Hurricane Irma Watch

Hurricane Irma is gaining a lot of strength in the middle of the Atlantic and we are now getting some better models as to where she may be headed, and it may not look good. Of course it is not certain the direct path of the storm, but many models are putting it in line of potential danger. Hopefully the storm heads north and not make any landfall, and hopefully this is all for not. But because this storm now has a realistic possibly of disrupting the lives within the Caribbean and east coast of the US, it is something I believe needs to be watched. It may be early, but that could also mean we can be better prepared with less of a surprise.

Now many of us have cruises booked on RCCL ships. Irma could alter some of those cruises in some way. This is why I am creating this thread. Hopefully, it is all for not. I have a Sept 10th sailing on Allure, so I am watching Irma closely.

Here are some current conditions and productive models of Irma...

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-atlantic-ocean

Now as I always say... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thankfully, Irma is far out in the ocean and we have an early warning of it. Plenty of time to prepare.

Again, I am making this thread for all of us to watch and prepare for Hurricane Irma, and mostly to inform and to keep us cruisers up-to-date on developing situations with our booked cruises and in general.

Thank you🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An informative update from Weather.com/The Weather Channel.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/irma-major-hurricane-atlantic-ocean-intensification

From the article:

This is the first time the name Irma has been used for an Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane. Irma replaced the name Irene after it was retired for the damage it caused in the Bahamas and the U.S. during the 2011 hurricane season.

Let's hope this isn't a trend.

Edited by HallOfPromise

Sailing out of Miami on Sept 8 on the Norwegian Sky to the a Bahamas. Hoping it's not canceled but rerouted. 👍🏼👍🏼

Sharon

Your ports will be changed but you will get out to sea. We are SUPPOSED to go out on 9/11 and I am worried that we won't be able to get out of Miami.

Here is a question for everyone, how bad does it have to get for POM to close?

Your ports will be changed but you will get out to sea. We are SUPPOSED to go out on 9/11 and I am worried that we won't be able to get out of Miami.

Here is a question for everyone, how bad does it have to get for POM to close?

It seems like, after Harvey/Liberty, RC will try to keep going whether the port is closed or not.

I didn't know they could do that.

They can't, they just wouldn't admit it until people had already gotten themselves stranded in Houston trying to get to a port that had been closed for a couple of days, at RC's insistence they would sail as planned.

(I'm supposed to sail RC out of Orlando on the 17th AND Irma is currently aimed at my state for around the time I would be leaving town for the trip, so I'm a little anxious. And yes, I have trip insurance.)

The latest GFS model seems to have Irma coming up the east coast of Florida. It's starting to remind me a lot of Hurricane Floyd if anyone can recall almost devastated the central east coast(Canaveral). If the GFS is correct, it will ride the coast and plow into NC.

Going on Disney dream 9/4-9/8 to Bahamas's really wishing they change to Jamaica or somewhere else

We agree, but wish it was a permanent change. Unfortunately it's our understanding as part of the lease agreement for Castaway Cay a stop in the Bahamas is required. Nassau was not one of our favorite stops.