Wristbands - Any word on NCL using them?

SuiteCruiser

What does RFID stand for? I hate acronyms.

Radio-frequency identification (RFID) uses electromagnetic fields to automatically identify and track tags attached to objects. The tags contain electronically stored information. Passive tags collect energy from a nearby RFID reader's interrogating radio waves.

Can't they just place a chip in the back of our hand?:evilsmile:

I personally don't like them, I don't need Disney to track me and find out how long I stay at any venue or shop on any of their properties. Way too much Big Brother in that wristband.

Radio-frequency identification (RFID) uses electromagnetic fields to automatically identify and track tags attached to objects. The tags contain electronically stored information. Passive tags collect energy from a nearby RFID reader's interrogating radio waves.

Can't they just place a chip in the back of our hand?:evilsmile:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/07/24/wisconsin-company-install-rice-sized-microchips-employees/503867001/

Sent from my SM-S765C using Forums mobile app

Anyway the point remains that wrist bands are a PITA and many will not use them. In the end they will be more of a pain then they are worth.

A few years from now there is the possibility that the bands will be your only choice and cards will be obsolete.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I use a lanyard with a plastic pouch to carry my room card and a schedule. Sixthman gives them out on their cruises and I love them. Some people put pins on them (like disney pin lanyards - people custom make pins for the cruise and then trade them with others). If I get tired of having it around my neck, I loop it through a belt loop to have it hang down or stuck into my pocket.

I wear a fitbit, but that's by choice, and I have a custom band on it that I much prefer to the standard. I would not want to wear a required wristband all week, especially if it couldn't be removed for a shower.

A few years from now there is the possibility that the bands will be your only choice and cards will be obsolete.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I will agree with you. Even hotels are moving away from key cards. They are moving to RFID so you can use your phone as the room key. As that starts to take off there will be less of a demand for cards which will cause them to be the next VHS.

I don't see it happening in the next 5 years but odds are 10-15 years from now and key cards may be a rare thing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

You don't need RFID to be tracked. Many security cameras can do that today. Facial recognition is used and they can do the same thing. Same goes for your cell phones. Wifi and Bluetooth are also tracked even if you do not connect.

You would be surprised how many places use those two technologies for market research of their customers as well as traffic flows. Some airports track every person that walks past an airport shop or restaurant and then they set the rent they charge based on these traffic flows.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

No, I wouldn't be surprised at all, as that's my field of work. :rolleyes: I'm thinking maybe you meant to reply to someone else's post? Weird.

Wristbands are both good and bad. Good is that you have a way to keep your key and charge for drinks when swimming or doing other activities where you don't have a good place to keep a card. Plus, really nice when you have your hands full and need to unlock the door. Mostly quick and easy to pay with if the technology is done right and maintained.

Bad is the "tourist" look off the ship. I would do what I do at Disney, keep it in my pocket when off Disney property. Also, the real dirty trick with these things, it appears you may be more likely to impulse buy when you aren't pulling out your card/wallet. Also less stumbling for buying that fourth drink (some may consider this a pro).

I'd rather have the RFID wristband than a card and lanyard. But everyone is different.

On my recent RCI cruise, the suites were provided with wrist bands that worked as our key cards. You could also buy them at guest services for $5.

It was really convenient especially at the pool and I never used my key card.

I know MSC also has them, has anyone heard of NCL adding them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would be great, I'd take wristbands over lanyards any day.

Having to carry a hand bag around or making sure you have pockets JUST because of the cruise card is really annoying.

What does having a card on a lanyard have to do at all with a hand bag? Wrist bands are annoying as hexx and are a real PITA.

If you hate lanyards (like me, it's enough to wear it at work), then your only options are to carry your cruise card in your pocket or on a hand bag.

Happy cruising!

If you hate lanyards (like me, it's enough to wear it at work), then your only options are to carry your cruise card in your pocket or on a hand bag.

Happy cruising!

I really agree with this, I should never use a lanyard. Since I don't use a handbag the pocket is my only option.

I don't mind to have my card in a pocket but sometimes it's good not to have to bring the card, for example when using the pool, and then a wristband is a better alternative, I think.

Or carry it in your hand

Or clip it to a belt loop

Or use an arm band

Or a phone case with a credit card slot

Or ...

I wish I could, but:

- if i carry around in my hands I'll forget it/lose it somewhere every 5 min.

- I don't wear belts on cruises, lol

- if i can go for an armband, well, i might as well go for the wrist band

- Don't have a phone that requires a phone case.

Appreciate the creativity though [emoji4]

Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums