Hurricane Irma Watch

So Allure was originally supposed to hit San Juan and St. Maarten right? Adventure's departing from San Juan on Saturday, and will be in St. Kitts on the 8th, and back in San Juan on the 9th. I am on the sailing on the 9th. Really interested to see if they make any adjustments to Adventure for tomorrow's sailing. If they don't want Allure in the East, I would think they are concerned about Adventure as well...

The hurricane's expected path comes in around Tuesday/Wednesday. Leaving San Juan on Sunday/Saturday is fine. Going to St. Kitts may not be fine but the storm is still projected to be moving north by northwest.

What's your opinion on FLYING IN on Thursday or Friday though? That is my biggest concern. Looks like relatively high likelihood there will be a hurricane between Miami and San Juan.

This is my first cruise and I have been planning like a crazy person, so I will be particularly bummed if I for some reason can't get into San Juan. Luckily, I did purchase insurance (you only need your plane to run into a truck on the tarmac once, delaying you for three days of your vacation to learn that lesson!). I know it is all speculation now, however as you can tell from my name, I like to know as much as possible and be prepared for any eventuality!

There's really no way to forecast a week out. It's far far too distant because pressure fronts pop up out of nowhere and shift things.

Just be aware that every year, September 10th is literally peak hurricane/tropical storm week:

peakofseason.gif

In any given year, there's a 50% chance of a US hurricane and nearly a 100% chance of a US tropical storm in the region bordering the weeks around September 10th. The airports and cruise companies both know this but unfortunately they can't do much if it hits. Just monitor things ahead of time!

The wife and I will be on the Enchantment on 9/11 out of Miami for the western carribean and I am super worried over this. I, too, am a big planner and have researched ports and booked shore excursions. I really don't care where we go once we get on the ship, just would like to know possible itenerary changes now so I can do some "backup" research. Can someone help me out?

The wife and I will be on the Enchantment on 9/11 out of Miami for the western carribean and I am super worried over this. I, too, am a big planner and have researched ports and booked shore excursions. I really don't care where we go once we get on the ship, just would like to know possible itenerary changes now so I can do some "backup" research. Can someone help me out?

For weather reasons itenaries typically don't get changed until 1-2 days out. There is no way to predict weather this far out. In adddition it depends were the weather is in order to determine changes. If I were a betting man based on when your cruise leaves and the timeline for Irma I would say your itinerary does not change. Landfall is 9/10-9/12 depending on location. This should tell you that the storm will be past any potential east or west Carib ports at that point. Currently it doesn't look like any east/west ports will be directly affected by Irma but that could change. At this time your biggest worry should be getting the cruise started. You should have a better idea were Irma heads on Mon/Tues next week. Right now I would say it's 60% east coast landfall, 30% fish and 10% GOM. GL

Edited by Coopdog08
Add

:evilsmile:

Flying in on 9/8 for Harmony 9/9. We have never been to any of these ports, always sailed out of Galveston so looking forward to it, the only excursion booked so far is Puerto Rico. Hopefully Irma won't cause to many problems for anyone. Our first cruise was Carnival Celebration in 2002 and we followed a hurricane. It was really rough, missed 1 port, have never seen so much vomit all over the place and at times it was like being on a roller coaster but this will be our 7th cruise so I guess that means we still liked it.

Funny you mention Crlebration 2002. We were on that cruise as well. Very rough, our floor stunk so bad but we knew someone who knows the guy that could change rooms for us so we were upgrade to a different suite. I agree with you we were still able to enjoy it and have been on 10 cruises since. Can't wait

PS don't shoot me down for putting these up, as happened when I posted info on Henrey for future Liberty passengers. Some of the locals seemed to think I was making the info up even although I was posting links to the models and trying to help those thinking that they were going to be sailing as models (by this time a few days out) clearly indicated how bad it would get.

Disney Fantasy Sept 9th out of Port Canaveral-Eastern

I just hope we get out-we live in Florida and will be at Disney World on Friday unless we hear something from DCL. We had to miss Castaway Cay last Cruise (Sept 27th Disney Fantasy 2015) because of Hurricaine Joaquin. That one formed while we were in St. John and the ship kept us very informed of what was happening and the changes made to keep us safe. I wonder if we will hear anything from Disney this week? Do the cruise lines typically keep passengers informed of potential changes/cacellations before the cruise? Thanks All...my first time on a thread but I am great full to have you all!

Models are useless this far out. Wait til we're within 4-5 days if you really want to know where the storm is probably going. Posting one or two models isn't a good idea for anyone, even a meteorologist.

Just check out last years's Hurricane Matthew and it's projected and actual path.

Models are useless this far out. Wait til we're within 4-5 days if you really want to know where the storm is probably going. Posting one or two models isn't a good idea for anyone, even a meteorologist.

Just check out last years's Hurricane Matthew and it's projected and actual path.

"Useless"? Really?

They're very valuable when taken in context. Watchfulness and planning is never a bad strategy. You shouldn't encourage people who aren't accustomed to tropical system to view information as "useless".