Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Today's Update...8-31-2017...Getting Into and Out of Galveston......

Gasoline is Fast Becoming Unavailable in Texas..... --

Re: Most places in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Mckinney are out of gasoline. Diesel still widely available. $2.50 is the prevailing price but regular is uniformly out. So $2.90 premium is what you get. I filled up before the hurricane landed. Not sure how the school bus logistics will work, though. --

Modern civilization appears to be very robust but is actually very fragile and depends completely upon readily available gasoline, diesel, electricity, pure water supplies and operating sewer plants.

Remove any one of those key components and chaos happens immediately.

This is why the EMP threat is considered Doomsday. And I absolutely agree that it would be.

Remove any of those components listed above and civilization panics and immediately goes into hysterics.

In San Antonio, we have 2 vehicles. I filled up one yesterday when all was still normal and calm. The other was only half full. So, hearing some news of lines forming I went to the 3 big gas stations near my house. All already had.. no gasoline.

I then went to pick up my grand kids from school to take them to their house.

I am normally gone 1 hour and 15 minutes each day to do this. Today it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most gas stations already have no gas but any that do...then lines immediately form and these gas lines then spill out into the street for blocks and take out a traffic lane, so traffic immediately becomes snarled. Some in line won't make it to the pumps before the gas is depleted.

The school districts all issued alerts to parents and the media that due to traffic jams forming around every gas station still having fuel, kids would be 45-60 minutes late getting home. Er, I saw a school bus still dropping kids at 6:45 pm. And when the bus fuel supplies are depleted???

Home school???

Many here will remember the gas lines of the 1970's...I sure do...today in San Antonio and Dallas were just like that. A friend who travels the rural areas for a car parts dealer said the small towns are already mostly out of fuel because city folks drove out into the country and drained them dry. It is a full blown panic.

I pity anyone who had low gas supplies in any vehicle today after 10 am. That vehicle is now worthless.

Of course the Mayor went on TV and said, "Don't fill up if you don't need gas." Yeah, right.

Soon we will see fill on "alternate days based on plate number" and "no more than 10 gallons per purchase"...watch and see...

Because of the large amount of refinery capacity idled by Harvey...this could spread outside of Texas very soon...

Good luck all...( If you are in Texas and have a vehicle that is not filled to capacity...do that...now.)

As you said, what was worse in the 70's shortage was when you had to wait hrs in line at gas station and then had a 10 gallon limit. This in the day of 6-10 mpg cars... Hope wont come to that again...

Things to remember the storage tanks at the refineries their not empty.

And some of the refineries are off line, but they have lots and lots of gasoline stored up.

During the storm the refineries were not loading gas trucks, but everyone in Dallas, and San Antonio well, you know still driving their cars filling their tanks up. And once everyone heard the tanks were getting low they did what everyone in Dallas and San Antonio did they ran to the station and top off their tanks, even though they didn't need gas.

Yes Houston did jump the line, and got the gasoline that was slated for your gas station. Give them just a little space the are fighting for their homes and lives. So once the upcoming weekend is over your tanks will be full and you can move on too the next problem.....like

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"And once everyone heard the tanks were getting low they did what everyone in Dallas and San Antonio did they ran to the station and top off their tanks, even though they didn't need gas."

Hey tugboat....how do you know that?

Some ran out of gas in the line .....One of my cars had and still has less than a quarter tank. I looked for 2 hours and gave up.

That car will soon be a static worthless chunk of metal as far as transportation goes.

If this spreads to your area, wherever that is, let us know how you deal with the situation.

"And once everyone heard the tanks were getting low they did what everyone in Dallas and San Antonio did they ran to the station and top off their tanks, even though they didn't need gas."

Some ran out of gas in the line .....One of my cars had and still has less than a quarter tank. I looked for 2 hours and gave up.

That car will soon be a static worthless chunk of metal as far as transportation goes.

If this spreads to your area, wherever that is, let us know how you deal with the situation.

Most of the stations in our town (just outside the DFW metroplex) that ran out yesterday are back open with more fuel available today.

Lines aren't near as long. Guess most filled up in the last two days [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the stations in our town (just outside the DFW metroplex) that ran out yesterday are back open with more fuel available today.

Lines aren't near as long. Guess most filled up in the last two days [emoji12]

Gov Abbot was on the morning shows saying there had been tankers coming in from Oklahoma and Louisiana overnight. Also that the Feds were releasing reserves as well.

My daughters both are GMs at stores here in Charlotte and they're being told by corp to expect shortages to hit later this weekend - just in time for Labor Day. Like I said, "Legal" gouging.

Just checked in for our SWA flights to Dallas tomorrow. early morning, checked I-45 again this morning and all looks good, Liberty is almost docked in Galveston and our hotel in Galveston is open for business. Only concern left is the gas shortage in Dallas which I will tackle when I get there. I cannot wait to meet all of you...we have all truly bonded over this experience!

You don't remember the lines in 1980, if you get out of the major cities they have gas[emoji33]

Houston,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Today's Update...8-31-2017...Getting Into and Out of Galveston......

Gasoline is Fast Becoming Unavailable in Texas..... --

Re: Most places in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Mckinney are out of gasoline. Diesel still widely available. $2.50 is the prevailing price but regular is uniformly out. So $2.90 premium is what you get. I filled up before the hurricane landed. Not sure how the school bus logistics will work, though. --

Modern civilization appears to be very robust but is actually very fragile and depends completely upon readily available gasoline, diesel, electricity, pure water supplies and operating sewer plants.

Remove any one of those key components and chaos happens immediately.

This is why the EMP threat is considered Doomsday. And I absolutely agree that it would be.

Remove any of those components listed above and civilization panics and immediately goes into hysterics.

In San Antonio, we have 2 vehicles. I filled up one yesterday when all was still normal and calm. The other was only half full. So, hearing some news of lines forming I went to the 3 big gas stations near my house. All already had.. no gasoline.

I then went to pick up my grand kids from school to take them to their house.

I am normally gone 1 hour and 15 minutes each day to do this. Today it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most gas stations already have no gas but any that do...then lines immediately form and these gas lines then spill out into the street for blocks and take out a traffic lane, so traffic immediately becomes snarled. Some in line won't make it to the pumps before the gas is depleted.

The school districts all issued alerts to parents and the media that due to traffic jams forming around every gas station still having fuel, kids would be 45-60 minutes late getting home. Er, I saw a school bus still dropping kids at 6:45 pm. And when the bus fuel supplies are depleted???

Home school???

Many here will remember the gas lines of the 1970's...I sure do...today in San Antonio and Dallas were just like that. A friend who travels the rural areas for a car parts dealer said the small towns are already mostly out of fuel because city folks drove out into the country and drained them dry. It is a full blown panic.

I pity anyone who had low gas supplies in any vehicle today after 10 am. That vehicle is now worthless.

Of course the Mayor went on TV and said, "Don't fill up if you don't need gas." Yeah, right.

Soon we will see fill on "alternate days based on plate number" and "no more than 10 gallons per purchase"...watch and see...

Because of the large amount of refinery capacity idled by Harvey...this could spread outside of Texas very soon...

Good luck all...( If you are in Texas and have a vehicle that is not filled to capacity...do that...now.)

"There is no sign of a physical shortage yet," said Dan McTeague, senior analyst at GasBuddy.com. "I think it's more of a logistical problem."

It is a sentiment that Railroad Commissioner Ryan Sitton echoed.

He said he understands that it is scary for people.

"Sitton said even if those refineries were able to produce the 2 million barrels of gas per day they usually do, the current issues would exist.

Sitton said that some gas stations are running out of fuel due to a "social media-driven hysteria."

Sitton said what’s happening is, after people see posts on social media, they are rushing to get gas at stations and draining their supply."

Hey tugboat....how do you know that? Are you telling me when you heard Dallas was running out of gas everyone you knew didn't jump up in a panic and headed to a station to top off.

We have a Dallas office or should I say Sunnyvale, that is exactly what everyone in that office did. Come On Man

Houston

We have a saying in my home from June to November each year or Hurricane season(A Half a tank is a Empty Tank, A Full Tank is a Happy Tank

Unfortunately, with the closure of the Colonial pipeline we can only expect to see more flight cancellations at least from the Northeast. Here in Charlotte we're already seeing lines at the pumps with prices having increased by around 60 cent in the past week. "Legal" gouging.

There won't be any flight cancellations. The points at where the pipelines unload fuel have large storage tanks. Many were at high ends of capacity. Usually there is a week and a half to two weeks of fuel there as long as there is no rush to top off tanks. Here is a good article on the issue:

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2017-08-31/harvey-colonial-pipeline-cutoff-the-southeast-can-take-it

It's a delivery issue from the terminals right now. Not the pipeline. Everyone is rushing to get gas making the shortage. Pipeline is supposed to be back up on Sunday or Monday.

Man people are acting likes it's the end of the world here. There is plenty of gas. The tankers are getting here. If people would just relax and not think they have to fill up every vehicle and spare gas can they have lying around this would hardly be an issue.

I'm also the guy who never lets his vehicle get below 3/4 tank so I don't need fuel. My motorcycle was also already filled so I was ok there. I'll be fine till normalcy returns. I'm not buying in to the mass hysteria. People who I thought were fairly intelligent here at work are panicking. Every station I passed this morning and last night had gas. And a fair amount if cars in line. I'm in the Fort Worth area.

I'll bet it's the chemtrails fault.

Not everyone in DFW ran out to buy gas. I had 3/4 a tank starting the week and I'm just under that now. I saw the crazy lines yesterday with some paying $3.99/gallon when it was $2.14 at the start of the day (which is illegal in Texas and they will be fined).

HEB got 2 deliveries yesterday and another this morning. No lines to fuel up when I came to work. So the folks that panicked and paid double are probably a little upset this morning when the price is $2.34 and there's no 45 minute to 1 hour wait.

A lot of the smaller mom & pop stores had gas this morning as well.

It is definitely media/social media driven. There is plenty of gas just give them a minute to get deliveries made before you run out to top off your tank with gas you really don't need right this very second.

I don't want to diminish the loss, pain, suffering and even death associated with Harvey, but to have been on board Liberty this past week must have been quite an adventure for all involved. Everyone involved has a story to tell for many years. This was way more than a vacation.

Hopefully, I'll be on next week and can ask the crew what they thought of the experience, although for them, one day on board is pretty much like another.

Thanks Pharaoh for posting the link to Karen's Peri, I just don't navigate Periscope well, can't seem to ever get the vids to play for me.

Boy do I wish we could have taken advantage of the low pricing and be with Tug and others on the next cruise...would love to hear the Eagles tribute band.

Hopefully the gas shortage will be short lived. I did see a tanker pull up to Kroger to refill.

It was a bit of hysteria here in the Dallas area. I added to it filling one car and then the other. However I am an RN and I must get to work and have a commute of 35 miles each way. I can make about 4 1/2 trips on a tank. If it lasts a week I needed both cars full so I can care for ICU patients.

Yesterday was my day off. Most stations were closed. The first car I waited 45 min and paid $2.39. The second car I waited at another station for 45 min and two cars to go they ran out. The third station I found open moved a bit quicker at 30 min wait but the price jumped to $2.69.

The DH and I have a plan for the week in case this continues where he will work from home and save the gas the me. I've made one trip for groceries and that will be it for a week. We plan to watch movies and eat from the freezer.

Hopefully this will shortage will be brief. I feel for those who need to travel as it may be tough.

The weekend we got married in 1979 was the worst weekend for that gas shortage. We had no out of town guests as all the stations were closed. Our wedding ended up being pretty small. However we are very happily married all the same. This too shall pass.

Edited by cruiselvr04

You can conserve your gas by keeping your revs under 2,000 rpm, reduce your AC usage, brake and accelerate more softly. Tips learned from when gas was over $5 a gallon back in early 08!

I feel your pain.

It's just under $7 a gallon in Scotland and the wages are certainly not higher to compensate