The recurring tonic question! Anyone on Journey now?

gymfreak

Silent Pool was available on our British Isles cruise last August.

I understand it's considered premium, but I come from a background of complete and utter ignorance. I'm certain others will provide any necessary correction.

Yes, Silent Pool is definitely considered premium gin nordski. Don't know how I missed it on Journey in October....but then there is still the issue of the tonic!

Have you ever heard this quote from Winston Churchill?

"The Gin and Tonic has saved more Englishman's lives and minds than all the Doctors in The Empire".

Bearing in mind my occupation I think I might agree! 😄

On our most recent Quest cruises the standard gins were Gordon's and Beefeater. Has this changed?

On our (one and only) X cruise last year Bombay Sapphire was one of the standard gins which was wonderful.

I bought our first bottle of Silent Pool in Waitrose today. The Fever Tree people recommend drinking it with their Elderflower Tonic.

So, if Azamara doesn't come through in Costa Rica I will be sailing on Viking to Greenwich later next year. Viking's gin offerings are even worse than AZ, but we will be spending 10 days in England after the cruise and I will make a point of finding a bar with Silent Pool and VT Elderflower. This shouldn't be hard in London, right? [We're staying at the Doubletree Victoria Station]

On our most recent Quest cruises the standard gins were Gordon's and Beefeater. Has this changed?

On our (one and only) X cruise last year Bombay Sapphire was one of the standard gins which was wonderful.

I bought our first bottle of Silent Pool in Waitrose today. The Fever Tree people recommend drinking it with their Elderflower Tonic.

The Quest standard Gin offerings have not changed as of the sailing ending Nov 20, 2017. You have to upgrade to get Bombay Sapphire.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Quest standard Gin offerings have not changed as of the sailing ending Nov 20, 2017. You have to upgrade to get Bombay Sapphire.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using

Tapatalk

I think Bombay Sapphire is very much a basic gin. As for Gordon's and Beefeater....well they are as unpalatable to me as Cutty Sark whisky is to a Premium malt whisky drinker! Yes, I fully admit I am a Gin Snob! :D

Jazz, you won't have any trouble getting FT in London. Silent Pool is rarer but I'm sure you will find it somewhere.

Yes, Silent Pool is definitely considered premium gin nordski. Don't know how I missed it on Journey in October....but then there is still the issue of the tonic!

Have you ever heard this quote from Winston Churchill?

"The Gin and Tonic has saved more Englishman's lives and minds than all the Doctors in The Empire".

Bearing in mind my occupation I think I might agree! 😄

That is indeed a surprising quote, as I never knew Churchill as an admirer of gin. Thanks for providing it. I believe he also stated, "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

As for your professional assessment, I have already acknowledged your superior judgement, at least in matters literary.

And further, to reference another authority, apparently we might ascribe the longevity of the late Queen Mother to a combination of gin and Dubonnet.

Therefore, it is hard to imagine there could be a dissenting opinion on this matter.

It is extremely curious as to how we in the colonies lost our way. However with the guidance of you and others on this forum perhaps there is hope for redemption! :)

And I will certainly endorse the call for a proper tonic.

That is indeed a surprising quote, as I never knew Churchill as an admirer of gin. Thanks for providing it. I believe he also stated, "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

As for your professional assessment, I have already acknowledged your superior judgement, at least in matters literary.

And further, to reference another authority, apparently we might ascribe the longevity of the late Queen Mother to a combination of gin and Dubonnet.

Therefore, it is hard to imagine there could be a dissenting opinion on this matter.

It is extremely curious as to how we in the colonies lost our way. However with the guidance of you and others on this forum perhaps there is hope for redemption! :)

And I will certainly endorse the call for a proper tonic.

Have you visited the Royal Yacht in Leith (Edinburgh)?

The bar there certainly seems to testify to the Queen Mother's preference for gin and Dubonnet. We attempted to prepare this for some US friends on Azamara a few years ago ... they were not at all impressed!

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would take some time to say that I survived my first Azamara Quest TA with Diet Canada Dry tonic and Beefeater Gin. For variety I also drank Mount Gay Rum & Diet Coke and I loved the Rose wine they had. I have been detoxing over the past week or so and have almost returned to normal. If any of you are one Quest soon, say hello to Dale and Ruby for me. [emoji16]

Denise

Denise...I don't think I told you on board but I did find Fever Tree (just the plain one) here at my local supermarket...expensive but it DOES really taste different! Now I need to check around to see if I can find it for a lesser price!! :) LuAnn

Have you visited the Royal Yacht in Leith (Edinburgh)?

The bar there certainly seems to testify to the Queen Mother's preference for gin and Dubonnet. We attempted to prepare this for some US friends on Azamara a few years ago ... they were not at all impressed!

We did visit the Royal Yacht, a visit made quite accessible by our berth in Leith. But we failed to notice the detail that you note.

We would love to return to delightful Edinburgh. I’m certain that we could learn so much more.

Especially about drinking and appreciating G&T’s. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Denise...I don't think I told you on board but I did find Fever Tree (just the plain one) here at my local supermarket...expensive but it DOES really taste different! Now I need to check around to see if I can find it for a lesser price!! :) LuAnn
Hi LuAnn,

It seems that while we were cruising the Amazon price for FT tonic has increased. [emoji45]

Denise

Hi LuAnn,

It seems that while we were cruising the Amazon price for FT tonic has increased. [emoji45]

Denise

Bummer!...do you have "Beverages & More" in NYC?...I thought I might check there....LuAnn

Peter Spanton does an interesting range of tonics. The cardamom one is really nice in a gin and tonic.

If you are not drinking alcohol Seedlip make a couple of non-alcoholic distilled “spirits”. The spiced one makes a good drink with tonic, very similar to a G & T but safe to drink when driving.

Bummer!...do you have "Beverages & More" in NYC?...I thought I might check there....LuAnn
I am not sure, but Whole Foods Market carries it and now it's cheaper there than Amazon. [emoji16]

Denise

I think Bombay Sapphire is very much a basic gin. As for Gordon's and Beefeater....well they are as unpalatable to me as Cutty Sark whisky is to a Premium malt whisky drinker! Yes, I fully admit I am a Gin Snob! :D

Jazz, you won't have any trouble getting FT in London. Silent Pool is rarer but I'm sure you will find it somewhere.

I have to agree with Lottie, Bombay Sapphire it's just over perfumed and designed to disguise a very poor gin, Beefeater I tasted once and never again, Gordon's, I've just moved on.

I spent a few days in Bath last week and frequented the Bath Gin Bar. Fantastic selection of Gins from around the world.

Tried Silent Pool for the first time and loved it. Very impressed to see three of Northern Ireland's gins in stock (Shortcross, Jawbox and Boatyard).

At dinner, on Friday evening I had a conversation with an employee of Coca-Cola who produce Schweppes in the UK,

she had never heard of Royal Club, and was staggered to hear of this thread on CC. I had to turn up CC on her iPhone so could email the thread to Head Office.

Her comment about Fever Tree's impact on the market was interesting "It's really damaged us"

As per the original title of this thread, "Anyone on Journey now" (or Quest for that matter).

What is the Tonic water situation?

Is there any sign of improvement in quality?

Will I still have to bring on my own supplies (Hopefully FT, probably Schweppes) in 3 months time?

[quote name=norn iron;54701127<snip>

At dinner' date=' on Friday evening I had a conversation with an employee of Coca-Cola who produce Schweppes in the UK,

she had never heard of Royal Club, and was staggered to hear of this thread on CC. I had to turn up CC on her iPhone so could email the thread to Head Office.

Her comment about Fever Tree's impact on the market was interesting "It's really damaged us"[/quote]

This comment gives me a golden opportunity to use my favourite word - schadenfreude.:evilsmile:

Thanks to this thread, I actually chose to read an article in this weekend’s press on Isle of Harris Gin.

Not much comment on the appropriate tonic but the story pointed out that, at $80.00 CAD a bottle, it should not be Schweppes. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can I recommend anyone coming to Edinburgh in particular (but anywhere in the UK) they look for Edinburgh Gin. and anyone cruising to Edinburgh who has done everything else Edinburgh could consider a gin tour. It is a gorgeous gin - some of the blended ones are outstanding. I have just enjoyed their Christmas Gin, but my favourite is their rhubarb and ginger liquor gin.

https://www.edinburghgin.com/our-gins

One place you can get a free taste is if you are flying out of Edinburgh and your airline gives you access to the No 1 Lounge they serve it there but you have to ask for it as they will otherwise default to Bombay Sapphire

Can I recommend anyone coming to Edinburgh in particular (but anywhere in the UK) they look for Edinburgh Gin. and anyone cruising to Edinburgh who has done everything else Edinburgh could consider a gin tour. It is a gorgeous gin - some of the blended ones are outstanding. I have just enjoyed their Christmas Gin, but my favourite is their rhubarb and ginger liquor gin.

https://www.edinburghgin.com/our-gins

One place you can get a free taste is if you are flying out of Edinburgh and your airline gives you access to the No 1 Lounge they serve it there but you have to ask for it as they will otherwise default to Bombay Sapphire

Agree wholeheartedly, we have a bottle of Edinburgh Rhubarb and Ginger Gin in the Christmas booze cupboard.;p

Edited by Azamarajunkie
spelling again!

Tesco and Morrison’s are both selling Edinburgh Gin including the Rhubarb & ginger liquor.

We braved going into town for Bath’s Christmas Market came home with some Da Mhile Seaweed Gin and a bottle of our local Bath Gin Company’s Rhubarb Gin, add that to the bottle of Silent Pool we bought on an Amazon Black Friday deal and it’s going to be a good Christmas!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carol and John, I was at Bath Christmas Market very recently. Isn't it just fabulous? But it was very crowded.

We stayed there pre and post a little mini cruise to Bruges on Ventura.

We stayed at The Gainsborough on the way to Southampton and 15 Great Pulteney on the way back. Both lovely hotels, but I much preferred The Gainsborough. Real luxury. I bought Bath Gin too!

Carol and John, I was at Bath Christmas Market very recently. Isn't it just fabulous? But it was very crowded.

We stayed there pre and post a little mini cruise to Bruges on Ventura.

We stayed at The Gainsborough on the way to Southampton and 15 Great Pulteney on the way back. Both lovely hotels, but I much preferred The Gainsborough. Real luxury. I bought Bath Gin too!

Saw on FB you were in Bath, should have let us know we could have met up. Gets very busy during the Christmas Markets so we normally try to avoid it, but thought we would have a day out. Had lunch in Brown’s which was nice, The Ivy is better but couldn’t get a table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums