Hurricane Irma Watch

First cruise ever and Ms Irma is making me nervous!!! Will Carnival call/email if the cruise is cancelled or do they make that decision last minute? I fly to Orlando 9/9 leaving on 9/10 Liberty to Bahamas, plus excursions are paid. Any help with what to do please share!! Ty.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Best to ask this on the dedicated Carnival forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

My worst case scenario is we fly down on the 9th and then last minute Royal cancels our Sept 10th cruise (similar to how they handled Liberty), then we are stuck in a potential disaster zone. I'd much rather deal with a cancelled cruise then risk the safety of my fiancee and me.

We are also on that cruise and are flying down on the 9th. I wish I knew what to do.

We are on the Allure 9/10 as well, flying in on 9/9..this week rccl made a decision only 1 day before in changing itinerary for the 9/3 sailing...I would be fine if it were only that. What happens if we fly in and now Allure can't return to port and we are stuck in a hurricane..what a mess..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are also on that cruise (my first cruise) and I'm so excited to go but not sure if it will even happen. I'm thinking we should fly in on the 8th now.

We are out in the Allure on the 10th as well. I'll be in Florida for work, but my wife, daughter, and mother in law fly in Sunday morning. Probably going to change that to Saturday. I lived in South Florida for 12 years and most of these turn north, but you never know. Only concern now is getting the Allure back to port on the 10th for our departure.

Decidiing what to do as a hurricane approaches is always difficult. We were vacationing in St.Martin one August and the resort notified us that two hurricanes were tracking toward the island. They suggested two options: evacuate (if the hurricane hit it would be more than a week before the airport would reopen) or stay and take our chances (but the employees of the resort would not be working). We decided to stay. 24 hours later the hurricanes turned and missed the island and we continued our wonderful vacation. Looking back at that decision I think we were crazy!!!:o

They can't, they just wouldn't admit it until people had already gotten themselves stranded in Houston trying to get to a port that had been closed for a couple of days, at RC's insistence they would sail as planned.

(I'm supposed to sail RC out of Orlando on the 17th AND Irma is currently aimed at my state for around the time I would be leaving town for the trip, so I'm a little anxious. And yes, I have trip insurance.)

Orlando is land locked. Port Canaveral is where the cruise ships dock. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the 9/15 sailing of Majesty OTS, I'm watching Irma to see if our ship will be delayed out of PC. Fingers crossed she dissipates at some point soon. Good luck to all the cruisers heading out over the week and weekend, we will all be watching the storm and sending positive cruise vibes your way!!

If we do get to go to the Bahamas and if the hurricane does do damage, are we allowed to bring anything with us to donate to the port? Bottles of water or clothing? Seems like a thing we could easily do, if allowed, as we would be the next large group of people to that area if the storm passes through.

Hmmm...looks like I will be able to get into Orlando fine on the 9th. Where we go from there will be a mystery. Hotel in Cocoa Beach for the 9th, supposed to sail on Oasis the 10th. If my sailing gets canceled, I can always rent a car and drive to the west coast and stay at my in-laws place in Punta Gorda, or hope to get something in Orlando, I guess. Ugh.