Solo Travelers?

CatsinShow

I'm thinking about booking a solo cruise on the Serenade on Dec 15, 2017 out of Fort Lauderdale. I don't really have flexibility on traveling due to my work schedule. Due to the date, I'm assuming there will be lots of kids which I expect and figure I would just make use of the indoor adult's pool for quiet time.

I went on a NCL cruise over the summer in Alaska and there was no cruise coordinator to arrange events for solo cruisers. I met a few people who said that some cruises have this and others don't. Does RC usually have someone who puts together happy hours, dinners, and fun events for solo cruisers?

I've never been on a RC cruise. I've done NCL and the service and food has just gotten worse than I remember, and Carnival just well...it's Carnival.

Thanks

Sailed by myself on Serenade B2B2B last 3 yrs, doing this Nov into Dec also. Yes not many kids, maybe 100 at most couple weeks before Xmas. They do have get together for singles, meet for lunch, at Lounge at nite. Was more ladies then men showing up though. If it rains, kids are allowed in Solarium.

I cruised solo to the Med on the Brilliance last year and loved it. I didn't bother to see if there were any events though as I'm not really cruising to make friends and be all social but rather to just get away and chill.

I had MTD and had a 2-top table to myself, but the people around me and I chatted a little bit, which was fine - but I never felt pressured to talk with them or to do anything with them.

Norwegian Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, and Escape have studio cabins designed speciafically for solo travelers. They have a studio lounge with a happy hour every day from 5:30-7 or so, a solo coordinator, solo get togethers, etc. These rooms also qualify for one "free" perk, similar to an inside room. Their older ships, which generally sail Alaska, do not have this. May want to give them a try.

As for Royal Caribbean, Serenade will likely be similar to your previous NCL experience but they do have some solo gettogethers. Kids WILL be in school, however, so you'll be fine there.

Norwegian Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, and Escape have studio cabins designed speciafically for solo travelers. They have a studio lounge with a happy hour every day from 5:30-7 or so, a solo coordinator, solo get togethers, etc. These rooms also qualify for one "free" perk, similar to an inside room. Their older ships, which generally sail Alaska, do not have this. May want to give them a try.

As for Royal Caribbean, Serenade will likely be similar to your previous NCL experience but they do have some solo gettogethers. Kids WILL be in school, however, so you'll be fine there.

Yeah I know that about NCL but I want to try RC and I liked their itinerary better. The prices were around the same around this date too.

Sailed solo on the Serenade last year. Other than a lunch for solo travelers there were no actual organized events on board. The lunch was not well attended - only three people showed up!

I have cruised solo on the Serenade, Navigator and Independence. All were pretty much the same. I enjoyed all three cruises. Trivia seems to be popular and I met many nice people. Also had no problems with meals. I enjoy breakfast and lunch in the MDR and always asked for a table to share. Also did traditional dining with a large table.

Solarium is nice to relax and chill. No children under 16 are allowed. Found plenty of friendly people in the bars and general seating areas. You can be just as quiet and "solo" as you want to be.

Would suggest joining your roll call. I met people through the roll call the night before in FLL at the Embassy Suites. We got off to a good start and often visited on board or around the pool.

Also fortune enough to have diamond and concierge lounge access so spent time there too.

No more NCL for me. Rather try RC.

I go solo all the time. You will meet plenty of people. And I usually hangout with the crew. I have some really good friends now from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure how you manage to hang out with the crew as they are not allowed to fraternize with passengers. They are usually too busy working/sleeping, unless you mean on shore.

Not sure how you manage to hang out with the crew as they are not allowed to fraternize with passengers. They are usually too busy working/sleeping, unless you mean on shore.

That's what I don't understand either. The ones I got "friendly" with more just casual conversations if I ran into them. Nothing beyond that.

I don't know where you get your info from, but crew can make friends with passengers.

I don't know where you get your info from, but crew can make friends with passengers.

Obviously, you can make friends with anyone. Your comment was that you "hungout" with them, thus questioning your comment, as did another poster. Never cruised where crew hung out with passengers. They normally are too busy, and are not allowed to mix and mingle with passengers or "hang out."

As these comments are directed towards someone planning to cruise solo, I think your comments are misleading.

Obviously, you can make friends with anyone. Your comment was that you "hungout" with them, thus questioning your comment, as did another poster. Never cruised where crew hung out with passengers. They normally are too busy, and are not allowed to mix and mingle with passengers or "hang out."

As these comments are directed towards someone planning to cruise solo, I think your comments are misleading.

If could possibly be officers or staff. They do have a tendency to hang out later in the clubs. They can mingle with passengers, crew like room and wait staff, cannot.

However, I can attest to partying with many of the crew back in the early 80's on my Sitmar cruises. They would even bring the alcohol to our cabins. Sometimes there would be 10 of us in an interior....LOL it was a lot different back then.

Wouldn't there be? The earliest I could actually be on a cruise would be Friday, Dec 15 which is usually the last day of school for kids before winter break.

I sail on Serenade every Oct/Nov/Dec, on these 10, 11, 12 nite cruises depends on on when holidays fall. If over Thanksgiving kids can be on threw first week of Dec, this yr only til Dec 4th. Over 150 kids on last yr. Then like you said this yr lot kids out on 15th of Dec, my Grandchild is yr round and they start Xmas break 14th of Dec this yr. I live in Michigan and Arizona. The year round kids get 3.5 weeks off and the reg schedule kids get 2.5 weeks off for Xmas break...