When did Princess become so expensive?

YellowDog

I realize that the prices for all things go up, but it seems that Princess cruises have really skyrocketed in the last few years. I really like Princess and have been on 4 of its ships and Id like to go back...but its become very pricey. I used to be able to get balcony rooms for around or even under $1000 pp for 7 days, now they seem to start at $1500. What's changed I wonder? Its a shame.

I realize that the prices for all things go up, but it seems that Princess cruises have really skyrocketed in the last few years. I really like Princess and have been on 4 of its ships and Id like to go back...but its become very pricey. I used to be able to get balcony rooms for around or even under $1000 pp for 7 days, now they seem to start at $1500. What's changed I wonder? Its a shame.

I think you will see that this is the case with all of the cruise lines. Overall though, the price of a cruise vacation is still reasonable for what you get versus a land vacation. It is still a great bargain for us.

BTW, I booked my son and his new bride on the Regal for this January in a balcony cabin for $899 per person (not including taxes and port fees) so you can still get reasonably priced balconies.

The economy is improving. People are getting jobs and raises. Less uncertainty in peoples lives. All result in more money to spend on things like cruises. More demand, higher prices.

Like hotels, sports events, etc. cruise lines are now driven by dynamic pricing. They work to find the "sweet" spot where rooms are booked at the highest return. If things are not booking, prices fall but if booking is steady they may even rise.

i've thought the same thing recently. its got me looking at other cruise lines for australia/ new zealand which all seem to be less expensive. the biggest drawback to booking those? they're not princess. ugh. i sure have a new appreciation for princess' website after checking out others!

Princess is cheap and easy to ride. You can ride her for under $ 100 a night. She gives veterans a discount. She been around for a long time but still looks good. Yes, she is owned by someone but she's truly her own. Pay what she asks and she will be around for many more years. :evilsmile:

Yes, Princess Cruises.

At the last quarterly earnings report, the CEO of Carnival Corp., owner of Princess and others, report that their sales for the next 9 months were ahead of last year at average prices above last year. Why lower prices if sales are great?

Besides supply and demand. a lot depends on the ships. The Royal , Regal and Pacific are higher prices then the rest in the same time period.

The economy is improving. People are getting jobs and raises. Less uncertainty in peoples lives. All result in more money to spend on things like cruises. More demand, higher prices.

What I fine strange is reports like "Seventy-eight percent of full-time workers said they live paycheck to paycheck, up from 75 percent last year"

Are these people just sailing with using a credit card?

If so, it's sad. :(

I think you will see that this is the case with all of the cruise lines. Overall though, the price of a cruise vacation is still reasonable for what you get versus a land vacation. It is still a great bargain for us.

BTW, I booked my son and his new bride on the Regal for this January in a balcony cabin for $899 per person (not including taxes and port fees) so you can still get reasonably priced balconies.

Yep, I've noticed NCL has risen as well. Im glad to hear that there are deals to still be had out there. My DW and I have always liked Princess and are looking to go back. We've enjoyed NCL and MSC also (frankly, Ive never met a cruise I didn't like)

What I fine strange is reports like "Seventy-eight percent of full-time workers said they live paycheck to paycheck, up from 75 percent last year"

Are these people just sailing with using a credit card?

If so, it's sad. :(

That's incredible! One should always use surplus cash generated from assets to pay for ALL vacations, including cruises.

Never use your hard earned money!

In 2012 we took the 28-day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in a full suite and the fare was $9,098.

In 2017 we are taking the same cruise again in a full suite and the fare is $11,459.

That is only a $472 per year increase in fare over that 5 year period.

Considering how the economy has improved, I don't think that is unreasonable.

Also, Princess has added 3 new big and expensive ships to its fleet that must be paid for.

That's incredible! One should always use surplus cash generated from assets to pay for ALL vacations, including cruises.

Never use your hard earned money!

Ever visit the real world? While we don't book cruises we can't pay for flatly stating that everybody has "surplus cash from assets" strikes me as naive. When we were younger we had to budget very carefully but still took vacations with our kids. No, we didn't cruise but we did need to do things as a family.

In 2012 we took the 28-day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in a full suite and the fare was $9,098.

In 2017 we are taking the same cruise again in a full suite and the fare is $11,459.

That is only a $472 per year increase in fare over that 5 year period.

Considering how the economy has improved, I don't think that is unreasonable.

Also, Princess has added 3 new big and expensive ships to its fleet that must be paid for.

this, prices go up, you can not reasonably expect the prices to remain static forever.

Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" to understand better how to make your money work for you!

It was a commentary on the fact that most people don't have surplus cash to pay for anything in this world. The financial world travels around on people spending money they don't have. Cruise ships would be empty,. if people didn't spend their hard earned money.

BTW: There are better books to read on the subject.

Back in 2015, we snagged a "spring break" cruise on Royal Princess for $629pp for a balcony. She had only been sailing for a few months and was gorgeous! I think we must have scored this deal because our school system was a week or two ahead of most in the area. I think we embarked on March 30th. Would do that trip again in a heartbeat and i think our break is "early" again this school year. I'll be on the lookout for deals.