Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation, but I don't think Miami & Fort Lauderdale will be "uninhabitable" for months. You're talking about very large areas that may not even interact with the actual eyewall. And things don't have to change "drastically", there's still a lot of time for wobbles in the path.

Again--not saying there won't be devastation, because Florida is unlikely to escape fully. I'm just saying making definitive statements about what & where is premature.

You have your opinion and I have mine. If it were up to me I'd flip a switch and push the sucker out into the Atlantic away from all land.

Certainly you will agree that Miami/Ft. Lauderdale will not be able to debark or accept happy cruisers on this coming Tuesday or Wednesday or at anytime for the next week or two at least.

And RCCL should cancel NOW all cruises through the end of September.

Royal Caribbean using its own cruise ship to evacuate employees

Royal Caribbean is putting its employees aboard one of its own majestic ships to get them out of the path of Hurricane Irma.

The employees and their dependents will board the Enchantment of the Seas, a thousand-foot ship that can handle almost 2,500 passengers, and churn to calmer waters before the hurricane slams into Florida this weekend.

[...]

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/news/companies/royal-caribbean-hurricane-irma/index.html

Very cool of RC to do this.....

So since I purchased insurance through Royal Caribbean what are my options if I chose to not go on the Harmony on the 23rd? If the ship sails and my home over here on the west coast doesn't sustain damage then we will be wanting to go. if we sustain damage to our home can I cancel?

So since I purchased insurance through Royal Caribbean what are my options if I chose to not go on the Harmony on the 23rd? If the ship sails and my home over here on the west coast doesn't sustain damage then we will be wanting to go. if we sustain damage to our home can I cancel?

If they don't cancel the cruise, or you don't cancel for a covered reason, then the most you will get is 75% of what you paid for the cruise as a cruise credit to be used on a future cruise within a year.

Yes, but they're giving people a choice.

1 - sail a shortened sailing. You will receive 50% of what you paid as a refundable on board credit and 50% as a future cruise credit. You're essentially getting.free 4 or 5 day cruise (obviously you'll spend something on board).

2 - decide not to sail and receive 100% of what you paid as a future cruise credit.

They are not forcing anyone to travel to Florida or sail on the 12th or 13th.

Some people, like the OP, are just complaining that that they just don't get a complete cash refund like those folks who's cruises have been cancelled.

"Some people, like the OP, are just complaining that that they just don't get a complete cash refund like those folks who's cruises have been cancelled."

You just don't get it do you? It could literally be a life or death situation here for anyone attempting to come in to make the modified cruise, let alone all of the Floridian's that are in harms way. How you can be so dense not to get that blows my mind. There is no crystal ball right now on exactly where this thing hit's. It's NOT about the money right now, it's about safety and a cruiseline not willing to deter their cruisers from coming into a potentially catastrophic situation just so they can mitigate some fiscal loss.

For some insight on what a cat 4 can do at landfall, one of the coastal cities hit by Harvey two weeks ago now has no school district. They have canceled classes indefinitely because they lost all their buildings. Any families that still have homes have to either move or send their kids to live with relatives in order for them to go to school this year.

unless things change drastically over the next little while Irma is going to suck up the Mia/Ftl area and spit it back out into the Atlantic Ocean.

Mia/Ftl is going to be uninhabitable for weeks if not months. .

Things don't look good, but seriously, get a grip. Those statements are simply ridiculous.

1 - sail a shortened sailing. You will receive 50% of what you paid as a refundable on board credit and 50% as a future cruise credit. You're essentially getting.free 4 or 5 day cruise (obviously you'll spend something on board).

2 - decide not to sail and receive 100% of what you paid as a future cruise credit.

Some people, like the OP, are just complaining that that they just don't get a complete cash refund like those folks who's cruises have been cancelled.

You do realize that not everyone has the luxury of flexibility and/or the ability to change dates, or take additional vacations. Dh and I are both self employed in a profession that requires us to book our holidays at least a year in advance. I can tell you today which holidays we are taking, and when right up until the end of 2018 and into the beginning of 2019. If I had to sit down and look at dates where we both would be available between now and the end of 2018 I might be able to find a week or two but Im skeptical that I could. A one year credit wouldn't work well for us.

Others perhaps cant afford higher prices, for some it may be a honeymoon and they might instead want to go when it is their honeymoon and not 6 months late. I could go on and on with a myriad of reasons. Fact is a 7 day cruise was booked. This isn't simply a change in itinerary, but a complete change of cruise and if the product having been contracted for is no longer available they should be getting their money back. Add to that in order to even get the new product the passenger needs to pt their lives in danger imho its a no brainer that refunds need to be offered.

Here's the problem... given RCI's past MO, #1 is probably total BS!!!! They've been telling people the cruise is on in similar situations, only to cancel it within 24 hours before the departure time... after they've shown up. Have you been reading the experiences people have been posting about with this scenario in the past?

I've been to many islands after a Hurricane hits, you'd be surprised for fast they get most everything back up, they want and need tourist $$$. Worst had was St Maarten was hit 20 yrs ago, Cruise ship pier was taken out but they just tendered everyone in for while. Myself, I'm set go to St Maarten, St Kitts & Antigua in Nov/Dec like I have last 5 yrs in row. Just hope they aren't hit that bad, feel for them...

I'd say it's a wait and see on which islands are ready for tourists. One of the Sonesta properties on St Maarten is cancelling all reservations through the end of the year. We were there in May and it breaks my heart thinking of the devastation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are supposed to be on Harmony on the 9th, but it will sail on the 12th for 4 nights instead, with a 50% refundable OBC and 50% off a future cruise. This is a good offer, however we live in Panama City, Fl., which is 550 miles from Ft. Lauderdale and the highways might be damaged, plus it might be hard to find gas, also will the port and staff be able to open. Yes, we did buy insurance but you only get a75% refund. I am going to call tomorrow and ask what is the latest time to make a decision.

The area airports are planning to close for the weekend. If the ship is going to sail on Tuesday the 12th, than that means arriving on Monday the 11th. That is a very tight window. What if the airports are not ready then?

You do realize that not everyone has the luxury of flexibility and/or the ability to change dates, or take additional vacations. Dh and I are both self employed in a profession that requires us to book our holidays at least a year in advance. I can tell you today which holidays we are taking, and when right up until the end of 2018 and into the beginning of 2019. If I had to sit down and look at dates where we both would be available between now and the end of 2018 I might be able to find a week or two but Im skeptical that I could. A one year credit wouldn't work well for us.

Others perhaps cant afford higher prices, for some it may be a honeymoon and they might instead want to go when it is their honeymoon and not 6 months late. I could go on and on with a myriad of reasons. Fact is a 7 day cruise was booked. This isn't simply a change in itinerary, but a complete change of cruise and if the product having been contracted for is no longer available they should be getting their money back. Add to that in order to even get the new product the passenger needs to pt their lives in danger imho its a no brainer that refunds need to be offered.

You do realize the contract that you agreed to gives Royal Caribbean the right to alter itinerary as needed, right? Per the contract they zero obligation to give any refunds, and there's not much you can do about it. I appreciate that it is frustrating for a lot of people, but Royal Caribbean also has the expectation that you will honor the contract you agreed to and they're offering much more than they are required to per the contract. If you are so inflexible in your schedule, I would recommend buying a form of "cancel for any reason" insurance, in which case the insurance company would reimburse you a portion of your fare in cash, not Future Cruise Credit. Especially if sailing during hurricane season.

Depending on how this storm goes there's a chance they completely cancel the sailings, in which case full refunds would be issued.

the hope of people ignoring every weather forecast I saw would not seem worthy of paying for....

There was a pretty obvious storm hitting that Friday way before there sailing, and it was supposed according to the forecasts sit there and rain and rain...

Does personal responsibility ever come into play?

Apparently, not anymore.

JC

What about corporate responsibility?

The cruiseline is already offering you lower fares for sailing in hurricane season...that is the trade off you accept.

You should read your cruise contract before purchasing your cruise (or any travel)...and ask LOTS of questions. Don't just shell out a bunch of money without knowing consequences.

Why would the cruiseline insure you? That is your responsibility. When you book, they ask you if you would like to take the insurance (although their own usually sucks), but you are made aware. I go through insuremytrip.

If they offer you FCC, you will be receiving your cruise....at a later date. You will be made whole.

I already have my cruises set for 2018. An FCC does me no good.

My thought too, how can you be able to go the 10th not be able to go on the 13th.

Personally I think the offer is pretty fair.

Unable to fly. Roads closed. Unable to buy gas. Your car is now on top of somebody's roof. Your hotel doesn't exist anymore. The roads are closed to all but local traffic.

You do realize the contract that you agreed to gives Royal Caribbean the right to alter itinerary as needed, right? Per the contract they zero obligation to give any refunds, and there's not much you can do about it. I appreciate that it is frustrating for a lot of people, but Royal Caribbean also has the expectation that you will honor the contract you agreed to and they're offering much more than they are required to per the contract. If you are so inflexible in your schedule, I would recommend buying a form of "cancel for any reason" insurance, in which case the insurance company would reimburse you a portion of your fare in cash, not Future Cruise Credit. Especially if sailing during hurricane season.

Depending on how this storm goes there's a chance they completely cancel the sailings, in which case full refunds would be issued.

There is a big difference between an "alteration" of an itinerary and a complete repudiation of the contract. I would argue that an alteration would include a change of ports and perhaps a slight modification to the number of days. A change that takes a cruise from a 7 day one to a 3 or 4 day cruise is not an alteration nor a modification. It is a change that completely alters the nature of the product purchased.

The more interesting argument from your point of view may be the act of god provisions that they might be able to stand behind.

Neither defense however eliminates their moral responsibility which is a whole different animal and will effect how good/bad they are seen as a corporate citizen, and imho they are not standing out as a shining star .

Charges must be disputed within x days of the charge. Chances are the date you made initial and final payments are outside of those x days and you can no longer dispute the charge.

Charges must be disputed within sixty days of receiving the bill with the disputed charge. Not within 60 days of the charge.

May payment just after the billing cycle. You will not get the bill for 30+ days. Then you have 60 days to dispute the charge.

Unable to fly. Roads closed. Unable to buy gas. Your car is now on top of somebody's roof. Your hotel doesn't exist anymore. The roads are closed to all but local traffic.

That is the reason I spent thousands on cruise insurance over the years. If roads are closed, flights are canceled, or a state of emergency is called, the insurance company will refund you. If you just don't feel comfortable because of the weather you can cancel with cancel for any reason insurance and get 75% back as a certificate to use on another cruise.

You are, of course, right, but unless they are giving away a free unicorn and unlimited cash, nobody here is going to feel that is fair.

They need damages to assuage their injuries due to having to make a decision to cruise or not to cruise from South Florida when a hurricane is bearing down on South Florida.

Of course the people living in South Florida will lose their homes, cars and possessions, but it hardly compares to missing a cruise and having to make a decision about that cruise.

JC

Umm... not much of that has happened yet. Why don't we see what happens. Corporate greed is hiring thousands of people and giving them a better life??? Giving people an easy way to visit the world while traveling in luxury.... I would say corporate greed might be more applicable to Facebook or Twitter where we suck dumb people into sharing every aspect of their lives in public and making them unemployable...

RCI operates cruise ships, if you want to sail this week out of south Florida odds are you aren't...

Where is the greed. People booked the cruise knowing that they could cancel it. Ignorance isn't really a defense. If they cancel they will be given a pretty good offer, and if they are dumb enough to fight the salmon flowing upstream from Miami / FLL and they get to that point as the storm wipes them out. I say hurrah for giving it the full wellie!!! Vacations are more important than life, says everyone stuck in a cubicle....

Just joking, but with a large measure of truth behind the joke.

Jc

There is a big difference between an "alteration" of an itinerary and a complete repudiation of the contract. I would argue that an alteration would include a change of ports and perhaps a slight modification to the number of days. A change that takes a cruise from a 7 day one to a 3 or 4 day cruise is not an alteration nor a modification. It is a change that completely alters the nature of the product purchased.

The more interesting argument from your point of view may be the act of god provisions that they might be able to stand behind.

Neither defense however eliminates their moral responsibility which is a whole different animal and will effect how good/bad they are seen as a corporate citizen, and imho they are not standing out as a shining star .

I feel for you. I'm not cruising until Nov/Dec but supposed go to St Martin and Thomas twice on my B2B2B2B's. Unfortunately this is nothing new, cruise lines do this almost every yr, be it ship with Mechanical issues or weather: Harvey, Mathew, Sandy. Ships stay out extra 1-3 days, next one sails short those days and get them prorated usually with offer like now, sometimes not. Couple storms had ships sailing on cruise to nowhere, all sea days. They usually never cancel. Been cruising 30 yrs and had over dozen times at least one port change for all, can't remember ever getting any $ for changes. One thing do remember is yrs ago if ship missed a port they didn't even give you the Port Tax back.