Ft Lauderdale Webcam Still Running

ger_77

Wow, I just looked at the PTZtv Ft. Lauderdale webcam that overlooks the 17th Street causeway - it looks like a ghost town. At most I saw 3 vehicles crossing the bridge in either direction. Sending good vibes to everyone in Irma's path.

http://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Same with the Key West cam; windy, but that's all for now; lots of small boats in the water

http://www.keywestharborwebcam.com/

Same with the Key West cam; windy, but that's all for now; lots of small boats in the water

I just saw an interview with the Curator of Hemingway House on Key West - he and 10 other staff members, along with the 54 cats are staying to ride out the hurricane. He feels it will be less stressful for everyone than crating up 27 cats in 2 vans for at least a 23 hour ride to safety. I'm thinking I'd take a chance on stressing the kitties a little.:rolleyes:

I just saw an interview with the Curator of Hemingway House on Key West - he and 10 other staff members, along with the 54 cats are staying to ride out the hurricane. He feels it will be less stressful for everyone than crating up 27 cats in 2 vans for at least a 23 hour ride to safety. I'm thinking I'd take a chance on stressing the kitties a little.:rolleyes:

I saw that too. He is determined that the house will stand and he will protect the artifacts and the cats. He has vet medications, etc. Plus the normal storm stuff.

I hope they stay safe and, if the house is that safe, that they let others in that need comfort and shelter.

God be with everyone that is faced with Irma.

The kitties aren't going to enjoy the storm surge, they don't tread water well! Hoping the best for all of them. I'm sure there will be others remaining in evacuation zones.... I pray they have a good plan to shelter in place but I fear the Keys will suffer greatly. I have a sister with a home there and it's not looking like she'll have one next week, but she and her family evacuated, and we'll deal with what comes next. m--

The kitties aren't going to enjoy the storm surge, they don't tread water well! Hoping the best for all of them. I'm sure there will be others remaining in evacuation zones.... I pray they have a good plan to shelter in place but I fear the Keys will suffer greatly. I have a sister with a home there and it's not looking like she'll have one next week, but she and her family evacuated, and we'll deal with what comes next. m--

Exactly what I was thinking - a storm surge could take out the house, no matter how thick the walls are, and cats - even polydactyls - don't like water a whole lot. I think it's foolish to "ride it out" - they should have enlisted a few people with vehicles to take cats in their crates and headed out of there well before it came to this.

Wow, I just looked at the PTZtv Ft. Lauderdale webcam that overlooks the 17th Street causeway - it looks like a ghost town. At most I saw 3 vehicles crossing the bridge in either direction. Sending good vibes to everyone in Irma's path.

http://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

Thanks for the heads-up, I just went to take a look. One car going in each direction, that was it. No boat movement.

I saw that too. Not a very personable man. Especially when he made it clear that they were not a shelter should anyone nearby need shelter.....

Sad to see, however, especially when I think back to how lovely the place looked back in April. In fact, I vowed to return and spend a week in Key West, not just a day from a cruise.

Would a storm surge reach the Hemingway House? Wind damage would be more possible, I would think.

Prayers for all in Key West and in the path of Irma!

It could face both - not an easy decision to make by that curator - God protect them all incl. the cats

Exactly what I was thinking - a storm surge could take out the house, no matter how thick the walls are, and cats - even polydactyls - don't like water a whole lot. I think it's foolish to "ride it out" - they should have enlisted a few people with vehicles to take cats in their crates and headed out of there well before it came to this.

Every rescue org that I follow recommends leaving feral/semi-feral/community cats in place, that the stress of capture, confinement, human contact, relocation is potentially fatal to them :( -- that they are better off being allowed to remain "free" since they already have the skills to survive on the streets. Their survival instincts are strong. The thought of it nauseates me, leaving animals to their own devices in a disaster. But the advice comes from people who work with ferals and semi-ferals every day. I need but can't find a crying emoticon :(

A friend cares for a feral colony, and she has no choice but to leave them. My heart breaks just thinking about it :(

Every rescue org that I follow recommends leaving feral/semi-feral/community cats in place, that the stress of capture, confinement, human contact, relocation is potentially fatal to them -- that they are better off being allowed to remain "free" since they already have the skills to survive on the streets. Their survival instincts are strong. The thought of it nauseates me, leaving animals to their own devices in a disaster. But the advice comes from people who work with ferals and semi-ferals every day. I need but can't find a crying emoticon

A friend cares for a feral colony, and she has no choice but to leave them. My heart breaks just thinking about it

My heart breaks just thinking about the cats being left to their own devices. I've always had a soft spot for animals, cats in particular, and this just shakes me to the core. I thought while the cats at Hemingway House were semi-feral, they could be caught without issue for medications, etc. I guess all we can do is hope for the very best outcome for all - man and beast (not that the kitties are beasts!).

Would a storm surge reach the Hemingway House? Wind damage would be more possible, I would think.

Truman House is about 10 feet above sea level.

It looks like a lot of Key West is about 3-6 feet above sea level with the highest point about 18 feet.

The surge is in addition to the low or high tide, depending on what is occurring at the time.

Edited by Boytjie

Six of PTZtv's webcams are now down. In addition to the Maho Beach and St. Maarten ones, now Ft. Lauderdale SE, Ft. Lauderdale SW, Ft. Lauderdale Beach, and Miami Airport are not working.

Yes, only Key West is still up showing palm trees in the wind