for providing all that information and link

Today's Update...8-31-2017...Getting Into and Out of Galveston......

Gasoline is Fast Becoming Unavailable in Texas..... --

Re: Most places in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Mckinney are out of gasoline. Diesel still widely available. $2.50 is the prevailing price but regular is uniformly out. So $2.90 premium is what you get. I filled up before the hurricane landed. Not sure how the school bus logistics will work, though. --

Modern civilization appears to be very robust but is actually very fragile and depends completely upon readily available gasoline, diesel, electricity, pure water supplies and operating sewer plants.

Remove any one of those key components and chaos happens immediately.

This is why the EMP threat is considered Doomsday. And I absolutely agree that it would be.

Remove any of those components listed above and civilization panics and immediately goes into hysterics.

In San Antonio, we have 2 vehicles. I filled up one yesterday when all was still normal and calm. The other was only half full. So, hearing some news of lines forming I went to the 3 big gas stations near my house. All already had.. no gasoline.

I then went to pick up my grand kids from school to take them to their house.

I am normally gone 1 hour and 15 minutes each day to do this. Today it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most gas stations already have no gas but any that do...then lines immediately form and these gas lines then spill out into the street for blocks and take out a traffic lane, so traffic immediately becomes snarled. Some in line won't make it to the pumps before the gas is depleted.

The school districts all issued alerts to parents and the media that due to traffic jams forming around every gas station still having fuel, kids would be 45-60 minutes late getting home. Er, I saw a school bus still dropping kids at 6:45 pm. And when the bus fuel supplies are depleted???

Home school???

Many here will remember the gas lines of the 1970's...I sure do...today in San Antonio and Dallas were just like that. A friend who travels the rural areas for a car parts dealer said the small towns are already mostly out of fuel because city folks drove out into the country and drained them dry. It is a full blown panic.

I pity anyone who had low gas supplies in any vehicle today after 10 am. That vehicle is now worthless.

Of course the Mayor went on TV and said, "Don't fill up if you don't need gas." Yeah, right.

Soon we will see fill on "alternate days based on plate number" and "no more than 10 gallons per purchase"...watch and see...

Because of the large amount of refinery capacity idled by Harvey...this could spread outside of Texas very soon...

Good luck all...( If you are in Texas and have a vehicle that is not filled to capacity...do that...now.)